Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hugo Sanchez

Barclay Out

A little of topic i know. But a bit of an insight into the mind of lcfc stewards.

The group of lads i go with had season tickets in sk1 at filbert st. Call it safety in no.s but with a whole section standing we never had any problems.

We choose to remain in sk1 when moving to the walkers. Choosing the back 2 rows. Wanting to stand bit not block any views. First couple of seasons again no real problems a few requests to keep the isle clear. Fair enough.

Then as attendances start to drop off and we lose the regulars in front of us. Boom at half time as 2 off us going down for a wee/drink whatever it was. Wisked off by 4 stewards kicked out. Seasos taken and a 3 game ban.

Now bare in mind there was no request to sit during that game. No request to sit during other games and we have no one behind us to complain we are blocking views.

It turns out they had the cctv trained on us for the previous 3 games. What a joke. We had been standing from day 1 so they could have done it at anytime but they are just little hitlers who are scared of crowds but ok when a group splits.

The 2 guys removed eventually had the bans reduced but as they both are members of the englands fans plus and follow england away. It nearly cost them their memberships.

There is no reasoned argument. The idiot threw an object the steward saw it and he was quite rightly thrown out. No matter what anyone on here says or does is going to change a thing so save your breaths.

I get what you're saying. It depends whether you see this as being heavy-handed and, perhaps, I'm a little biased because I've seen the stewards act in this way in the past on other more clear-cut occasions. A letter to the club with a few hundred signatures listing fans' experiences of the stewards acting in an excessive and intolerant manner (and including this incident among many others, with an acknowledgement that the fan in question was out of order, but suggesting that the response was typically disproportionate) would definitely warrant consideration.

But any complaint must be measured, reasonable and conscious that the fan has done wrong. It must also refer to a lot more than just one instance of a steward going too far because, to be frank, the club would dismiss this incident out of hand, were it to be presented on its own.

Then as attendances start to drop off and we lose the regulars in front of us. Boom at half time as 2 off us going down for a wee/drink whatever it was. Wisked off by 4 stewards kicked out. Seasos taken and a 3 game ban.

Now bare in mind there was no request to sit during that game. No request to sit during other games and we have no one behind us to complain we are blocking views.

Yes it's heavy-handed. Interesting though that someone made a comparison with atmospheres on the continent. In England, I'm afraid, people like those sitting behind you are far more likely to complain to stewards without saying a word to the stewards than they are in Germany, where they'd probably lob a clump of rolled up sandwiches at the back of your head and tell you to sit the **** down.

Again, these are all valid gripes but a complaint can't consist entirely of instances where the fans in question have done something wrong. And if you were to include encounters like this in any complaint - along with the example I gave of the old boy smoking his pipe on the first game after the ban - then it must be with an appreciation that fans gave misbehaved, but that the way the club/stewards have handled the issue has been wrong.

Seems to me that if you throw something in a football stadium, you deserve to be kicked out. People don't go to football to get bombarded with objects; they go to watch their team. Does the steward know what was thrown? Or did he just see an object flying out of someones hand into the stands? For all the steward knows, it could have been a lighter, coin, bottle etc or something that could do someone some real damage. Even a sandwich bag could hurt if it hit someone fragile low down in the wrong place. A ban is maybe taking it a little too far, but you can't go into a stadium throwing things around at other people regardless of what it is and what your intentions are.

A little of topic i know. But a bit of an insight into the mind of lcfc stewards.

The group of lads i go with had season tickets in sk1 at filbert st. Call it safety in no.s but with a whole section standing we never had any problems.

We choose to remain in sk1 when moving to the walkers. Choosing the back 2 rows. Wanting to stand bit not block any views. First couple of seasons again no real problems a few requests to keep the isle clear. Fair enough.

It turns out they had the cctv trained on us for the previous 3 games. What a joke. We had been standing from day 1 so they could have done it at anytime but they are just little hitlers who are scared of crowds but ok when a group splits.

The 2 guys removed eventually had the bans reduced but as they both are members of the englands fans plus and follow england away. It nearly cost them their memberships.

You can get kicked out of there by receiving a caution for pissing in the street

If the football gets kicked into the stands and you throw it towards the pitch, are you committing a criminal offence?

Technically yes

Throwing of missiles.

It is an offence for a person at a designated football match to throw anything at or towards—

(a)the playing area, or any area adjacent to the playing area to which spectators are not generally admitted, or

(b)any area in which spectators or other persons are or may be present,without lawful authority or lawful excuse (which shall be for him to prove).

Seems to me that if you throw something in a football stadium, you deserve to be kicked out. People don't go to football to get bombarded with objects; they go to watch their team.

I don't think people do go to the football just to watch their team. They go to be part of something. They go for a laugh, a sing, to indulge in some mild misbehaviour. At least this is how it used to be.

If people just went to watch their team, then if the team were rubbish then they would stop. This doesn't happen because people go for far more complicated reasons. Owners of football clubs are happy for this to be the case so long as revenue keeps flooding in even in bad times but they do not want to make an iota of effort to recognise the culture which grows up around a football club, which is in fact the lifeblood of the club.

I personally think alienating young and passionate supporters is a massive own goal for the club which will only result in its decline.

By the way, I'm a boring git in the West Stand. But...I do try to see other people's points of view.

Barclay out chant for the 10 mins ? What can they do then ?

Nothing.

I daresay the impact would be just as limited though. You can cite the Gang of Four and Pierrepoint protests but I just can't see this gathering the same momentum as the average LCFC fan wouldn't see Barclay's influence as being anything like as insidious as the former.

Honestly, I think being clever and using the proper channels has far more potential. The FCC could be a potent weapon if the right people are appointed and are furnished with the right information.

I dont believe that. Havent they just advertised for some sort of supporters commitee? If ever they're gonna listen its now. Having your 'they wont listen' argument really wont get us anywhere.

If I can get us an appointment with Barclay himself, would 2 or 3 of you be happy to attend and have a proper sit down?

That's been tried too. The bloke is a complete w*nker.

Archived