Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

Hospital parking charges.

Complete and utter disgrace - £3.90 for 1-4 hours. I was there for 1 hour 16 minutes so the 16 minutes cost me £2.50!

They have to fund it somehow while the Tories are in power. 

3 hours ago, Buce said:

They have to fund it somehow while the Tories are in power. 

I wonder how much of the money goes to the NHS and how much goes to the firm that patrols the car park?

The far left's and the media's push to make minority issues majority issues, the incompetence of grasping what Canadian clinical psychologist and U of T professor Jordan Peterson is talking about with regards to society and politics, covering it in hearsay, rumours, assumptions, theories.

No discourse or in-depth information at all, just one big smear campaign, wrapped in a slightly sophisticated paper, including this rather inflammatory piece of garbage in what used to be a proper left-wing newspaper:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest

I had never heard of him before the Cathy Newman interview on Channel 4, but have started to realize he's talking a lot of sense. And that he has a point. Articles like the one mentioned above are proof enough.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

Edited by MC Prussian

36 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The far left's and the media's push to make minority issues majority issues, the incompetence of grasping what Canadian clinical psychologist and U of T professor Jordan Peterson is talking about with regards to society and politics, covering it in hearsay, rumours, assumptions, theories.

No discourse or in-depth information at all, just one big smear campaign, wrapped in a slightly sophisticated paper, including this rather inflammatory piece of garbage in what used to be a proper left-wing newspaper:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest

I had never heard of him before the Cathy Newman interview on Channel 4, but have started to realize he's talking a lot of sense. And that he has a point. Articles like the one mentioned above are proof enough.

Has a point about what? He talks about loads of topics.

13 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Has a point about what? He talks about loads of topics.

I like his stance on Modern Feminism and the observation of today's media, so-called liberals and the danger to free speech, his reluctance to adhere to new policies that force people to avoid calling transgender a "he" or a "she" because we should all disregard basic biology and aren't allowed to make up our own mind, the Campus Culture (particularly the one in North America), the culture of victimizing whilst neglecting responsibilities, aso.

A fascinating man and one people on the left especially have a hard time grasping fully atm. Instead, they strikingly place him near the right-wing corner and don't seem to be interested in doing proper research at all. The Grauniad article makes strawman arguments, is full of personal observations, assumptions and subjective viewpoints, nothing what I'd call "journalism". It's a nicely formulated opinion piece.

I can see the current discourse developing into a Classical Philosophical Reasoning vs. Socio-Political debate in the long run. That's a boxing match I'd pay money for.

Edited by MC Prussian

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I like his stance on Modern Feminism and the observation of today's media, so-called liberals and the danger to free speech, his reluctance to adhere to new policies that force people to avoid calling transgender a "he" or a "she" because we should all disregard basic biology and aren't allowed to make up our own mind, the Campus Culture (particularly the one in North America), the culture of victimizing whilst neglecting responsibilities, aso.

A fascinating man and one people on the left especially have a hard time grasping fully atm. Instead, they strikingly place him near the right-wing corner and don't seem to be interested in doing proper research at all. The Grauniad article makes strawman arguments, is full of personal observations, assumptions and subjective viewpoints, nothing what I'd call "journalism". It's a nicely formulated opinion piece.

I can see the current discourse developing into a Classical Philosophical Reasoning vs. Socio-Political debate in the long run. That's a boxing match I'd pay money for.

Fair enough. 

Easy to see why people criticise though. Just look at the aggression in the words you've used - e.g. "a boxing match", and also that you refer to "the left" as if they're an opposition you want to fight. That's not to say what he says is wrong necessarily, but there is an irony in him claiming he finds other ideas "dangerous" while saying things he knows full well are inflammatory and will be used to justify tribal aggression. 

Just now, Rogstanley said:

Fair enough. 

Easy to see why people criticise though. Just look at the aggression in the words you've used - e.g. "a boxing match", and also that you refer to "the left" as if they're an opposition you want to fight. That's not to say what he says is wrong necessarily, but there is an irony in him claiming he finds other ideas "dangerous" while saying things he knows full well are inflammatory and will be used to justify tribal aggression. 

Oh, I concur.

But there's a difference between finding things "inflammatory" and being interested in a proper, civilized debate, though. The Grauniad is read by lots of people and neglects basic journalistic principles in my eyes. The article is bordering on the verge of slander and refutes to go any deeper. All you have to do today is accuse somebody of something (as a woman, I might add) and you're more than likely to get away with it.

All too often, I don't see that willingness to debate coming from the far-left or minority groups (feminists, transgender, etc.). Which I find is a shame.

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Oh, I concur.

But there's a difference between finding things "inflammatory" and being interested in a proper, civilized debate, though. The Grauniad is read by lots of people and neglects basic journalistic principles in my eyes. The article is bordering on the verge of slander and refutes to go any deeper. All you have to do today is accuse somebody of something (as a woman, I might add) and you're more than likely to get away with it.

All too often, I don't see that willingness to debate coming from the far-left or minority groups (feminists, transgender, etc.). Which I find is a shame.

Not sure if you saw it, but there was actually a pretty interesting debate regarding Peterson on the "grid girls" thread. He's certainly no alt-righter and it's ridiculous to attempt to label him as such, but regarding the trans issue, for one, it would indeed be easy for Peterson to not misgender a student by simply using their given name, or by, you know, accepting their right to identify as their chosen gender and not presuming to know that person better than they know themselves.

TBH at times he sounds like he espouses the same kind of Nietzschean nihilism as he accuses the far-left of embracing and he seems to disregard the importance of power structures considerably in his arguments. Suppose that goes with the territory considering he's not big on postmodernism, though.

Also, there were a couple of articles I found that offer a better counterpoint than the Grauniad piece to what he's said:

https://medium.com/@aaronhuertas/a-field-guide-to-jordan-petersons-political-arguments-312153eac99a

https://medium.com/the-abs-tract-organization/the-detraction-of-jordan-peterson-49a6b64a2bdf

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You really should stick to football. lol

I would say the same to you, but frankly you talk as much shit about that as you do about politics.

Talk about stealing a living.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not sure if you saw it, but there was actually a pretty interesting debate regarding Peterson on the "grid girls" thread. He's certainly no alt-righter and it's ridiculous to attempt to label him as such, but regarding the trans issue, for one, it would indeed be easy for Peterson to not misgender a student by simply using their given name, or by, you know, accepting their right to identify as their chosen gender and not presuming to know that person better than they know themselves.

TBH at times he sounds like he espouses the same kind of Nietzschean nihilism as he accuses the far-left of embracing and he seems to disregard the importance of power structures considerably in his arguments. Suppose that goes with the territory considering he's not big on postmodernism, though.

Also, there were a couple of articles I found that offer a better counterpoint than the Grauniad piece to what he's said:

https://medium.com/@aaronhuertas/a-field-guide-to-jordan-petersons-political-arguments-312153eac99a

https://medium.com/the-abs-tract-organization/the-detraction-of-jordan-peterson-49a6b64a2bdf

I think the issue there is that there's the C-16 bill in place in Canada that now allows transgender people to chase after anyone whose comments they deem "inappropriate" (as part of the Human Rights Act).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/senate-approves-transgender-rights-bill-after-delay-1.3461359

Bill C-16, which adds gender identity and expression as prohibited grounds for discrimination under Canadian law, was introduced more than a year ago (in 2016). MPs voted in favour of it last November and sent it on to the Senate, where senators raised concerns about it imposing limits on their speech.

It will also extend protection against hate propaganda to include gender identity and expression, as well as to include them as aggravating circumstances to be considered in sentencing for hate crimes.

"You can't force me to call you something I don't want to call you" - or that's what I think is Peterson's point of view (I haven't had the time to delve deeper into the bill). It's again a clash between Freedom of Speech and basic Human Rights on a socio-politic scale, I guess.

Peterson has cited Nietzsche as the one person who foresaw events in the future, so I do see a lot of sympathy for that kind of outlook on his side, yes.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Have you read his book? Had it on my list to read next, worth it?