Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm so bored of old people telling the world how great they were back in the day and how they made it into school even if there were 90ft snow drifts with their feet covered in blocks of ice. Totally ignoring the outside factors of why schools close, from bus companies not doing their rounds, teachers affected by their kids' school closures and the general health and safety aspect of an unsafe school.

I always think these people would be the first onto Injury Lawyers4U when their darling child slips over and bangs their head in the school grounds.

I just think we were less soft years ago. We didn't try and take a day off because there was a bit of snow on the ground, we just got to work a bit late. And if we fell over on the ice, we put it down to the weather, and didn't try to blame someone else. Compensation wasn't even a thing, but then we had something called common sense, which seems to be lacking in the younger generation. 

Good grief, I sound old

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I just think we were less soft years ago. We didn't try and take a day off because there was a bit of snow on the ground, we just got to work a bit late. And if we fell over on the ice, we put it down to the weather, and didn't try to blame someone else. Compensation wasn't even a thing, but then we had something called common sense, which seems to be lacking in the younger generation. 

Good grief, I sound old

I'm not sure what you're defining as "younger generation," are you saying it's just the under 30's who slap in compensation requests if they slip on the ice? Is it definitely just young people who try to jib a day of work if there's snow?

Here's an 83 year old trying to sue the Council for slipping on the ice... is he the younger generation?

Here's a 59 year old trying to sue the Council for clipping on the ice... is he the younger generation? 

Or are they both bereft of common sense, I'm not sure?

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm not sure what you're defining as "younger generation," are you saying it's just the under 30's who slap in compensation requests if they slip on the ice? Is it definitely just young people who try to jib a day of work if there's snow?

Here's an 83 year old trying to sue the Council for slipping on the ice... is he the younger generation?

Here's a 59 year old trying to sue the Council for clipping on the ice... is he the younger generation? 

Or are they both bereft of common sense, I'm not sure?

I dunno, but you said that you thought people would be moaning if their children fell over in the playground, so I doubt you were talking about 83 or 59 year old's either :whistle:

Advertising and Stupid people, obviously the two go together, but ffs, lets all grow up a bit, or at least become a little less obsessed with "Brands".

People PAYING to advertise a business on their shirts, glasses, hats, etc etc.

If you are wearing, or have worn anything like this, you are a twat...

Image result for polo ralph shirt

Image result for trendy glasses brand

Yes its fine if you buy a brand for its quality, but if the logo takes up more than a square inch, you are an advert and a sucker. And if you are buying any glasses cos they have got a name on them... :rolleyes:

Edit and the SUPER twats that pay for a "personalised number plate and use ti to advertise the make of their fking car!!!

Related image

Edited by ozleicester

11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Good grief, I sound old

If you’re past a certain age then you also got smashed with a cane for stepping out of line at a school, might have started full time work in a dangerous factory or coal mine at the age of about 14, and always had a good chance at being sent out to die a gruesome death in a war based on nothing else but some bloke’s ego.

Since then we’ve fought for our rights and for a bit more equality, such that risking life and limb to get to work in a snowstorm just to help the business to which you are just a number make a profit is no longer seen by many as morally impressive, but rather as naive foolishness.

Stay at home if it’s dangerous folks. Business profits aren’t worth risking your life for.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, oakman said:

The TUI advert with the gap-toothed girl singing. Her voice goes right through me.

Also have to put to TV on mute whenever a Go Compare ad comes on.

lol I hate that TUI advert, I have to switch off every time it comes on the tv. Her voice just does my head in for some reason

If you google it, you just find tons of people saying how annoying it is lol

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/184/854/474/get-rid-of-the-annoying-tui-advert/

Edited by MrSpaM

16 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Advertising and Stupid people, obviously the two go together, but ffs, lets all grow up a bit, or at least become a little less obsessed with "Brands".

Image result for polo ralph shirt

Image result for trendy glasses brand

Yes its fine if you buy a brand for its quality, but if the logo takes up more than a square inch, you are an advert and a sucker. And if you are buying any glasses cos they have got a name on them... :rolleyes:

Edit and the SUPER twats that pay for a "personalised number plate and use ti to advertise the make of their fking car!!!

Related image

It is mysterious that, isn't it?

What's the thought process? Is there one?

16 hours ago, ozleicester said:

No need to be such a twat about it, what difference does it make to you?

Edited by ajthefox

On 2/28/2018 at 18:33, FoxesDeb said:

Good grief, I sound old

You don't sound old, you sound very sensible.

16 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

If you’re past a certain age then you also got smashed with a cane for stepping out of line at a school, might have started full time work in a dangerous factory or coal mine at the age of about 14, and always had a good chance at being sent out to die a gruesome death in a war based on nothing else but some bloke’s ego. Since then we’ve fought for our rights and for a bit more equality, such that risking life and limb to get to work in a snowstorm just to help the business to which you are just a number make a profit is no longer seen by many as morally impressive, but rather as naive foolishness.

I bet you're a right laugh down the pub lol

On 2/28/2018 at 18:25, oakman said:

The TUI advert with the gap-toothed girl singing. Her voice goes right through me.

The advert with Hold My Hand with Jess Glynne playing. Love the song but god it's repetitive, especially if on one of their planes and there's no escape. Aggggghhhhhh.

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You don't sound old, you sound very sensible.

I bet you're a right laugh down the pub lol

I think there's a point there though tbh - way too many people view the past through rose-tinted glasses and (more importantly) let the way they view it affect the future.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think there's a point there though tbh - way too many people view the past through rose-tinted glasses and (more importantly) let it affect the future.

I take his point too - there have been many improvements in society - but we didn't need things like "Please don't try this at home" warnings.

We got on with stuff, we didn't complain as much, we weren't particularly mollycoddled. 

I think we were a generation with a thicker skin and more backbone.

God, I'm only 44, this makes me sound 70 haha.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I take his point too - there have been many improvements in society - but we didn't need things like "Please don't try this at home" warnings.

We got on with stuff, we didn't complain as much, we weren't particularly mollycoddled. 

I would agree that life was probably harder and so people needed to be tougher through necessity.

However the whole idea of progress is to make life easier for future generations so that toughness is no longer needed, I would think? Otherwise, what would be the point of all that graft and toughness in the first place?

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I would agree that life was probably harder and so people needed to be tougher through necessity.

However the whole idea of progress is to make life easier for future generations so that toughness is no longer needed, I would think? Otherwise, what would be the point of all that graft and toughness in the first place?

Making life easier for future generations is one thing (one great thing) but that doesn't mean we should become a society of moaning softies. As with most things, there's a balance to be had.

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Making life easier for future generations is one thing (one great thing) but that doesn't mean we should become a society of moaning softies. As with most things, there's a balance to be had.

I do hear this said a lot, and I'm curious as to why not?

Is it because people think the world will always be a dangerous place and so humans have to stay sharp to stay one step ahead of it? Or rather that humans will always be out to get a piece of each other and so we should be vigilant on that score? Or some other reason?

I'm honestly intrigued as to why the human race as a whole needs to have consistent doses of self-inflicted pain and misery - perhaps Nietzsche was right.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You're right, it does make you sound 70. You're only a few years outside the millenial generation.

Not sure how accurate your recollections actually are. Certainly in the 90's, health and safety warnings were already ubiquitos. There was perhaps less awareness of mental health and more of a 'stiff upper lip' thing going on, which was probably fine for most people, but not so good for those who suffered real mental health problems or from actual harassment.

I wonder what Barry Bennell's victims would have to say about the culture that said it was wrong to complain? What you see as moaning and complaining, others see as fighting for their rights. Admittedly it isn't always done in the right way, but give me someone who is willing to stand up for themselves over being subservient to some fictional hierarchy any day.

The fact that many of us can work from home with their laptop rather than chance a long waste of time on the train / roads when it snows is progress.

It is also a good thing that schools are responsible for our children when they are in their care.

Edited by Jon the Hat

31 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The fact that many of us can work from home with their laptop rather than chance a long waste of time on the train / roads when it snows is progress.

It is also a good thing that schools are responsible for our children when they are in their care.

And that grinds your gears? :huh:

14 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

People who CBA to clear their baskets from the express checkouts in supermarkets 

Grrrr

i love express checkouts. with all the dickheads using them, the cashiers are well quick