Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Booing Gally

Wouldn't disagree with you on that. I'm not advocating some sort of hippy 'love-in'. But the telling comment in your original comment was "But, at times, one of the best things that can happen to, say, a teacher is that when he isn't very good he's told that he isn't very good." That says, to me, an awful lot about the pausity of high quality leadership demonstrated in countless sectors. Nobody gets better by being told what they are doing wrong. I'm prepared to bet that you don't mark your students work with X's and a comment like "you're rubbish - pull your socks up or you'll fail that exam" ? I am prepared to bet that you DO highlight areas for growth and point out the positive change that you'd like them to make ... "next time, do x, y and z". There's a simple resson greta leaders / teachers / bosses / managers do that ... because people move towards the image their leaders create for them. Yes to accountability. But strong schools set their stalls out and tell students, employers, staff and parents what the expectation is and hold them accountable to that level of excellence. By encouraging them and coaching and cajoling and weedling ! That's true of footy teams, businsesses, communities etc etc. Great leaders light fires inside people ... not underneath them ! It's why I get so 'preachy' about booing. It's outdated and backward. Nobody coaches like that at elite levels any more. It's counter-productive. All it does is remind players of previously poor performances, (as perceived by us). But you're right - everyone needs feedback. it just needs to be feedback about how to get to the next level. You primary or secondary or FE / HE ??

I disagree Trent, I hate making mistakes, and I hate being told I've made a mistake even more, so I do everything I can to not make mistakes, but sometimes you make a mistake, and you don't realise it, and if nobody tells you you keep making that mistake. When I do make a mistake, and someone picks me up on it, I make sure that I never make that mistake again, admittedly they normally don't boo in my face, but I have been on the receiving end of some pretty strong words, to be honest they are easier to take than the "I'm not angry just disappointed" approach.

The main issue I have with booing Gallagher is that he hadn't done anything wrong at that time.

I would have no problem booing a Leicester player if they had say for example, acted like a spoilt petulant twat and done something stupid like spat at a player, or if they had slagged off the club in the press.

Wouldn't disagree with you on that. I'm not advocating some sort of hippy 'love-in'. But the telling comment in your original comment was "But, at times, one of the best things that can happen to, say, a teacher is that when he isn't very good he's told that he isn't very good." That says, to me, an awful lot about the pausity of high quality leadership demonstrated in countless sectors. Nobody gets better by being told what they are doing wrong. I'm prepared to bet that you don't mark your students work with X's and a comment like "you're rubbish - pull your socks up or you'll fail that exam" ? I am prepared to bet that you DO highlight areas for growth and point out the positive change that you'd like them to make ... "next time, do x, y and z". There's a simple resson greta leaders / teachers / bosses / managers do that ... because people move towards the image their leaders create for them. Yes to accountability. But strong schools set their stalls out and tell students, employers, staff and parents what the expectation is and hold them accountable to that level of excellence. By encouraging them and coaching and cajoling and weedling ! That's true of footy teams, businsesses, communities etc etc. Great leaders light fires inside people ... not underneath them ! It's why I get so 'preachy' about booing. It's outdated and backward. Nobody coaches like that at elite levels any more. It's counter-productive. All it does is remind players of previously poor performances, (as perceived by us). But you're right - everyone needs feedback. it just needs to be feedback about how to get to the next level. You primary or secondary or FE / HE ??

A fair point. I'd say a balance between the positive and the negative. Don't get me wrong, with 9/10 kids you can get by hardly ever saying a harsh word to them, just pushing and pushing and making them believe. But it can work the other way round too.

Secondary, by the way.

I disagree Trent, I hate making mistakes, and I hate being told I've made a mistake even more, so I do everything I can to not make mistakes, but sometimes you make a mistake, and you don't realise it, and if nobody tells you you keep making that mistake. When I do make a mistake, and someone picks me up on it, I make sure that I never make that mistake again, admittedly they normally don't boo in my face, but I have been on the receiving end of some pretty strong words, to be honest they are easier to take than the "I'm not angry just disappointed" approach.

The main issue I have with booing Gallagher is that he hadn't done anything wrong at that time.

I would have no problem booing a Leicester player if they had say for example, acted like a spoilt petulant twat and done something stupid like spat at a player, or if they had slagged off the club in the press.

I get where you're coming from - and I'm certainly not advocating letting people carry on doing things incorrectly. If they're screwing up, they're costing you and it needs to stop. But try this..... whatever you do right now , DO NOT THINK OF A PURPLE KANGAROO ! DO NOT THINK OF A PURPLE KANGAROO !!!!!! gOD DAMN IT MAN, NO PURPLE KANGAROOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay ? What are you thinking of Shrappers ?? That's no different to booing. Gally or a kid in school being scolded will link it to the event that lead to the negative feedback and replay it just at the moment you want them to perform to a higher level. Which just increases the likelihood of them screwing up ! How many club golfers get thei worst ball out of their bag just before they play their shot over the water hazard !!!!!! What we think about is tied to our physiology. If you're a parent or a coach on a Saturday with kids, or in the crowd at the King Power - or even NP - you need those you want to perform to be rehearsing success in their heads, not reliving failure.

The point you make about not wanting to screw up comes out of a style of leadership called perfectionism. It kills productivity and innovation in most of the clients I work with. You're totally right - nobody WANTS to make a mistake. But what's the best way of not making a mistake ???? Don't do anything. Or do it exactly the way you've done it previously so as to avoid screwing up ! If you're a heart surgeon, that level of perfectionism is probably not a bad idea. But most schools (hello Inckley Fox) and most businesses in a recession, need people to be prepared to take a few low level risks ... otherwise they might not be in business if they cant find quicker / faster / cheaper ways of making / building / teaching / delivering etc They need people to be accountable. If everyone is worried about screwing up, they wait. Nobody wants to take initiative.

A fair point. I'd say a balance between the positive and the negative. Don't get me wrong, with 9/10 kids you can get by hardly ever saying a harsh word to them, just pushing and pushing and making them believe. But it can work the other way round too.

Secondary, by the way.

That 'belief' thing is absolutely massive and at the epi-centre of kids raising their own aspirations. People (kids and big kids) don;t let themselves aspire to things they don;t think they can achieve. reading through the reports that came out from the riots, the links between looting and 'aspirational marketing' was intriguing. In essence. we all performa t a level commensurate with our believes. You can't tell a studen all year they are a D student, then expect them to hit B's on exam day !! You can't boo Gally (I know you don;t), and then expect him to rip up trees !! Booing erodes self-belief and performance follows belief. if you;re a parent and you;ve got kids that leave their stuff all over the floor, just try telling them what you do want for a week (put it away etc, hang it up etc) rather than pointing out what they've done wrong !! Give it a week and tell me if it made a difference. We need to tell people what we DO want, not what we DON'T want. lecture over ! Apologies. I get passionate about developing people ... you might possibly have noticed !!! can't be arsed to spell-check - apols !!

I get where you're coming from - and I'm certainly not advocating letting people carry on doing things incorrectly. If they're screwing up, they're costing you and it needs to stop. But try this..... whatever you do right now , DO NOT THINK OF A PURPLE KANGAROO ! DO NOT THINK OF A PURPLE KANGAROO !!!!!! gOD DAMN IT MAN, NO PURPLE KANGAROOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay ? What are you thinking of Shrappers ?? That's no different to booing. Gally or a kid in school being scolded will link it to the event that lead to the negative feedback and replay it just at the moment you want them to perform to a higher level. Which just increases the likelihood of them screwing up ! How many club golfers get thei worst ball out of their bag just before they play their shot over the water hazard !!!!!! What we think about is tied to our physiology. If you're a parent or a coach on a Saturday with kids, or in the crowd at the King Power - or even NP - you need those you want to perform to be rehearsing success in their heads, not reliving failure.

The point you make about not wanting to screw up comes out of a style of leadership called perfectionism. It kills productivity and innovation in most of the clients I work with. You're totally right - nobody WANTS to make a mistake. But what's the best way of not making a mistake ???? Don't do anything. Or do it exactly the way you've done it previously so as to avoid screwing up ! If you're a heart surgeon, that level of perfectionism is probably not a bad idea. But most schools (hello Inckley Fox) and most businesses in a recession, need people to be prepared to take a few low level risks ... otherwise they might not be in business if they cant find quicker / faster / cheaper ways of making / building / teaching / delivering etc They need people to be accountable. If everyone is worried about screwing up, they wait. Nobody wants to take initiative.

I didn't think of a purple kangaroo. :ermm:

So if we won a 93rd minute penalty at Forest on the last day on which promotion hinged and Gallagher stepped up to take it, would you be willing him to miss because 'you don't want Gallagher to succeed' or will him to score because you want Leicester to succeed?

Can you now see how that is a ridiculous statement for an intelligent person to make?

In a previous comment I said that if he went on to score a winner, I would cheers etc like anyone else.

My craving for Leicester to succeed is greater than my dislike for Gallagher but in a situation where we are 5-1 up, I felt it appropriate to express my opinion.

In a previous comment I said that if he went on to score a winner, I would cheers etc like anyone else.

My craving for Leicester to succeed is greater than my dislike for Gallagher but in a situation where we are 5-1 up, I felt it appropriate to express my opinion.

Surely 5-1 up is the worst time do to so? Why express your disapproval at NP, the one who made the change, and our player, when we're battering a team?

If it's going to happen I'd rather it was in that scenario, instead of a losing situation and this could escalate. A few boos at 5-1 would soon be forgotten in the grand scheme of things.

Ideally players would be given a chance to show what they can do in that particular match before being slagged off.

If it's going to happen I'd rather it was in that scenario, instead of a losing situation and this could escalate. A few boos at 5-1 would soon be forgotten in the grand scheme of things.

Ideally players would be given a chance to show what they can do in that particular match before being slagged off.

Where I sit, J3, the boo was actually met with laughter, (not from people I know before you abuse my company...).

Me neither I was thinking what's this guy been smoking lol

@Trent, I do understand where you are coming from, but there are 3 distinct situations, 1) making a mistake realising and trying to rectify the situation, in which case you don't need booing or shouting at. 2) Making a mistake continuously and not realising, in which case a stern word will probably set you on the right track. 3) Making mistakes, not realising, not caring, and not doing anything about it, despite being told about it numerous times, in this case you need a stern talking to and probably a clip round the ear.

Putting it in football terms look at someone like Mario Balotelli, talented footballer, massive tw@, you focus on his positives, like his ability on the pitch and cheer every time he does something good, then he will be happy, but not change his attitude, you boo him whenever he acts like a tw@ on the pitch, and don't praise his qualities, he is likely to retreat inside himself, get worse on the pitch and get an even bigger chip on his shoulder. You praise him when he is good and criticise him when he acts the tw@, he will hopefully realise that his attitude is not right, and that he needs to focus on the things that people love and change the things that people dislike. I do get the impression that because he is so good he has had lots of people sucking up to him all his life and nobody has ever given him a good "booing" and that is why he acts the way he does.

Apply that to Gallgher, not as good a player, not as big a tw@ but similar, in that he is cocky and arrogant, and when banging them in from 30 yards he can get away with it, but when he isn't he just looks arrogant and shit, the problem is he is never given credit for when he does something well, other than score, every time I've seen him play I see him tracking back and putting in blocks and tackles, sometimes not very good or strong ones, but people have selective blindness when it comes to Gally, and he certainly doesn't deserve booing especially as he has fought his way back into contention and deserves to be on the bench and is playing well when he has had the chance.

Me neither I was thinking what's this guy been smoking lol

@Trent, I do understand where you are coming from, but there are 3 distinct situations, 1) making a mistake realising and trying to rectify the situation, in which case you don't need booing or shouting at. 2) Making a mistake continuously and not realising, in which case a stern word will probably set you on the right track. 3) Making mistakes, not realising, not caring, and not doing anything about it, despite being told about it numerous times, in this case you need a stern talking to and probably a clip round the ear.

Putting it in football terms look at someone like Mario Balotelli, talented footballer, massive tw@, you focus on his positives, like his ability on the pitch and cheer every time he does something good, then he will be happy, but not change his attitude, you boo him whenever he acts like a tw@ on the pitch, and don't praise his qualities, he is likely to retreat inside himself, get worse on the pitch and get an even bigger chip on his shoulder. You praise him when he is good and criticise him when he acts the tw@, he will hopefully realise that his attitude is not right, and that he needs to focus on the things that people love and change the things that people dislike. I do get the impression that because he is so good he has had lots of people sucking up to him all his life and nobody has ever given him a good "booing" and that is why he acts the way he does.

Apply that to Gallgher, not as good a player, not as big a tw@ but similar, in that he is cocky and arrogant, and when banging them in from 30 yards he can get away with it, but when he isn't he just looks arrogant and shit, the problem is he is never given credit for when he does something well, other than score, every time I've seen him play I see him tracking back and putting in blocks and tackles, sometimes not very good or strong ones, but people have selective blindness when it comes to Gally, and he certainly doesn't deserve booing especially as he has fought his way back into contention and deserves to be on the bench and is playing well when he has had the chance.

I know you are both very, very intelligent people, but I'm just not sure I can do justice to the points yu make via 'text' ! The purple kangaroo thing, (God, I wish I'd never started with that one), is that we think in three levels; words - pictures - emotions. The words (purple kangaroo) trigger a picture (except for AOWW, who was probably devastatingly traumatised by a marsupial as a child and has now resorted to blocking out tactics !!), and that sequence ends there. For the booing link (I vaguely remember where this thread started), TPH's earlier comment about in the thread about being 100% sure, (does anyone really believe in absolutes ??) it washes over players is highly dubious ! Gally will have heard boos, be it recently or previously. Those 'words' will lead to a 'picture' in his mind and probably an 'emotional hit'. The points you then make about the three examples refer to 'performance'. Performance is classically broken into 'talent', 'attitudes and motivation', 'skills and knowledge'. The player has their talent. Depending on what you read, possibly we are 'hard-wired' for our particular talent by the time we are 18 months old !! The club will apply the 'skills and knowledge' through their coaching systems. The piece that is harder to control is that piece around attitudes and motivation - the link to booing. You used Mario Balotelli as an example - brilliant ... perfect !! Talented ? Undoubtedly. Acees to the best coaching money can buy ? Certainly. But what's the piece that makes him so hit and miss ??? Attitude and motivation for me. How a crowd react to you will influence that. Football is littered with similar examples. But also the other way round, too. Vinnie Jones. Talented ? Not overly. Up-skilling via Wimbledon ? Yes, to a degree. But attiude and motivation ?? He would have run through brick walls to get his team a victory. He bought into that whole 'mission' that happened at Wimbledon. Booing players makes them disengage. It erodes the motivation, making it less likely a player plays to the maximum of their particular talent. I'm talking in 'black and white' here to make a point, and we all know it's not like that. The odd piece of honest feedback sometimes does act as a kick in the pants. But booing someone before they've even set foot on the pitch ??? Bonkers. Apologies to all readers who fell asleep after the first line of this ! I promise I'll go away now.

I know you are both very, very intelligent people, but I'm just not sure I can do justice to the points yu make via 'text' ! The purple kangaroo thing, (God, I wish I'd never started with that one), is that we think in three levels; words - pictures - emotions. The words (purple kangaroo) trigger a picture (except for AOWW, who was probably devastatingly traumatised by a marsupial as a child and has now resorted to blocking out tactics !!), and that sequence ends there. For the booing link (I vaguely remember where this thread started), TPH's earlier comment about in the thread about being 100% sure, (does anyone really believe in absolutes ??) it washes over players is highly dubious ! Gally will have heard boos, be it recently or previously. Those 'words' will lead to a 'picture' in his mind and probably an 'emotional hit'. The points you then make about the three examples refer to 'performance'. Performance is classically broken into 'talent', 'attitudes and motivation', 'skills and knowledge'. The player has their talent. Depending on what you read, possibly we are 'hard-wired' for our particular talent by the time we are 18 months old !! The club will apply the 'skills and knowledge' through their coaching systems. The piece that is harder to control is that piece around attitudes and motivation - the link to booing. You used Mario Balotelli as an example - brilliant ... perfect !! Talented ? Undoubtedly. Acees to the best coaching money can buy ? Certainly. But what's the piece that makes him so hit and miss ??? Attitude and motivation for me. How a crowd react to you will influence that. Football is littered with similar examples. But also the other way round, too. Vinnie Jones. Talented ? Not overly. Up-skilling via Wimbledon ? Yes, to a degree. But attiude and motivation ?? He would have run through brick walls to get his team a victory. He bought into that whole 'mission' that happened at Wimbledon. Booing players makes them disengage. It erodes the motivation, making it less likely a player plays to the maximum of their particular talent. I'm talking in 'black and white' here to make a point, and we all know it's not like that. The odd piece of honest feedback sometimes does act as a kick in the pants. But booing someone before they've even set foot on the pitch ??? Bonkers. Apologies to all readers who fell asleep after the first line of this ! I promise I'll go away now.

Can we get back to debating Gallagher's cVntish ways? ;)

This is taken from my blog last season:

] Gally tops Vote for Goat[/b]

Scapegoats are a popular crutch for football fans. We see a problem, want a solution and then want someone to blame in the meantime. It is simple psychology. But it seems that we (and I'm sure we're not alone in this) always have a scapegoat on the go.

This season has been characterised by poor team performances, poor individual performances and a deep seated inconsistency. So, of course we take it in turns to single out an individual to blame for much bigger problems.

Wellens. Bamba. Beckford. Gallagher. Danns.

They all come up eventually. I honestly believe that we don't have a single player in the squad at the minute that goes out deliberately to play badly. But I think we have fans in the stands, forums and phone-ins that deliberately want to moan at and downright abuse our players.

On a very basic level this is counterintuitive. It's our team, our club and they are our players. We can always achieve more pulling in the same direction, than against each other.

Before I go further, let me just briefly explain my view of Gallagher. He is clearly a player with talent. He strikes the ball sweeter than anyone at the club. He has the most powerful strike of anyone at the club (see his penalties). He is capable of scoring the most spectacular goals (see the Palace home game), probably more so that anyone at the club. He is certainly the best free kick taker when shooting directly at goal (see the Cardiff home game and Norwich at home last season) and arguably the best free kick taker when crossing into the box (see Portsmouth home game assist for Nugent's equaliser).

But…(I hear you cry!) he has his flaws. He is not physical, at all, a strong wind and he is down or out of the challenge, he can not win anything in the air (although he has scored with his head before – that brilliant lob-header with his back to goal to finish a hat-trick against Scunthorpe).

Essentially the problem is he is very good at what he does, but what he does is not enough. When he plays well and scores a great goal, his inclusion is worth it, but the gamble sometimes seems to be too high, with many games with him not being involved.

He needs to improve the rest of his game to win people over, he should look to Dyer for that (a player that used to receive the ball, put his head down and run as fast as he could, but now actually plays with the rest of the team).

But as much as people dislike Gallagher's style, what certainly won't help is the reaction he gets from some quarters. It seems odd to me that those that are calling for more passion, involvement and muscle from Gallagher are also the same ones that cheer him being substituted and also cheer him going off injured, hoping that the injury will be long term!

Imagine yourself at work; your manager is unhappy with your recent performance and he quite rightly wants to see improvement. Now imagine that his approach to encourage improvement is to heckle and moan at your every mistake, and take cheap shots at you when ever you are close to failure. I don't think any of us would positively respond to that, so why should we hope for that in football?

Additionally - all I've seen from Gally is good performances, well meaning ineffectual performances, great penalties and some truly spectacular goals. A lot of recent positive memories are attached to Gally:

- The good wing play for Bamba's goal against Man City in the FA cup

- Brilliant freekicks against Cardiff, Portsmouth and Norwich

- Crazy goals - such as the two against Palace in Pearson's first home game, coming back

- The cross for King's headed goal in the 2nd leg of the playoffs to turn it around from 0-2 to 3-2.

So the way I see it is, he's a good player, great servant to the club, always tried, flawed definitely but we're not Man U - we have flawed players throughout the team/squad, and now after a while out of the team and some truly horrific personal challenges he's worked himself back into the picture. Fair play to him.

And to 'fans' booing - I'm lost for words. You don't boo you're own.

Bit late in the debate but whats the point in bringing Gally back in.Sure he looks a tad fitter but we need to move on with Knocky,marshall(whats up with him BTW)schlupp etc.best of luck but he needs to move on.Still didnt see him head a ball or win a tackle against Huddersfield.

Bit late in the debate but whats the point in bringing Gally back in.Sure he looks a tad fitter but we need to move on with Knocky,marshall(whats up with him BTW)schlupp etc.best of luck but he needs to move on.Still didnt see him head a ball or win a tackle against Huddersfield.

Marshall needs competition for a start & that's without debating anything else.

My sentiments exactly.

Because at some point, Knocky, Marshall Schlupp are going to either be injured/out of form. Then when we have nobody else but Gallagher to call on, who's not played a match for 4 months, you'll all be moaning that Gally isn't fit enough. Team game, and Gally is more than adequate backup for Knocky/Marshall.

Additionally - all I've seen from Gally is good performances, well meaning ineffectual performances, great penalties and some truly spectacular goals. A lot of recent positive memories are attached to Gally:

- Crazy goals - such as the two against Palace in Pearson's first home game, coming back

- The cross for King's headed goal in the 2nd leg of the playoffs to turn it around from 0-2 to 3-2.

So the way I see it is, he's a good player, great servant to the club, always tried, flawed definitely but we're not Man U - we have flawed players throughout the team/squad, and now after a while out of the team and some truly horrific personal challenges he's worked himself back into the picture. Fair play to him.

He was also playing brilliantly in the Man City away tie before being injured!

Well, I personally think that's debatable. One of the reasons I don't particularly like him is because he never seems to try, and rarley challenges; he will back out of tackles, I've seen him do it many times. He isn't good enough for a club looking for promotion, and he isn't consistent enough - which is even proved in your recent memories point. In my opinion, some of those points shouldn't be a positive memory. For example, decent crossing (in your points, for King and Bamba) is standard for any creative forward/attacking midfielder. Yeah, he has scored some good goals, and some decent free kicks, but he doesn't deliver on a consistent basis. Which is probably why he couldn't make it at Blackburn and was loaned out to the likes of Stoke and Plymouth before joining Leicester.

I don't think it's right to boo a specific player, but people bringing it up all the time doesn't help either, and that's something that annoys me as well. At the end of the day, there is a reason why the majority (me included) don't rate him.

Well, I personally think that's debatable. One of the reasons I don't particularly like him is because he never seems to try, and rarley challenges; he will back out of tackles, I've seen him do it many times. He isn't good enough for a club looking for promotion, and he isn't consistent enough - which is even proved in your recent memories point. In my opinion, some of those points shouldn't be a positive memory. For example, decent crossing (in your points, for King and Bamba) is standard for any creative forward/attacking midfielder. Yeah, he has scored some good goals, and some decent free kicks, but he doesn't deliver on a consistent basis. Which is probably why he couldn't make it at Blackburn and was loaned out to the likes of Stoke and Plymouth before joining Leicester.

I don't think it's right to boo a specific player, but people bringing it up all the time doesn't help either, and that's something that annoys me as well. At the end of the day, there is a reason why the majority (me included) don't rate him.

But Doesn't merit booing him. That is bang out of order, demoralising to the player, his team mates most of the crowd and anyone within earshot. Extremely negative. But why ? From what I can make out from the morons behind me who were booing, it's because he isn't a knuckle dragging loony, who throws himself around committing tackles like the one which nearly broke Ben Marshall's leg against Huddersfield. If that's what they want to see, should they not be buying tickets for Welford Rd. because I don't believe they or their stinking attitudes are fit for the KP !!!!

Archived