Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Hillsborough: Search For The Truth

Some of the comments in this thread are the most depressing and wrongheaded I have ever read on this forum and they reflect very badly on those having a laugh, on the forum and on our club. They are disgraceful. Have you no sympathy for the 96 dead and their families! To suggest that the independent panel was and is itself biased is ludicrous. Read the report.

'Consistent with Lord Justice Taylor’s findings, the Panel found no evidence among the vast number of disclosed documents and many hours of video material to verify the serious allegations of exceptional levels of drunkenness, ticketlessness or violence among Liverpool fans. There was no evidence that fans had conspired to arrive late at the stadium and force entry and no evidence that they stole from the dead and dying. Documents show that fans became frustrated by the inadequate response to the unfolding tragedy. The vast majority of fans on the pitch assisted in rescuing and evacuating the injured and the dead.'

It could have been Leicester City and not Liverpool playing that day. In which case some of us would have been there – in that pen. Liverpool fans deserve more respect. There is no evidence that fans got into the pen without tickets and those without tickets wanting to pay at the turnstiles, along with all the other fans, deserved better stewarding and policing than they received. All football fans should show sympathy and regret over the 23 years cover up of the truth.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I've long since given up trying to get anything approaching common sense and intelligence out of most on this forum, it's a pleasant surprise when I do come across something decent. Good post, well done.

The only oddity in there is Peter Sissons.

Also - you are an ill informed embarrassment to the millions of other sperm that had a chance of fertilisation.

lol Very rich coming from you.

Maybe you are right, nothing odd or wrong at all about the Bishop of Liverpool being on an independent review of Hillsborough.

Maybe we can Ken Dodds tax evasion conviction overturned tomorrow.

Ticketless fans is largely immaterial. Had the police and stewards done their job properly on that day (as they had the previous year for the same tie and also in Athlens in 2007 or whenever it was) this tragedy wouldn't have happened.

The buck stops with the authorities.

I'm not defending Liverpool FC I despise them but this wasn't their fault IMO

Really adding to the debate there *applauds*

Well done for omitting the rest of the post where I raised questions, which were followed up on by others. If others followed up on it and further points came from it, then yes, I did actually add something to the debate.

I didnt realise that little jibe hurt you so much you had to go back to page 3 to pick out a sentance I typed, just to have a dig back.

All the best anyway :thumbup:

Well done for omitting the rest of the post where I raised questions, which were followed up on by others. If others followed up on it and further points came from it, then yes, I did actually add something to the debate.

I didnt realise that little jibe hurt you so much you had to go back to page 3 to pick out a sentance I typed, just to have a dig back.

All the best anyway :thumbup:

Really adding to the debate there (again) *applauds*

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=ms-android-sonyericsson&tab=wi&q=the%20hillsbourough%20disaster&sa=N&biw=320&bih=544#i=36

If this link doesnt take you directly to it, click on the third page and look at the second pic taken from daily mirror, and first pic 2nd row down

http://www.google.co...20&bih=544#i=36

If this link doesnt take you directly to it, click on the third page and look at the second pic taken from daily mirror, and first pic 2nd row down

Just take me to a google image page, that disappears very quickly and ends up on the google homepage.

Google images of it and click on page 3

Of what? All it does is go to a blank google homepage after briefly showing 6 pictures. I've googled Hillsborough Disaster, but the picture in the position you refer to isn't from the Mirror. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.

There were loads without tickets trying to get in.

Liverpool fans were and are still known for doing that. Their tactic was to turn up late and surge the turn styles because they knew under the pressure of it the authorities would just open the gates and let them in to avoid a catastrophe.

So what you had was a situation where thousands of fans some with and some without tickets were all converging on the turn styles at once.

I agree that the police were at fault for how they handled that huge crowd, but there is blame on all sides in my opinion.

Just to add to this, the Champions League final in Athens 2007, just 5 years ago, as a half Greek I read the Greek papers and watch the news. There was loads of Liverpool fans without tickets that jumped the fences around the Olympic stadium and got in, and the Greek Stewards were left with hundreds of Liverpool fans WITH tickets outside the stadium they could not let in as it was now full.

I've just checked my facts on this, it was 5000 fans who they estimate jumped the fences without tickets in Athens...

This sounds about right

• 2 weeks later...

quote from the spectator.

Lawyers acting for Kelvin MacKenzie have written to South Yorkshire Police seeking an apology for the circumstances that have led to his ‘personal vilification for decades’. Writing in tomorrow’s Spectator, the former Sun editor speaks out for the first time in detail about his fateful decision to print the now infamous ‘THE TRUTH’ headline in the red-top the day after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

The terms of the apology and any compensation are to be debated, but MacKenzie tells of police patrols being increased around his house and the physical danger he faces in the city of Liverpool. Kelvin admits that he was wrong, ‘but the people who have got away scot-free are South Yorkshire Police.’ He is seeking recompense for ‘the lies their officers told’.

‘Now I know — you know, we all know — that the fans were right. But it took 23 years, two inquiries, one inquest and research into 400,000 documents, many of which were kept secret under the 30-year no-publication rule, to discover there was a vast cover-up by South Yorkshire Police about the disaster. Where does that leave me?’

Talking more broadly about Hillsborough, MacKenzie highlights the countless other publications that ran the same ‘copper-bottomed’ story, and suggests motives for the Sun being singled out by a city ‘I (and the paper I edited) had nothing but warm thoughts about prior to that ghastly day’.

‘Liverpool fans didn’t turn on other media, only the Sun. That has always puzzled me. Was it picked out because the paper had always backed Thatcher, while the city had always been pro-Labour?
’
With the police version of an event once again in the spotlight this week thanks to the Andrew Mitchell’s ‘Gate-gate’ saga, perhaps the embattled Chief Whip could take a leaf from MacKenzie’s book. If he believes the police are wrong, time to call the lawyers.

I have a very simplistic view of this whole situation.

The cover up was a shocking situation and those who instigated it should be brought to task.

However, this happened AFTER the tragic event and shouldn't be used to FULLY exhonerate any party. Which certain parties seem to be using this to do.

Contribution to the tragedy falls at every angle, poor police management of the situation, poor ground / steward management, FA complacency, excessive fans arriving late / with no tickets. However big or small, all of these variables contributed and responsibility needs to be accepted from all sides.

Apologies if this offends anyone but it's my opinion.

The cover up was a shocking situation and those who instigated it should be brought to task.

However, this happened AFTER the tragic event and shouldn't be used to FULLY exhonerate any party. Which certain parties seem to be using this to do.

Contribution to the tragedy falls at every angle, poor police management of the situation, poor ground / steward management, FA complacency, excessive fans arriving late / with no tickets. However big or small, all of these variables contributed and responsibility needs to be accepted from all sides.

I think this sums the whole thing up.

That's actually very sensible, whatever happened in the cover up afterwards actually didn't kill anybody. Some people seem to have forgotten that whilst carrying their pitchforks.

Kelvin MacKenzie haa a fair point actually (not that anyone would dare ask it to any Liverpool fans) why did the Sun get treated so different to all the other news outlets?

You're not wrong.

You clearly don't give a stuff what Lord Justice Taylor said, especially the part in his report that stated fans should NOT be blamed for the disaster.

And you're equally dismissive of the inquiry panel who found evidence to suggest that dozens of fans could have been saved if the ambulances hadn't been kept outside the ground.

Instead you prefer to wallow in your own ignorant prejudices and let the guilty continue to evade responsibility for their negligence and lies.

What happened to Liverpool fans could just have easily happened to fans of many other clubs - including Leicester.

Archived