Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Puel has a lot of faults but to say he isn't good enough for the PL is silly. Two top 10 finishes in a row. I'm not saying he's perfect or a good fit for us but he's not a totally crap manager. 

Except he is not good enough, so it is not silly, if he was that good he would not be facing the sack for a second time and would be being head hunted by bigger clubs, his brand of football does not work and the only reason we are not outside the top ten yet is due to the clubs below us being so poor this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ithuriel said:

Except he is not good enough, so it is not silly, if he was that good he would not be facing the sack for a second time and would be being head hunted by bigger clubs, his brand of football does not work and the only reason we are not outside the top ten yet is due to the clubs below us being so poor this season.

So how do you explain his Southampton against Southampton this season?

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 17:06, Jimmy said:

Barney Ronay is a pathetic little moron, his defense of Spurs on a recent pod after the Cup defeat sounded like a man upset because someone was having a dig at his team rather than that of a professional journalist, he might be able to turn a phrase in print but he's no more knowledgeable than most on here

You mean his take down of Glendenning and the witches curse? I thought that was hilarious, it wasn't a  defence of Spurs just an attack on lazy journalism/punditry/Glenndenning.

46 minutes ago, Papasmurf said:

So how do you explain his Southampton against Southampton this season?

Southampton this season followed the trend set by Southampton in the second half of last season.

What happened there was very similar to his spell here. He started well as his emphasis on passing and controlling games improved the players as footballers and there were some good results and good performances. After a while the team lost it's edge, lost it's identity and evolved into a toothless team that passed it around with no penetration.

Southampton under Puel first half of 2016-17 season 6W 6D

Southampton under Puel second half of 2016-17 season 5W 4D (and very few goals especially at home)

Finished on 46 points (we are currently on 44)

Southampton under Pellegrino first half of 2017-18 season 4W 7D

Leicester second half of 2017-18 season 4 wins 5D (and very few goals especially at home)

Really apart from a 5 game unbeaten run at Southampton and a 5 game unbeaten run for us, his record is appalling. The fact that Pellegrino was worse doesn't change that. Puel isn't a bad manager but he isn't a Premier League manager, you need more than possession and passing to win games and in 60 odd games he still hasn't learned that and not changed his style to adapt.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

"Leicester would be a sideways move."

Jesus H Christ.

And they're calling us deluded idiots!

Maybe I'm biased, but I see us as a similar sized club to the likes of Southampton, WBA, Middlesbrough and Norwich. Obviously, Huddersfield are nowhere near that bracket. Tell me if any of that is crazy and outlandish.

As someone else said, this is reminiscent of the Nicky Maynard saga.

18 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Maybe I'm biased, but I see us as a similar sized club to the likes of Southampton, WBA, Middlesbrough and Norwich. Obviously, Huddersfield are nowhere near that bracket. Tell me if any of that is crazy and outlandish.

Club size is obviously very subjective but I’d have us down as bigger than WBA and Norwich, probably Middlesbrough too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Club size is obviously very subjective but I’d have us down as bigger than WBA and Norwich, probably Middlesbrough too.

Okay, but you might agree that we're roughly-speaking around the same size. I doubt you'd say that we, or any of the similar-sized clubs I mentioned, are even close to the same size as Huddersfield.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Norwich? Lol.

Ipswich > Norwich.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yeah, but they've won 3 top tier league titles

How many years ago? When the football league first stated and there wasn't many teams about? 

Cardiff to use Leicester City as role models in Premier League survival bid

The Welsh side will look for their own Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez after promotion from the Championship

By

Matt Davies

10:00, 8 MAY 2018

Cardiff City will use Leicester City as role models in their bid to play in the Premier League next season.

The Bluebirds were outsiders for promotion at the start of the current campaign, but they finished second in the Championship to go up to the top flight after a four year absence.

Their owner, Vincent Tan, has told the Daily Mail they will look to unearth their own Jamie Vardyand Riyad Mahrez in the same way as City landed two bargain price future Premier League stars.

Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez battles for possession with West Ham's Arthur Masuaku (Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

"We'll spend wisely," Tan said. "We'd like to learn from Leicester City and we'd like to learn from what Burnley have done.

"Maybe Crystal Palace and others - they stay in the league. They don't buy players for ridiculous amounts of money - that makes it very difficult for the owner.

"We're not going to spend like the top five or six clubs. We'll spend reasonably and make it sensible. Hopefully we'll be blessed and find another Jamie Vardy or Riyad Mahrez."

Then waste millions in subsequent seasons if they survive.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Then waste millions in subsequent seasons if they survive.

A bit late aren't they? We unearthed those 2 gems whilst still in the Championship, you won't get those kind of bargains as soon as every other club knows you have premier league money.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

How many years ago? When the football league first stated and there wasn't many teams about? 

First Division (top tier)

They were the 1st team to win 3 successive league titles their manager Herbert Chapman after winning the first two and an FA Cup went to Arsenal and won several League and cps there.

They're the Forest of the 1920/30s

Just now, davieG said:

Cardiff to use Leicester City as role models in Premier League survival bid

The Welsh side will look for their own Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez after promotion from the Championship

By

Matt Davies

10:00, 8 MAY 2018

Cardiff City will use Leicester City as role models in their bid to play in the Premier League next season.

The Bluebirds were outsiders for promotion at the start of the current campaign, but they finished second in the Championship to go up to the top flight after a four year absence.

Their owner, Vincent Tan, has told the Daily Mail they will look to unearth their own Jamie Vardyand Riyad Mahrez in the same way as City landed two bargain price future Premier League stars.

Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez battles for possession with West Ham's Arthur Masuaku (Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

"We'll spend wisely," Tan said. "We'd like to learn from Leicester City and we'd like to learn from what Burnley have done.

"Maybe Crystal Palace and others - they stay in the league. They don't buy players for ridiculous amounts of money - that makes it very difficult for the owner.

"We're not going to spend like the top five or six clubs. We'll spend reasonably and make it sensible. Hopefully we'll be blessed and find another Jamie Vardy or Riyad Mahrez."

Haha! Good luck with that!

Huddersfield Town lol

It will never stop amazing me how every fan in the country will shout about how the media lies about their players and club ect then harp on about what they read in the press when it comes to another... 

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Puel has a lot of faults but to say he isn't good enough for the PL is silly. Two top 10 finishes in a row. I'm not saying he's perfect or a good fit for us but he's not a totally crap manager. 

Have you seen our stats (see post on Puel thread) over the last half a season / 19 games? 

Weve amassed the sum total of 18pts.

Relegation form

Puel IS A SHIT MANAGER.

What more evidence do you require?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davieG said:

First Division (top tier)

They were the 1st team to win 3 successive league titles their manager Herbert Chapman after winning the first two and an FA Cup went to Arsenal and won several League and cps there.

They're the Forest of the 1920/30s

See that's what I mean. Non of there current fan base would have been alive. They're a nothing club Wagner would be stepping up coming to us simple as that 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Have you seen our stats (see post on Puel thread) over the last half a season / 19 games? 

Relegation form

Puel IS A SHIT MANAGER.

also his record at Southampton towards the end of the season he was there wasnt great either, didnt score in maybe 5 of the last home games(cant remember the correct figure)

while he might have got them into the top 10 there, wasnt it only like 6 points off 17th last season, so he might have got them in the top 10 but doesnt cloud the fact it wasnt great there for him,

Puel might have been a decent manager in France but here in England, hes proving atm to be a rather average and useless one atm imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Relegation form

Puel IS A SHIT MANAGER.

A season is 38 games. After one full season at Southampton and three quarters of a season here, he's not been outside the top ten.

Whether he's right for us now is another question.

Just now, Stan said:

A season is 38 games. After one full season at Southampton and three quarters of a season here, he's not been outside the top ten.

Whether he's right for us now is another question.

True, but the worrying thing is that at both Soton and here, he's started well and then got worse. The signs point to disaster next season.

We've been averaging a point a game for half a season now. The last good run is a distant memory.

14 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

True, but the worrying thing is that at both Soton and here, he's started well and then got worse. The signs point to disaster next season.

We've been averaging a point a game for half a season now. The last good run is a distant memory.

We've seen with our players for a while now, we only seem motivated when under pressure to perform. Several times we've touched the bottom three and then surged out of it. Only to drift back to poor form again when we're in the midtable comfort zone. A worrying trend that hints at a lack of hunger. Too many players who have won all they ever will? Too many mercenary players who are only here for a pay day?

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We've seen with our players for a while now, we only seem motivated when under pressure to perform. Several times we've touched the bottom three and then surged out of it. Only to drift back to poor form again when we're in the midtable comfort zone. A worrying trend that hints at a lack of hunger. Too many players who have won all they ever will? Too many mercenary players who are only here for a pay day?

I think you're probably right. While I'm convinced that Puel is not the manager for us, I do think the squad needs breaking up. Been together too long and achieved way beyond what they could ever have hoped for.

A major overhaul of playing and coaching staff is probably in order.