Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Madeleine McCann

So why haven't the british police prosecuted the mccanns?

They have no jurisdiction in Portugal Moose. And as they've been looking for drug crazed gangs, paedo gangs, a man resembling the photokit the McCanns held for 5 years, Ocean Club opportunist thieves, gypsies or a dead black farmer, whilst digging up places originally searched, lit doesn't look like they have any intention of "prosecuting" either.

Edited by l444ry

As far as I'm aware, no jurisdiction in portugal means they can't go to portugal and start arresting portuguese citizens. The McCanns are british citizens living in britain. If the british police had sufficient evidence to prosecute them, they could and surely would.

Edited by MooseBreath

Kate (let's have a drink) McCann on tele again tonight whinging about Portuguese police,

Nasty and snide remark

Anything for a bit of money eh.

As above. How do you know there's money involved? They haven't made a penny for themselves out of any of the appeals or TV appearances that are designed to keep the story in the news so as to maintain pressure to find Madeleine.

Grow up

Edited by Parafox

Nasty and snide remark

Not an entirely unfair one though: Regardless of what happened since, I think it's appalling in of itself to abandon such young children to go for a quick bevvy. Surely they should be liable to some form of legal punishment for negligence? On top of that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any instance of the McCanns holding their hands up and admitting that the whole think could have been avoided by being more aware of their parental responsibilities. I think people would feel a lot less like they're somehow pulling off the con of the century if they owned up to their own part in the whole tragic affair.

Next time buy a bottle to take back to the room.

Nasty and snide remark

As above. How do you know there's money involved? They haven't made a penny for themselves out of any of the appeals or TV appearances that are designed to keep the story in the news so as to maintain pressure to find Madeleine.

Grow up

Re your comment to me, as Carl says above! Edited by broughtonblue

Not an entirely unfair one though: Regardless of what happened since, I think it's appalling in of itself to abandon such young children to go for a quick bevvy. Surely they should be liable to some form of legal punishment for negligence? On top of that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any instance of the McCanns holding their hands up and admitting that the whole think could have been avoided by being more aware of their parental responsibilities. I think people would feel a lot less like they're somehow pulling off the con of the century if they owned up to their own part in the whole tragic affair.

Although it's not something I would do myself, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they left her in the way that they did because they thought she was safe.  If they thought they were taking a terrible risk then I expect they wouldn't have done that.  They're two highly paid healthcare professionals and as such I imagine and with their rational scientific minds are probably a bit more realistic about the risks of people breaking in and stealing your children than the rest of us.

Like I said, it's not something I would do, but it's not because I actually expect someone to spirit my kid away, I'm stopped because of the irrational part of your brain that blows things up out of all proportion including the risks of bad stuff happening to us.  I'm not suggesting everyone should put their kids to bed tonight and go out and get pissed, but if you did do that and someone did break into your house and take them away you'd have to be pretty blooming unlucky, wouldn't you?

As for prosecuting them...they're never going to see their kid again and it's their fault.  Retribution seems to me pointless and even cruel, and if you want to deter people from leaving their kids on their own, what bigger deterrent is needed than the outcome of the McCann's actions?

• Like 2

Nasty and snide remark

Grow up

I'm sure they're getting a tidy sum from book sales, interviews and magazines.

Although it's not something I would do myself, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they left her in the way that they did because they thought she was safe. If they thought they were taking a terrible risk then I expect they wouldn't have done that. They're two highly paid healthcare professionals and as such I imagine and with their rational scientific minds are probably a bit more realistic about the risks of people breaking in and stealing your children than the rest of us.

Like I said, it's not something I would do, but it's not because I actually expect someone to spirit my kid away, I'm stopped because of the irrational part of your brain that blows things up out of all proportion including the risks of bad stuff happening to us. I'm not suggesting everyone should put their kids to bed tonight and go out and get pissed, but if you did do that and someone did break into your house and take them away you'd have to be pretty blooming unlucky, wouldn't you?

As for prosecuting them...they're never going to see their kid again and it's their fault. Retribution seems to me pointless and even cruel, and if you want to deter people from leaving their kids on their own, what bigger deterrent is needed than the outcome of the McCann's actions?

Unfortunately, abduction by an intruder is only one of the things that may happen to an unattended child of 3; they also left their twins who were only babies.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense theories implicating them in the crime, but I cannot condone what they did do that night.

I'm sure it's something that haunts their every waking moment.

Unfortunately, abduction by an intruder is only one of the things that may happen to an unattended child of 3; they also left their twins who were only babies.

I don't subscribe to the nonsense theories implicating them in the crime, but I cannot condone what they did do that night.

I'm sure it's something that haunts their every waking moment.

Exactly this. I wasn't blaming them for the kidnapping - as you say, Seb, the likelihood of that happening is tiny - but it's simply horrendous parenting full stop. You'd expect "2 highly paid healthcare professionals" to demonstrate much more intelligence about leaving small children unattended. You can guarantee there'd be no media sympathy if they came home to find that Maddy had tried climbing the curtains and broke her neck, or that she'd swallowed something and choked to death on it. Who knows what a 3 year will do on its own?

Without "negligence" there is no abduction.

Yep.

A quick correction: They'd gone for dinner, not drinks, but the foolishness remains the same.

They need people to believe there was a window of opportunity for an abductor. That's why they go out of their way to insist they only checked the kids every 30 mins, despite the original Tapas 7 statements that suggest it was every15 minutes.

Edited by l444ry

And like someone else has said, I'm sure all that money (even if they weren't using it all to hire investigators) is a massive comfort to them when they see their daughters empty room at home.

Because, you know, money solves everything. Even losing a kid. 

Of course the fault is partially theirs for leaving her there in the first place and going to dinner, but somehow I think they're pretty aware of that too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This week a family has been locked up for taking their son away to try and get him treated and people are happy with this whilst the McCanns are given sympathy for going out on the piss or for diner with their mates whilst leaving 3 small kids alone.

Edited by Sir Fynwy

This week a family has been locked up for taking their son away to try and get him treated and people are happy with this whilst the McCanns are given sympathy for going out on the piss or for diner with their mates whilst leaving 3 small kids alone.

The majority of people weren't happy at all once the facts came out.