Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

25 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Is it considered too late to send Christmas Cards on the 23rd (I'm personally hand delivering them this afternoon)?

Nah! Even shortly after Christmas is better than nowt.

It's all about keeping in touch with people you want to keep in touch with, isn't it?

Not a lot of point in sending cards to people you don't want to keep in touch with....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Does anyone else suspect that Zingari is now actually weller54?

Same sort of humour etc..

Not at all. They aren't similar in anyway. Zing was weird, but lighthearted and funny. Weller is an eternal pessimist, always looking at things in a bad way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

When they are making brandy, from either wine or cider, the wine/cider is distilled and comes out as a clear liquid. Is this just pure alcohol or does it retain some taste of the grapes/apple?

"The low-boiling point liquids distilled from wine include almost all of the alcohol, a small amount of water, and many of the wine's organic chemicals. It is these chemicals that give brandy its taste and aroma".

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Brandy.html#ixzz52alboN5n

• Like 1

On 18/12/2017 at 18:42, Walkers said:

Do you piss in the water in the toilet or up against the sides/back?

If I have a few litres of beery piss to shift I always do it in the water so that all those round me can hear that loud continuous manly splashing noise ...    if I'm just shifting an egg cup full, :oas happens as you get older, I carefully aim it quietly against the side ...  head lowered ...

On 21/12/2017 at 20:01, Webbo said:

Just watching a programme about how they make Christmas crackers. Do they have Christmas crackers abroad?

I've been abroad once at Christmas ...   and I can assure you Webster that there are some absolute crackers around !! ...   :D

Edited by Countryfox
Grammatical error quickly corrected before Peaky spots it !
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Has anyone ever consumed a copious amount of beetroot, then, the next day, taken a big poo and the beetroot juice leaks out of the poo and makes the toilet water pink? 

Asking for a friend. 

Yes.

You can buy beetroot juice in a carton. It's amazingly healthy but imo tastes fookin rank. And it does turn your pee red

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've just been offered a free upgrade on my swim membership to swim and gym, which I'm considering taking advantage of. What is the dress code for using a gym?

I doubt there is one, just whatever you are comfortable in that maintains your decency really.

I just go in shorts and a t-shirt.

Does anyone know anything about Go-Pro’s? I’m extremely shite with technology. 

Ive just bought a Hero 3+ silver or something (arriving tomorrow) 

I also bought an audio lead connection set for it too.

I’m learning to fly so want audio and video to aid my learning. 

The audio connection set comes with a 5mm jack lead that connects into the aircrafts radio. The lead then splits off to three other connections-

1. To my go pro

2. A female connection for my headset lead to go into 

3. A USB power bank lead connection

My question is- why do I need a power bank connected to it?

I assumed the aircrafts own power would power everything I need (as well as a fully charged go pro) 

Any advice would be great

cheers 

14 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Does anyone know anything about Go-Pro’s? I’m extremely shite with technology. 

Ive just bought a Hero 3+ silver or something (arriving tomorrow) 

I also bought an audio lead connection set for it too.

I’m learning to fly so want audio and video to aid my learning. 

The audio connection set comes with a 5mm jack lead that connects into the aircrafts radio. The lead then splits off to three other connections-

1. To my go pro

2. A female connection for my headset lead to go into 

3. A USB power bank lead connection

My question is- why do I need a power bank connected to it?

I assumed the aircrafts own power would power everything I need (as well as a fully charged go pro) 

Any advice would be great

cheers 

Power banks are for charging things when you don't have access to a mains socket, so you charge them at home and then they provide a mobile power supply (forgive me if you already knew that)  Presumably your Go Pro is also for use whilst on the move, for example on a push bike, so I would imagine you won't need to use one if yours is only going to be used while it's connected to a power supply (in the plane) 

Waiting to be corrected, but that is how I understand it 

On 12/28/2017 at 21:02, Webbo said:

When they are making brandy, from either wine or cider, the wine/cider is distilled and comes out as a clear liquid. Is this just pure alcohol or does it retain some taste of the grapes/apple?

From distant memories of wilder days, I'd recommend trying a few eaux de vie (fruit brandies). Each is clear but retains some taste of the original fruit: poire (pear fruit brandy) was my favourite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau_de_vie

I also have pleasant memories of Slivovitz (Balkan plum brandy): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz

I like the sound of their advertising for the beverage, too: "A popular print in Serbia depicts a moustached peasant wearing the šubara (fur hat), drinking Šljivovica from a leather-wrapped bottle, with the motto: Fvck the Cola, Fvck the Pizza, all we need is Šljivovica" :D

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Power banks are for charging things when you don't have access to a mains socket, so you charge them at home and then they provide a mobile power supply (forgive me if you already knew that)  Presumably your Go Pro is also for use whilst on the move, for example on a push bike, so I would imagine you won't need to use one if yours is only going to be used while it's connected to a power supply (in the plane) 

Waiting to be corrected, but that is how I understand it 

Cheers, that’s what I was thinking, but I didn’t want to get in the plane Saturday to find it wasn’t going to work! Fingers crossed!

How do restrictive covenants work with regards to redundancy? Had a call from a recruiter yesterday wanting to schedule time to speak about a role, and the brief details they've sent me, it would be similar to what I'm doing now and in the same industry. I've got a restrictive covenant in my contract, so if I were just looking to leave of my own accord I wouldn't be able to go for that job, but I'm looking for new roles on the basis of plans to close my department down, and the inevitable redundancy with it - would the clause still be active in that situation?

11 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

How do restrictive covenants work with regards to redundancy? Had a call from a recruiter yesterday wanting to schedule time to speak about a role, and the brief details they've sent me, it would be similar to what I'm doing now and in the same industry. I've got a restrictive covenant in my contract, so if I were just looking to leave of my own accord I wouldn't be able to go for that job, but I'm looking for new roles on the basis of plans to close my department down, and the inevitable redundancy with it - would the clause still be active in that situation?

From 2010, but may still be relevant:

https://www.ghplegal.com/ghp-insights/2010/09/qa-can-i-get-restrictive-covenants-removed-from-redundancy-agreement/

31 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I guess it depends what you do but unless you are very senior, would previous and prospective employers really enforce them? 

I work in professional services and I've seen loads of people move to and from competitors in similar roles with no problem whilst no doubt have such clauses in their contracts.

Not sure if anybody can help on this one!

I'll be getting married (all being well) in August in Warwickshire and have sorted pretty much all of the big things, the only outstanding point is travel for my fiancee from the house she is staying it the night previous to the ceremony venue and then for us both from the ceremony to the reception. I have looked around at a few websites and receiving quotes in excess of £350 for two journeys totalling around 15 miles. 

Naturally I want a nice car, but both of us begrudge throwing hundreds for the sake of a few nice photos. Anyone ever done anything as an alternative/any recommendations? She doesn't seem keen on either a black cab or a 5 mile walk pilgrimage :ph34r: