Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Subbed to NowTV entertainment for 6 months to watch Ted and the True Crime thing…but the lure of The Wire was just too strong. Just kicked it off for the sixth time of binging. 

I’ve done the same recently for the reasons you’ve listed but going through the Sopranos for a 6th time.

51 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I’ve done the same recently for the reasons you’ve listed but going through the Sopranos for a 6th time.

A worthy alternative. Don’t recall how many times I’ve done the Sopranos, but I know it’s been a lot. 

23 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Anyone else enjoying True Detective, Night Country? I still can’t work out what the hell is going on!  Not sure they could make Jodie Foster’s character anymore abrasive. 

Not watched the latest one yet probs have to be tomorrow night with the superbowl coming up but totally agree up to that point. What was with that guys head shaking all super naturally? Obviously makes you think of The Thing, which is no bad thing.

Kinda related to this thread but could anyone answer this?......

Are the pictures that appear on the TV screens in shops such as Currys reflective of what you'd get at home?

No doubt the promo stuff they screen are probably subject to the best 4K or even 8K recording but once you got one home and linked a Sky Q box through it would the picture quality - with the right settings - be of the same outstanding, deep rich quality you see on display?

I seem to remember one of my existing Ultra HD TV pictures looked utterly stunning when in Currys but I never felt I could replicate it once I got it home. What exactly do Currys do to get that picture.

Tech has moved on and I'll be in the market to upgrade our main TV soon but I just wondered if anyone manages to get the same quality as is on display in the stores and what they do/use to get it. 

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

Kinda related to this thread but could anyone answer this?......

Are the pictures that appear on the TV screens in shops such as Currys reflective of what you'd get at home?

No doubt the promo stuff they screen are probably subject to the best 4K or even 8K recording but once you got one home and linked a Sky Q box through it would the picture quality - with the right settings - be of the same outstanding, deep rich quality you see on display?

I seem to remember one of my existing Ultra HD TV pictures looked utterly stunning when in Currys but I never felt I could replicate it once I got it home. What exactly do Currys do to get that picture.

Tech has moved on and I'll be in the market to upgrade our main TV soon but I just wondered if anyone manages to get the same quality as is on display in the stores and what they do/use to get it. 

Cheers.

Probably find that store tv will be in demo mode which cranks up the brightness and contrast to cope with its surroundings of being in a large bright store, whilst you can replicate these settings they probably won’t work so well in your front room.

Also the video feeds used will have a very high bit rate where as the likes of Sky/Virgin Netflix/prime etc although will state 4/8k it will be heavily compressed 

A blue-ray movie will showcase the tv better than a streamed service but who buys blue-rays anymore  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Probably find that store tv will be in demo mode which cranks up the brightness and contrast to cope with its surroundings of being in a large bright store, whilst you can replicate these settings they probably won’t work so well in your front room.

Also the video feeds used will have a very high bit rate where as the likes of Sky/Virgin Netflix/prime etc although will state 4/8k it will be heavily compressed 

A blue-ray movie will showcase the tv better than a streamed service but who buys blue-rays anymore  🤷‍♂️ 

Cheers for that BKLFox. 

No amount of tinkering with the settings on my current TV's gets the displays how they looked in store so I always suspected what they showed was by some sort of technical wizardry that would be impossible to replicate at home with regular viewing methods.

And yeah, Blu-ray? I took my Blu-ray  player to the tip a few years ago, yet when I bought it, it was the future.

Cheers again for the explanation.

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

Cheers for that BKLFox. 

No amount of tinkering with the settings on my current TV's gets the displays how they looked in store so I always suspected what they showed was by some sort of technical wizardry that would be impossible to replicate at home with regular viewing methods.

And yeah, Blu-ray? I took my Blu-ray  player to the tip a few years ago, yet when I bought it, it was the future.

Cheers again for the explanation.

Get an oled, I just got a c3 and have watched Dune, Blade Runner 2049 and planet earth 3 in uhd, it’s incredible, if you have perks with work and use the code lg10 on lg official website, and sign up to the newsletter you get 35% off, so a 55 for 891 but I went for a 65 for 1165, when that to came out less than a year ago it was touching 3000. I know the Sony equivalent is comparable and apparently better in some aspects but you can’t beat that price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Get an oled, I just got a c3 and have watched Dune, Blade Runner 2049 and planet earth 3 in uhd, it’s incredible, if you have perks with work and use the code lg10 on lg official website, and sign up to the newsletter you get 35% off, so a 55 for 891 but I went for a 65 for 1165, when that to came out less than a year ago it was touching 3000. I know the Sony equivalent is comparable and apparently better in some aspects but you can’t beat that price.

I have a 75" Sony UHD on the lounge wall so I guess the only way is equivalent or bigger.

Although when I watch LCFC on Sky it's getting to the stage where Hermandsen takes a goal kick I have to go into the kitchen to see where it's gone. :D

When we upgrade the lounge one goes on my bedroom wall, and the one it's replacing goes on my son's bedroom wall and so on. 

Gonna go for OLED or QLED, probably Samsung or LG but just gotta work thro the tech details and reviews for myself rather than have a Currys (Or equivalent) rep try the hard sell on one's that mean more them and their salary than it does me.

Cheers for the advice.

OLED v QLED is fairly easy to decide. 

If you watch a lot of sports or TV shows that might have logos in the same place for extended periods, then QLED is the better choice. OLED suffers from burn-in over time. I use mine as a PC monitor and my favourites bar is partially burned in now and visible on all lighter scenes. 

OLED is amazing for films and good TV series. Especially if you have access to that content in HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. 

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

OLED v QLED is fairly easy to decide. 

If you watch a lot of sports or TV shows that might have logos in the same place for extended periods, then QLED is the better choice. OLED suffers from burn-in over time. I use mine as a PC monitor and my favourites bar is partially burned in now and visible on all lighter scenes. 

OLED is amazing for films and good TV series. Especially if you have access to that content in HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. 

Yeah, it's general TV, movies and sport we watch so some decisions to be made.

The OLED v QLED pro's and con's continue to cause confusion but when it comes to this type of tech I tend to fall for the best picture thats around at that time without taking into consideration (Although I always mean to) the points you raise above.

Cheers 

Masters of the Air is absolutely brilliant. 

Band of Brothers will likely always be top of the pile but this latest one hits different. A theatre of war that’s rarely covered properly and certainly not to this scale. 

On a side note Slow Horses is also top notch. 

• Like 2

On 09/02/2024 at 19:31, CWC1983 said:

Masters of the Air. 

I've seen the first 3 episodes and it's ok. 

So far its nowhere near Pacific or Band of Brothers, but to be fair they were really high bars. 

At first viewing MOTA I’d rate higher than The Pacific, so far. 

It might just be because it’s the first that’s primarily fought in the skies though. 

Always rated BOB ahead of The Pacific. 

All 3 are epic I may add. 

• Like 2

It's a little bizarre,

Both myself and my son have been watching Prem footie and the Six Nations today. Picture has seemed it's usual pretty good quality, the usual we get from Sky and our TV brand.

But we now have Sky Sports Main Event channel on, watching the Super Bowl build up and the picture quality is outstanding, so much more quality, clarity and sharpness, and w'eve not even not even pushed the red button for Ultra HD

This surely has to be something to do with the US end of broadcasting and filming / camera tech? 

We watched the 2nd half of the AFCON final earlier and it was nowhere near as sharp or as freak clarity as this Super Bowl.

Can this be possible?

Burn in with the newer oled models is irregular unless you’re watching something like Bloomberg 10 hours a day, for general use burn in has been almost entirely negated, the technology has come on a lot with the panels in recent years, and as long as you get a 5 year guarantee even if you are super unlucky and get burn in issues it will be replaced. Apparently these newer models (march/April time) are going to be a genuine step forward but for a 75” you’ll be looking at 5k+. As far as oled v qled goes it isn’t a contest oled is hands down superior in every single way, and by a considerable distance.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

It's a little bizarre,

Both myself and my son have been watching Prem footie and the Six Nations today. Picture has seemed it's usual pretty good quality, the usual we get from Sky and our TV brand.

But we now have Sky Sports Main Event channel on, watching the Super Bowl build up and the picture quality is outstanding, so much more quality, clarity and sharpness, and w'eve not even not even pushed the red button for Ultra HD

This surely has to be something to do with the US end of broadcasting and filming / camera tech? 

We watched the 2nd half of the AFCON final earlier and it was nowhere near as sharp or as freak clarity as this Super Bowl.

Can this be possible?

Just whatever bitrate the broadcaster decides to show. Higher the better but costs more in tech and bandwidth. For something like this you'll get the best available. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Eight episodes I understand?

More than once then? :whistle:

Yes, many more. My wife liked it, and she doesn’t like only watching half a series.

I’d have happily switched off after two episodes.

12 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Masters of the Air is absolutely brilliant. 

Band of Brothers will likely always be top of the pile but this latest one hits different. A theatre of war that’s rarely covered properly and certainly not to this scale. 

On a side note Slow Horses is also top notch. 

Being a US series I don't suppose they will touch on the subject of LMF Lack of Moral Fibre which was harshly dealt with in The RAF probably for understandable reasons. I'm completely in awe of men like Leonard Cheshire who completed 102 missions. 

13 hours ago, ElusiveEd said:

It's a little bizarre,

Can this be possible?

i have sky via Virgin, i don't pay extra for HD, but the picture on Main Event is always better than the picture i get on Sky Football channel. So if the same match is on football channel & main event channel, i always switch to main event.

• Like 1