Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Guest MattP

Starting "A New England" by G.R Searle today.

Been looking forward to reading this for a while, widely regarded as one of the best historical books ever written, a journey from the Victorian age to the end of the First World War. I love reading things like this and seeing what the hopes were for a future that we know as the past,

a new england.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, MattP said:

No better time to start this than now I think.Screenshot_2017-06-04-10-56-46.thumb.png.1f44547fd619551f2483e4ee149a59b3.png

Read a bit of it and you probably won't be surprised that I thought it was mostly bollocks. Whatever good points he makes have been made before and veers into silly christian fundamentalistism / conspiracy theory crap / tired nostalgia for a country that never existed. It is very well written though.

The book you posted before looks interesting though.

Edited by bovril

On 2017-6-4 at 21:10, baker11 said:

Off away on holiday next week. Has anyone any good sports books they would recommend? 

As for footballing autobiographies,  try Gordon Banks and Jimmy Greaves.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-26 at 07:47, MattP said:

Starting "A New England" by G.R Searle today.

Been looking forward to reading this for a while, widely regarded as one of the best historical books ever written, a journey from the Victorian age to the end of the First World War. I love reading things like this and seeing what the hopes were for a future that we know as the past,

a new england.jpg

Looks interesting,  was it a decent read? 

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Magictv said:

Looks interesting,  was it a decent read? 

Tremendous, incredible depth and terrific to read in hindsight. 

Terrifying as well as times that no one had any idea of what was coming.

Finally got round to reading Vardy's book. Almost finished it and I have to say it made me a little emotional reading about the title win. 

It's a great read about someone who has made plenty of mistakes but doesn't claim to perfect. Despite his brushes with the law and 'Japgate' you can't help but be impressed by the man. Talk about hard work and determination! 

Can't help but love the guy!