Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

14 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Just finished Kin season 2 and echo what others have said, the finale was great. Gripping viewing for sure. Going to watch True Detective next.

I too thought Kin was very good.

Like you also, then started with True Detective. As I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, not too impressed. Interested to hear what you think when you start it.

Did anyone watch the Channel 4 The Jury Expirement Having never been on Jury Service I found it very interesting. Did highlight issues with our justice system and not totally surprised countries like Sweden don't have juries like the UK

Watched After Life on Netflix. First two series were on BBC, and I seem to remember them being ok, but watching them again plus series three on Netflix was very disappointing. Anyone else feel the same?

34 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Did anyone watch the Channel 4 The Jury Expirement Having never been on Jury Service I found it very interesting. Did highlight issues with our justice system and not totally surprised countries like Sweden don't have juries like the UK

I work for MOJ, what do you think the main issues are in terms of juries, for someone like me who has not watched the programme? 

6 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

I work for MOJ, what do you think the main issues are in terms of juries, for someone like me who has not watched the programme? 

From this it would be jurors personal bias. Perhaps bringing too much emotional baggage from their own lives. Also dominant personalities over more introverted jurors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

From this it would be jurors personal bias. Perhaps bringing too much emotional baggage from their own lives. Also dominant personalities over more introverted jurors.

I watched the final episode and thought it was a real eye-opener for all the points you've raised.  I'd caught a few minutes here and there of the other episodes and I was very much in the murder camp.  My wife had seen the whole thing, she was in the murder camp too.  

It was really interesting viewing around how dominate personalities within the jury room can sway others around to their interpretation of what's been presented.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Yes of course the whole point of juries is to be objective and not subjective and for jurors to weigh up the evidence in their minds and not be intimidated by others.  I would like to think that juries reach the correct verdict in the vast majority of cases, but I have seen enough bizarre jury verdicts (particularly in the US) to wonder how on earth they reached their decision . Is it a better system than a qualified Judge and 3 lay Judges as in Sweden I wonder? 

56 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I watched the final episode and thought it was a real eye-opener for all the points you've raised.  I'd caught a few minutes here and there of the other episodes and I was very much in the murder camp.  My wife had seen the whole thing, she was in the murder camp too.  

It was really interesting viewing around how dominate personalities within the jury room can sway others around to their interpretation of what's been presented.

Me and wife were very torn as to murder or manslaughter. I think it important that although obviously a lesser sentence for manslaughter it is by no means a let off. The real case verdict and explanation was very interesting 

24 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Yes of course the whole point of juries is to be objective and not subjective and for jurors to weigh up the evidence in their minds and not be intimidated by others.  I would like to think that juries reach the correct verdict in the vast majority of cases, but I have seen enough bizarre jury verdicts (particularly in the US) to wonder how on earth they reached their decision . Is it a better system than a qualified Judge and 3 lay Judges as in Sweden I wonder? 

This was a particularly difficult case I think. Some of the experts on the programme such as barristers did express concerns and perhaps our system is not the best. 

7 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

Watched After Life on Netflix. First two series were on BBC, and I seem to remember them being ok, but watching them again plus series three on Netflix was very disappointing. Anyone else feel the same?

the outtakes are better than the actual show. 

16 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

I’ve spent my life waiting for the call, preferably a juicy drawn out mass murderer. But having watched the show, I will now make any excuse possible to avoid it.I sacked it off half way through Day 4.

If I had to be locked in a room with a group of unremitting, self absorbed fvckwits, I’d kill them. Almost none of them appeared to be able to disassociate themselves from the facts and evidence presented. I’ve long held the opinion that democracy doesn’t work because of the level of stupidity in society, that people should have to pass a competency test to vote, and I’m now extending this to serving on a jury. We don’t let just anyone pilot a plane or perform brain surgery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

I’ve spent my life waiting for the call, preferably a juicy drawn out mass murderer. But having watched the show, I will now make any excuse possible to avoid it.I sacked it off half way through Day 4.

If I had to be locked in a room with a group of unremitting, self absorbed fvckwits, I’d kill them. Almost none of them appeared to be able to disassociate themselves from the facts and evidence presented. I’ve long held the opinion that democracy doesn’t work because of the level of stupidity in society, that people should have to pass a competency test to vote, and I’m now extending this to serving on a jury. We don’t let just anyone pilot a plane or perform brain surgery.

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

I absolutely take your point. 🤣

On 01/03/2024 at 13:23, Torquay Gunner said:

I quite liked the idea of a properly trained professional jury that sits on multiple cases over a set period 

• Like 1