Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Technology!

Its like im living in an abusive relationship*, i love it, but every few weeks it just decides to treat me like a piece of shit and i spend ages trying to repair the relationship. I know i should walk away, but i cant!

*obviously not really 

Edited by ozleicester

13 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I think the issue there is that there's the C-16 bill in place in Canada that now allows transgender people to chase after anyone whose comments they deem "inappropriate" (as part of the Human Rights Act).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/senate-approves-transgender-rights-bill-after-delay-1.3461359

"You can't force me to call you something I don't want to call you" - or that's what I think is Peterson's point of view (I haven't had the time to delve deeper into the bill). It's again a clash between Freedom of Speech and basic Human Rights on a socio-politic scale, I guess.

Peterson has cited Nietzsche as the one person who foresaw events in the future, so I do see a lot of sympathy for that kind of outlook on his side, yes.

Right, of course - but again, you use the persons given name (rather than referring to their gender) and this problem goes away. I can see where he's coming from regarding this being a possible overextension of government power (and I would agree), but it's easily sidestepped by...you know, treating a person like they know themselves better than you know them.

Given that Nietzschean philosophy tends to point to future extinction, I think he's certainly prescient and a massively good thinker but I'm not entirely sure that's a road of thought we as a species want to go down.

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

When two of your best mates and favourite posters trade insults on FT because of differing political views.

#fvckpolitics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVY1V8fXBmY

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Given that Nietzschean philosophy tends to point to future extinction, I think he's certainly prescient and a massively good thinker but I'm not entirely sure that's a road of thought we as a species want to go down.

He is/was also a bit of a poster boy for fascism, which probably isn't an ideal reference point when criticising difference in people. 

On the whole he undoubtedly makes some reasoned and intelligent points, but some of what he says seems to go too far the other way. I find it odd to think that he and others are effectively the modern equivalent of Plato and Nietzsche etc. 

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

He is/was also a bit of a poster boy for fascism, which probably isn't an ideal reference point when criticising difference in people. 

On the whole he undoubtedly makes some reasoned and intelligent points, but some of what he says seems to go too far the other way. I find it odd to think that he and others are effectively the modern equivalent of Plato and Nietzsche etc. 

I don't really blame him for that though - it's not like he asked for his philosophy to be twisted and appropriated by the fascists.

Like I said, my main bugbear is that the way he describes life heading - just like Hobbes - ends in only one logical outcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don't really blame him for that though - it's not like he asked for his philosophy to be twisted and appropriated by the fascists.

Like I said, my main bugbear is that the way he describes life heading - just like Hobbes - ends in only one logical outcome.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's like when the Tories tried to appropriate The Smiths, nobody should have to suffer that pain.

• Haha 1

Insurance. 

Some daft cow in a huge BMW x5 reversed into me at Fosse Park and said that it was "50/50". I disputed and Fosse Park have said that they can't find any CCTV footage of the incident. Of course her car was unscathed and my hatchback has a dent in the boot and a crack in the bumper. The best I can get is "split liability", so I won't claim. My premiums go up and hers stay the same. 

Don't get a new car unless its a ****ing tank, because then you can just crash into people and get away with it, as long as it isn't on camera. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

29 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Insurance. 

Some daft cow in a huge BMW x5 reversed into me at Fosse Park and said that it was "50/50". I disputed and Fosse Park have said that they can't find any CCTV footage of the incident. Of course her car was unscathed and my hatchback has a dent in the boot and a crack in the bumper. The best I can get is "split liability", so I won't claim. My premiums go up and hers stay the same. 

Don't get a new car unless its a ****ing tank, because then you can just crash into people and get away with it, as long as it isn't on camera. 

Shoulda slapped the bitch tbh. If it's not on camera she walked into your hand. 

• Haha 1

Insurers/DPD

One of them have cocked up somewhere and now my parcel containing my repaired mobile phone is missing.  DPD claimed that the reference number gave to me by the insurers belongs to another address not mine.  Thanks god I am not working today so I am able to chase it down.  Stay tuned for the conclusion of this exciting saga.  

Edited by The Blur

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Insurers/DPD

One of them have cocked up somewhere and now my parcel containing my repaired mobile phone is missing.  DPD claimed that the reference number gave to me by the insurers belongs to another address not mine.  Thanks god I have today off so I am able to chase it down.  Stay tuned for the conclusion of this exciting saga.  

I had similar to this when waiting for my new phone from O2, delivered by DPD. Never turned up despite it saying delivered on the tracking system. After a week of calls to O2 and DPD finally discovered that it had somehow been stolen in transit and was being used in Newcastle and they were both blaming each other.

2 minutes ago, pds said:

I had similar to this when waiting for my new phone from O2, delivered by DPD. Never turned up despite it saying delivered on the tracking system. After a week of calls to O2 and DPD finally discovered that it had somehow been stolen in transit and was being used in Newcastle and they were both blaming each other.

Blimey,  that sounds like a nightmare.  How would DPD claim that it was delivered if it was stolen though?  Did you get a replacement?   

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Insurers/DPD

One of them have cocked up somewhere and now my parcel containing my repaired mobile phone is missing.  DPD claimed that the reference number gave to me by the insurers belongs to another address not mine.  Thanks god I am not working today so I am able to chase it down.  Stay tuned for the conclusion of this exciting saga.  

Have you looked behind your neighbour's dustbin?

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Constant references in the press calling the 4 murderous jihadis the "Beatles"

just feckin stop 

I think they were known by that by fellow IS members.

Doubt such a well-recognised company, also one in the UK, would make that term up for them themselves..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

51 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I think they were known by that by fellow IS members.

Doubt such a well-recognised company, also one in the UK, Would make that term up for them themselves..

I think the point Wymsey is that in using that name you are giving credence/infamy to them and that is what they want. They should be deprived of that at all costs.

11 hours ago, pds said:

Nightmare.  How was you trip to Newcastle by the way?  Did you sell that tech you were trying to offload the other day ? ?