Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Totally pointless comparing us to Chelsea when they've got that kind of budget.

Watford I think will eventually drop as well, although they're good for plucking a bargain out.

Edited by Dan LCFC

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Totally pointless comparing us to Chelsea when they've got that kind of budget.

Watford I think will eventually drop as well, although they're good for plucking a bargain out.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s perceived wisdom that persisting with a manger leads to eventual success and chopping and changing leads to disaster

i think there is far more to it than that. Perhaps Puel has he right ideas but just isn’t the right personality to carry them through ......(or vice versa). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Dyche will decide when he leaves Burnley - not the owners.

Relegation next season, Dyche would still not be sacked.

lol bullshit. 

You won't so its moot but if you're languishing in 20th at Christmas next season he's gone.

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This chopping and changing of manager every season will eventually see us relegated. These clubs with a lack of structure only survive because there's that many of them and they can't all go down. 

We can build all the facilities we like but if we don't break out of this issue regarding managers, we'll end up back in the Championship.

I think we've been fortunate to be as high as 8th. I expect as well as Burnley, the likes of Newcastle, Everton and Wolves could all very feasibly finish above us.

I disagree. You can stick with a manager who isn't very good, and it isn't going to bring you any success. Sometimes, you're better off admitting you made a mistake hiring someone and getting rid, before they can drag the club down.

Not saying Puel is a bad manager, but if he's still here and we're struggling next season, do you keep him just to avoid chopping and changing too often?

You could chop and change through a succession of great managers, and be way more successful than if you had stuck with one awful manager instead.

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Derby 11 points 2007/8 lol still makes me giggle. 

That and Sunderland with two Flop Five finishes in the space of three years.

Get relegated with a record-low of points, get promoted the following season, then relegated again with a new record-low.lol

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s perceived wisdom that persisting with a manger leads to eventual success and chopping and changing leads to disaster

i think there is far more to it than that. Perhaps Puel has he right ideas but just isn’t the right personality to carry them through ......(or vice versa). 

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I disagree. You can stick with a manager who isn't very good, and it isn't going to bring you any success. Sometimes, you're better off admitting you made a mistake hiring someone and getting rid, before they can drag the club down.

Not saying Puel is a bad manager, but if he's still here and we're struggling next season, do you keep him just to avoid chopping and changing too often?

You could chop and change through a succession of great managers, and be way more successful than if you had stuck with one awful manager instead.

I agree that continuity isn't the sole reason you can stick with Puel, but I still believe at the same time that we should be aiming to at least have some blueprint to follow so that there isn't the kind of turbulence we're having at the minute. The point is, Puel may be the wrong man, and if so, why did we get him in? The issues he's having here were not THAT hard to see coming. Plenty called it early doors.

I'd be asking those who brought Puel in what they brought him in for. To me, it looks like he's here to change our style of play in the long-run, but if that's the case then why would they bin him off after a far from disastrous few months?

I speak as if he's going, because I do actually think that's the likely outcome now. We've seen this theme too many times before.

Leicester won't chop and change through a succession of great managers because we aren't big enough to consistently attract them. Chelsea can but they're operating on a completely different level to us.

If we keep chopping and changing, I am convinced it will see us get relegated. Look at Sunderland, West Brom and Crystal Palace. I think that's the route we're heading down, just with better players as it stands. Crystal Palace I expect to be down within two years, maybe even this season. West Brom are going this year, Sunderland are gone, and in freefall.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I agree that continuity isn't the sole reason you can stick with Puel, but I still believe at the same time that we should be aiming to at least have some blueprint to follow so that there isn't the kind of turbulence we're having at the minute. The point is, Puel may be the wrong man, and if so, why did we get him in? The issues he's having here were not THAT hard to see coming. Plenty called it early doors.

I'd be asking those who brought Puel in what they brought him in for. To me, it looks like he's here to change our style of play in the long-run, but if that's the case then why would they bin him off after a far from disastrous few months?

I speak as if he's going, because I do actually think that's the likely outcome now. We've seen this theme too many times before.

Leicester won't chop and change through a succession of great managers because we aren't big enough to consistently attract them. Chelsea can but they're operating on a completely different level to us.

If we keep chopping and changing, I am convinced it will see us get relegated. Look at Sunderland, West Brom and Crystal Palace. I think that's the route we're heading down, just with better players as it stands. Crystal Palace I expect to be down within two years, maybe even this season. West Brom are going this year, Sunderland are gone, and in freefall.

I agree with you on the whole. If Puel was brought in to change the way we play, then he should be given time to do that, especially as we find ourselves in the position of having nothing to lose by doing so.

I wasn't saying we can hire great manager after great manager. I was just trying to make the point that it's not as simple as, "sticking by a manager, no matter who he is, will bring success, and constanly hiring and firing will always fail." It's more complex than that.

An argument could be made that repeatedly changing the manager until you find the right one might be the quickest way to find the best man for the job. There are obvious disadvantages - you get a reputation for being trigger-happy, you may well sack the ideal manager before he's had a chance to make the necessary changes, etc., but it could easily be a better option than sticking by one man who doesn't really know what he's doing. If you do this, you're in danger of letting him do more and more damage to the club, and his eventual successor has an extremely difficult job of putting things right again. So much so that he could be fired because of someone else's poor decisions.

There are so many variables. Far too many for me to say whether chopping and changing is definitely better than sticking by the manager or vice versa.

I think each case should be judged on its own merits, and that worrying about how long it's been since the last sacking, or how frequently the sackings are, shouldn't be a major factor in deciding whether to stick or twist.

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

Wolves legend Steve Bull suggested that his former club should make a £30 million bid for Leicester striker Jamie Vardy in the summer, after they seal promotion back to the Premier League, when speaking exclusively to the Express & Star

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/10/steve-bull-suggests-wolves-should-bid-30-million-for-leicester-c/

Walshy obviously knocked a few screws loose back in the day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Wolves legend Steve Bull suggested that his former club should make a £30 million bid for Leicester striker Jamie Vardy in the summer, after they seal promotion back to the Premier League, when speaking exclusively to the Express & Star

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/10/steve-bull-suggests-wolves-should-bid-30-million-for-leicester-c/

lol Don't do drugs, kids.

On 09/04/2018 at 01:42, st albans fox said:

Can’t remember specifics but there have been some excellent goals this season prior to March.

can I put my head above the parapet and say I don’t want to qualify for Europa league from 7th position .........poisoned chalice and I believe it would be best for the evolution of the team to aim for a top six finish next season on the back of a proper European based pre season and a fast start to the campaign with the big clubs suffering most of their players having ‘post World Cup’ syndrome. 

Everton will have a new manager, Burnley can’t play this well again and will have the Europa league distraction and arsenal will either be a first season WIP or wenger’s last so probably vulnerable again. 

On the flip side, the teams that finished 8th, 10th and 13th last season are likely to be relegated this season...

On 10/04/2018 at 01:23, st albans fox said:

Chelsea ............,

watford ..............

if the club has the right model in place then the manager can be ‘rotated’

I’m not a big fan of it but it happens 

Because of their owners experience and influence across many leagues in Europe Watford have a long list of managers that will suit their framework on and off the pitch. It is a coherent plan, not one I like, but it is working. We are very reactive and seemingly don’t have a clue who we want after we sack a manager. Sousa, Sven, Pearson, Ranieri, Shakespeare, Puel... there is no common thread or logic which is why we shouldn’t be chopping and changing.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2

On 20/04/2018 at 17:57, Wookie said:

I'm hard to please when it comes to football media but Tifo keep producing very good quality videos 

He basically just read out Vichai's Wikipedia page. 

It watched like someone's a level media homework. 

Edited by Finnegan

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He basically just read out Vichai's Wikipedia page. 

It watched like someone's a level media homework. 

That one wasn't great particularly but they've produced a variety of other football content that's informative.

1 minute ago, mannyzlcfc said:

Leicester city 2015/2016 named 9th best ever Premier league team.. can't load link it's on Onefootball app.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/ranking-the-10-greatest-premier-league-teams-of-all-time-en-19790394?variable=20180423

9. Leicester City – 2015/16

FBL-ENG-PR-LEICESTER-PARADE-1524484841.j

They may not have played the most stylish brand of football the Premier League has ever seen but the Foxes are more than deserving of their place in this list for the sheer against-all-odds audacity of their triumph alone. Though many were keen to write off the most unlikely of title wins as a perfect storm that season, Claudio Ranieri’s side finished 10 points clear of runners up Arsenal and only lost three games all season. Two years on and we still can’t quite believe they did it.

• Like 3