Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Standard and quality of referees in the Npower Championship

Penalty decisions are a matter of opinion rather than a black and white call, you cant hand them over to a machine.

However what is wrong with having a manager's challenge option?

A manager could have one challenge each half for major game changing decisions like a penalty or a goal disallowed for offside.

The 4th official could then review with a monitor.

Why not have the same system as Tennis?

Each team gets 3 challenges to referee's decisions.

If the referee was right then you lose a challenge, if the referee was wrong the decision is overturned and you keep the challenge.

So what if we had run out of challenges before the penalty? Wouldn't help us then yet the decision would still have been made.

So what if we had run out of challenges before the penalty? Wouldn't help us then yet the decision would still have been made.

I suspect they'd only be used for serious suspect goals, penalty and sending off decisions

Why not have the same system as Tennis?

Each team gets 3 challenges to referee's decisions.

If the referee was right then you lose a challenge, if the referee was wrong the decision is overturned and you keep the challenge.

Who decides if the referee is right? It wouldn't work because it's not like tennis where they can use technology to see where the ball would have gone (LBW or not). It would only work for decisions where you need to know if the ball went over the line or not, because that is black and white.

Nothing else in football is black and white. And for the record I think it was a penalty, he can't just tackle like that and go through the player before getting the ball. Look at these and opinions, on a Referee Forum as opposed to a Leicester City fans forum: http://refereeforum.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48007132

Who decides if the referee is right? It wouldn't work because it's not like tennis where they can use technology to see where the ball would have gone (LBW or not). It would only work for decisions where you need to know if the ball went over the line or not, because that is black and white.

Nothing else in football is black and white. And for the record I think it was a penalty, he can't just tackle like that and go through the player before getting the ball. Look at these and opinions, on a Referee Forum as opposed to a Leicester City fans forum: http://refereeforum....wtopic=48007132

I didn't know LBW was a tennis term, what's it stand for? :ph34r:

Nothing else in football is black and white. And for the record I think it was a penalty, he can't just tackle like that and go through the player before getting the ball. Look at these and opinions, on a Referee Forum as opposed to a Leicester City fans forum: http://refereeforum....wtopic=48007132

I think that sums up just how incompetent most referees are.

If you can watch it back that many times and still think it's a penalty (though I'm inclined to think you all just like sticking up for each other, I know you do) then you shouldn't be a referee, plain and simple.

At least I agree with your first part, you can have all the video replays in the world but if you've got retards officiating, they're still going to make poor decisions like that.

I think that sums up just how incompetent most referees are.

If you can watch it back that many times and still think it's a penalty (though I'm inclined to think you all just like sticking up for each other, I know you do) then you shouldn't be a referee, plain and simple.

At least I agree with your first part, you can have all the video replays in the world but if you've got retards officiating, they're still going to make poor decisions like that.

Read other threads on that forum and you will see, in those incidents, people don't just stick up for the referee. They try to understand how he may have come to his decision, so as to not find themselves in the same situation in the future thus repeating a similar error. With regards to the handball, yeah, I think it was handball but what would NP making a 'challenge' have affected? Who decides if it was deliberate handball, the referee goes over to have a look? The 4th official? Because I know if I was refereeing, I'd turned down a penalty claim and then the 4th official tells me we're having a penalty I'd feel so undermined I'd be thinking well you know what you go and referee the rest of it because I don't want to.

Read other threads on that forum and you will see, in those incidents, people don't just stick up for the referee. They try to understand how he may have come to his decision, so as to not find themselves in the same situation in the future thus repeating a similar error. With regards to the handball, yeah, I think it was handball but what would NP making a 'challenge' have affected? Who decides if it was deliberate handball, the referee goes over to have a look? The 4th official? Because I know if I was refereeing, I'd turned down a penalty claim and then the 4th official tells me we're having a penalty I'd feel so undermined I'd be thinking well you know what you go and referee the rest of it because I don't want to.

Y'see it's exactly this attitude that has everyone so fed up with refs. If you can't swallow your pride and admit to being wrong you shouldn't be in the job in the first place.

Unfortunately for us, I don't think the officiating is going to improve.

So, the more I've thought about this today, the more I think the players have got to play in such a way as to minimise the risk of the referee cocking up on an incident. By this I mean don't give the referee a chance to give a crazy decision in the first place. Yesterday had Whitbread stayed on his feet it wouldn't have happened. I'm not blaming him at all, but in my mind the players have got to react to certain situations in a more clever manner to minimise a potential refereeing cockup.

It's not great thinking in this way, but what choice do they have as players?

We need to play the referee with intelligence.

Nothing else in football is black and white. And for the record I think it was a penalty, he can't just tackle like that and go through the player before getting the ball. Look at these and opinions, on a Referee Forum as opposed to a Leicester City fans forum: http://refereeforum.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48007132

Other refs backing Taylor? Shock!?

Archived