Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Booing Gally

No it isn't. Portsmouth were brilliant when they beat us 6-1.

Three years ago. When they were bottom of the league and hadn't won in ages.

I'm not saying its good, but you seem to think everywhere outside of Filbert Way is like Borussia Dortmund. It's not.

Oh yes you would.

You definitely, definitely would. One glance at their forums suggests laying into their own players at the match is a massive issue there.

They strike me as far more behind their side than our 'fans'.

Three years ago. When they were bottom of the league and hadn't won in ages.

I'm not saying its good, but you seem to think everywhere outside of Filbert Way is like Borussia Dortmund. It's not.

If there's a ground that is that quiet at 6-1, then I'm yet to come across it.

Maybe the likes of MK Dons or Reading but to even be compared to those two would be a disgrace.

They strike me as far more behind their side than our 'fans'.

I don't think that's the case, they're an utterly reprehensible bunch who are just as if not more capable of slating their own players and team.

I used to think 'all bright supporters at every club think that the bulk of fellow fans are thick morons because, well, a lot of them probably are'. Then I moved away for a few years. As you speak to more and more neutrals it dawns on you that we aren't your average lot.

I realised that all fans agree that there are some sets of supporters which are better than others.

I also realised that we didn't come particularly high up on everyone else's lists. People seem to feel that we have a good vocal minority accompanied by a pretty miserable majority of fans. Our away following is good, but at home we're drowned out by the apathetic, quarrelsome and hopelessly dour multitudes.

This isn't far from the truth. We do have a stunning away following, and some of the most popular fans' forums on the net: Those that care seem to care a lot.

But I remember reading years ago that we have, potentially, the fifth or six biggest catchment of fans in the game - but play to a subdued 24,000 on a good week. Not only is the ground silent but when we do summon up energy it's usually to call for a manager's head after two months in the job (see O'Neill, Pearson) or to slate our own players. I remember fans spitting at Little in early 94, weeks before he took us up and months before we were so disgusted by his defection to Villa.

And I've lost count of the number of players we've turned on. Most of them weren't up to much, like Gallagher or Carey or De Vries for instance, but we have been known to get it wrong. It occurred to me when I got home and reviewed today's goalscorers in the Championship that, even now, most City fans haven't got over the sense of pure contempt which drove Kermorgant and N'Guessan out of the club.

Add to that the fights I've seen between rowing City fans, the petty, objectionable stewards, the deafening silence at home and the keenness so many of us show to dismiss our managers within weeks of their arrival... and it's easy to see why other fans - and a fair few of our own - don't rate our lot too highly.

I think we are a pretty reasonable bunch to be honest.

There is a vocal minority who do not seem too think to hard about the effects of their yawping but on the whole, we are quite patient, passionate and knowledgeable. If you are talking about volume, then the crowd was louder against both Barnsley and Cardiff.

This is because there was something to play for in these games. We were chasing the game and frustration makes people vocal. Today, it was effectively all over at half-time. People sitting contentedly watching their side are not inspired to shout and scream about it. Every time there was a chance to show our appreciation, the fans did so, but without any great passion or urgency as there wasn't anything riding on the last quarter of the game.

I personally didn't hear anyone booing Gallagher and I cannot believe people did.

Back to the mindless but vocal minority.

Why was the Beckford chant not fair game?

He wanted to leave. He wanted to go to Huddersfield. He took a pay cut to go there. I'm sure if Huddersfield wanted to sign him permanently he'd be there in a flash.

I'd be astonished if he ever played another game for us. He probably wasn't even there today.

I didn't Agee with it. He is still our player. I highly doubt you'd hear the same if it was Gallagher, for example. He wanted to go, maybe because he wasn't wanted here.

I don't think that's the case, they're an utterly reprehensible bunch who are just as if not more capable of slating their own players and team.

If you say so. I'm not convinced myself, I fully agree they're a horrible bunch but... tell me honestly, could you imagine going to Millwall and seeing them boo a sub on when FIVE ONE up?

The fans have yet again put a downer on the game for me, maybe I'm too easy to focus on the negatives but it's been the same shit all season.

If you say so. I'm not convinced myself, I fully agree they're a horrible bunch but... tell me honestly, could you imagine going to Millwall and seeing them boo a sub on when FIVE ONE up?

The fans have yet again put a downer on the game for me, maybe I'm too easy to focus on the negatives but it's been the same shit all season.

Don't get me wrong I agree with that. But I thought you were suggesting that they wouldn't boo their own players, which simply isn't the case.

I used to think 'all bright supporters at every club think that the bulk of fellow fans are thick morons because, well, a lot of them probably are'. Then I moved away for a few years. As you speak to more and more neutrals it dawns on you that we aren't your average lot.

I realised that all fans agree that there are some sets of supporters which are better than others.

I also realised that we didn't come particularly high up on everyone else's lists. People seem to feel that we have a good vocal minority accompanied by a pretty miserable majority of fans. Our away following is good, but at home we're drowned out by the apathetic, quarrelsome and hopelessly dour multitudes.

This isn't far from the truth. We do have a stunning away following, and some of the most popular fans' forums on the net: Those that care seem to care a lot.

But I remember reading years ago that we have, potentially, the fifth or six biggest catchment of fans in the game - but play to a subdued 24,000 on a good week. Not only is the ground silent but when we do summon up energy it's usually to call for a manager's head after two months in the job (see O'Neill, Pearson) or to slate our own players. I remember fans spitting at Little in early 94, weeks before he took us up and months before we were so disgusted by his defection to Villa.

And I've lost count of the number of players we've turned on. Most of them weren't up to much, like Gallagher or Carey or De Vries for instance, but we have been known to get it wrong. It occurred to me when I got home and reviewed today's goalscorers in the Championship that, even now, most City fans haven't got over the sense of pure contempt which drove Kermorgant and N'Guessan out of the club.

Add to that the fights I've seen between rowing City fans, the petty, objectionable stewards, the deafening silence at home and the keenness so many of us show to dismiss our managers within weeks of their arrival... and it's easy to see why other fans - and a fair few of our own - don't rate our lot too highly.

This has got to be one of the most depressing posts I've read, and do you know why it's so depressing? Because it's so true.

I get shot down when I criticise our support, but it's a joke these days and I'm sick of the shit excuses like "oh it's shit everywhere else" etc...

Our support this year has been embarrassing, not 'not up to scratch', a fvcking embarrassment. Shite for noise, far too high for expectations and today was the topping, absolutely incredible display from the team, yet we STILL have 'fans' booing certain players and we STILL have minimal songs other than around the goals.

Absolutely atrocious.

BUT, the next two games have potential from a personal point of view, hope to fvck we live up to it.

We're actually better when we're underdogs or up against it.

We were outstanding noise wise home and away against Manchester City in the FA Cup, which gives me hope if we manage to get promoted.

We were outstanding noise wise home and away against Manchester City in the FA Cup, which gives me hope if we manage to get promoted.

Whilst I agree... League One? Title favourites, we were class away from home all season, even half decent at home.

Yes. Man City, Norwich, Chelsea. Underdog mentality and we get behind the team.

Whilst I agree... League One? Title favourites, we were class away from home all season, even half decent at home.

I'm struggling to describe why our support has deteriorated since that season, but I do think it's probably because our high expectations were constantly being met that season. Any idiot could have told you we were going to win that league by January.

Obviously I can't get down as much as I used to, but Wednesday away this season was much more like it. So much better than the games I got to see last season, Peterborough away being the nadir.

Perhaps as we get to the business end the support will improve, especially if we're in a good position.

Yes. Man City, Norwich, Chelsea. Underdog mentality and we get behind the team.

I've heard nothing but positives about those games.

Some Canaries fans described us as the best fans to visit Carrow Road that season, and we were incredible at Eastlands.

As I say, I actually think our support would improve upon promotion. Away from home at least, I think we'd get a lot of johnny-come-lately supporters at home.

Archived