Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rand94

Free agents / released players - put them in here!

Craig Gordon released by Sunderland as nine players leave

Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon is one of nine players released by the Premier League club.

Gordon signed from Hearts in August 2007 for £9m - breaking the British transfer record for a goalkeeper - but was out of contract this summer.

Fellow goalkeepers Trevor Carson and Lewis King are also departing.

The other players to go are Liam Bagnall, Jordan Lavender, James Brace, Brett Elliott, Jordan Cook and Oumare Tounkara.

Gordon - who has won 40 caps for Scotland - made 95 appearances in five years, having struggled with injuries and inconsistency.

He broke an arm twice then suffered a knee tendon problem and anterior cruciate ligament damage, the latter ruling him out for eight months from April 2011.

Belgian Simon Mignolet has established himself as the first-choice goalkeeper with Keiren Westwood, signed last summer as a result of Gordon's injury troubles, his understudy.

Gordon made just one appearance in 2011-12, against Bolton last month, and Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill has decided the Scot no longer figures in his plans.

I'd love to push the boat out and get Reo-Coker if he was at all interested?

Combatative midfielder.... Just the kind of player City would benefit massively from.

I guess he's gonna be snapped up by a prem team though.

Yeah the most likely reason he left Bolton is because he didn't want to play in this league, meaning our chances are limited.

I wouldn't mind him, though.

Would take a punt on Gordon as a free agent, now Weale has been released. Would make a good back up to Kasper

Think he's above the Championship let alone being back-up. Maybe he could be Southampton's new number 1 if they don't rate Davis enough.

Surprised no one has snapped up Jacob Mellis yet.

He did have a trial at QPR scoring in a 2-1 defeat for the reserves but will not to offered a contract after his latest incident, Cautioned along with his girlfriend for common assault and criminal damage in a domestic.

Young talented player although obliviously a bit of a cnut.

He would make a very decent signing for someone if he could prove he wouldn't be a disruptive force.

I'd take a gamble on him for free (although we don't really need another midfielder). Pearson would sort him out in minutes. :P

Surprised no one has snapped up Jacob Mellis yet.

He did have a trial at QPR scoring in a 2-1 defeat for the reserves but will not to offered a contract after his latest incident, Cautioned along with his girlfriend for common assault and criminal damage in a domestic.

Young talented player although obliviously a bit of a cnut.

He would make a very decent signing for someone if he could prove he wouldn't be a disruptive force.

I'd take a gamble on him for free (although we don't really need another midfielder). Pearson would sort him out in minutes. :P

If Pearson can not handle the arrogant Mills then there is absolutely no chance he would stand for any shit from this lad. Quite clearly has talent, just needs to knuckle down. Think he needs someone like O'Neil at Sunderland to grab a hold of him and get him on the right track. NP is not the man for a complex/mentalist character.

Tom Heaton has been released by Cardiff always looked pretty good when played. I think he would be happy to be number 2 to Kasper any thoughts? Also there is no way on earth Kevin Davis will be top scorer in this division next season as mentioned in an earlier post. I haven't laughed so much in ages.

Archived