Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hugo Sanchez

Barclay Out

READ THE LAST PAGE

people who want to protest about this situation will affect the players on the pitch most likely, which a lot of people are agreeing with. I'm not tarnishing all LCFC fans as thugs, at all.

Im proud of most of our fans

Happy now mate?

How does that make them thugs?

it was initially a protest about the policeman shooting someone, don't know the full details.

This lead to 'people' if you can call them that performing mindless acts like looting and acts of violence against the Police and some Citizens which yes, is called a protest,

An 'act of violence against the police and some citizens... is called a protest'?

Think you're a little confused on this one. Not for the first time.

He was arrested and received a police caution.

Thanks almost missed that amongst the handbags.

Can this caution be quashed or removed, not really sure how it works, my focus of any chants and protests would be justice for weasel, a caution seems ridiculous, it is not like he did it repeatedly after being warned.

If the club backed any support for weasel it would carry much more weight, but if you start attacking a member of the club, when it was the police that charged him, Barclay doesn't control the police.

I don't know if it is possible to have a caution removed, there a few legal experts on here who might be able to advise.

But with regards disrupting the players and affecting a match, chanting 'justice for weasel' is not going to phase them as opposed to Barclay out. Make it a more general point about justice for fans and being sick of fans being automatically assumed to be criminals, there are plenty of other examples of heavy handed policing at matches.

Make it about justice for fans you may even get the opposition fans joining in, doing it on a televised match would also raise the profile, someone said Boro was the next televised match. I'm sure they would find this equally ridiculous and may even join in any chanting.

your suggesting the thugs who cost the tax payer millions with their protests aren't idiots? look back at last summer with the London Riots.

****in hell, there are thugs then there are sandwich bag throwers.

The fact is that in any normal walk of life throwing an object such as these would not warrant a police caution. Granted, its more to do with the pathetic laws of our game than it is the fault of stewards and police who are following said pathetical rules, but thugs??

****in hell, there are thugs then there are sandwich bag throwers.

The fact is that in any normal walk of life throwing an object such as these would not warrant a police caution. Granted, its more to do with the pathetic laws of our game than it is the fault of stewards and police who are following said pathetical rules, but thugs??

I'd give up debating him he's clearly an idiot.

C man says move to sk2 but its alright saying it. We need people who will move and stand and sing in this section. Its always empty aswell. If theres only 10 of you. Stewards can chuck you out easier but if we had a few hundred they couldn't anything. The kop is a joke now. Wierd because people in there of no intenion of standing or singing. Old people, families, Middle aged women. What happened to us ?

Yes, something needs to be done and we can't just sit down and accept what's happened. For the Sky cameras to see a protest you'd have to have the banners in the West Stand and there's not a cat in hells chance of that.

The best way of making our voices heard is to book an appointment with the club and speak to them.

Safe standing stand is brilliant in my book btw :thumbup:

C man says move to sk2 but its alright saying it. We need people who will move and stand and sing in this section. Its always empty aswell. If theres only 10 of you. Stewards can chuck you out easier but if we had a few hundred they couldn't anything. The kop is a joke now. Wierd because people in there of no intenion of standing or singing. Old people, families, Middle aged women. What happened to us ?

I sit in the Kop and i agree, the atmosphere is dire 90% of the time. People tell you to sit down if you stand during the match, and people only stand for a corner.

Anyone thought about how this could affect our team ON the pitch. If anyone worries so much about this they should go through the right channels at the club, not boycott the games that will affect our players?

Some right fvcking thicko's on here, if I went into any other establishment and started chucking stuff around then I'd expect to be dealt with.

Same attitude with "supporters" at games, give it big licks to the away fans during the game then as soon as they get outside and come up against someone bigger and harder they'll run to the police..

Good luck with any sort of protest you may get about 20 people interested. Most of us worry about what happens on the pitch

Haha, well this thread certainly proves one thing - a large portion of the posters on here really are the arseholes of this world!

Throw something around in a public space and think it's fine?!? Why the hell shouldn't he have been punished? If I head into Highcross today and chuck some stuff around I'll get done.

Before anyone has a moan, I'm very much in favour of encouraging more atmosphere etc, but it has to be done in an appropriate way.

To anyone who has actually posted on here defending it - please try and engage your single figure IQ before making pathetically idiotic comments.

This whole situation pretty well demonstrates a large portion of the problem with much of society today.

Have to say, my feelings are more with the above than the rest of this thread. I'm up for a laugh as much as anyone, but sticking up for this guy is plain ridiculous. I appreciate the demographic of FoxesTalk these days is probably the young "Lad" (I'm probably just about in that category to some people) but football has always been a game for everyone. Nobody should go to the Walkers and be worried about excessive or unruly behaviour. On this occasion, it does sound perhaps a bit heavy-handed to have arrested the lad, but I wouldn't want a roll of sandwich bags chucked at my gran or my young niece. No-one should have to put up with that. The rules are pretty clear (and pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain) - don't chuck stuff. It's stupid and irresponsible to argue that it was "just" this or that - it doesn't matter. What if someone else saw something being thrown and they threw something else, bigger and heavier. Whose fault would that be? Or if the guy got away with it and chucks something else at the next game? Pretty much anything thrown from a height/distance can harm or, at the very least, scare someone and quite rightly it's not acceptable behaviour in a public setting.

Those arguing on here about "suppression" and other similar dramas should really stop and have a little think. We may not agree with everything that the people in charge of the Club do, but they have rules and regulations, fire safety, insurance etc to think about. They have to control 20,000 plus people coming into a confined space for a couple of hours, sometimes dealing with tense situations. You can't really blame them for clamping down and, maybe one day, you'll be grateful they did. Just ask some adults about tough experiences at football grounds in the old days. It wasn't fun, people got hurt, decent people were scared. Again, I am not comparing that to the incident in question, just putting it in context of why there are rules. You can't really ask a steward or police officer to stand and try to work out if a missile (i.e. any object thrown by the crowd) is a dangerous one or just a bit of a laugh. Like I said, if it's big enough to be thrown then it could cause some damage or spark something that shouldn't happen.

Incidentally, I think the personal attack on Kevin Barclay is also extremely unwarranted and reflects badly on people here. Posting his picture is pretty shameful. I hate censorship (and think we have too much on here occasionally) but personally I would close and delete this thread. It seems to be approaching dangerously close to libel or incitement and the forum owners might have to answer for it.

C man says move to sk2 but its alright saying it.

Not SK2 chaps that where I sit and I have a blanket over my lap and flask and sandwich box under my seat during the game, these would get knocked about if I had to stand for a game.

Who thought up standing at a football match, seats are there to be used. ;)

ok i need a little clarification as to exactly what was thrown? i have been sad enough to pop into wilko's this afternoon to buy the largest roll of sandwhich bags i could find (100) to see for myself exactly what kind of life threatening injury these ghastly missiles could cause. my findings are as follows.

1 single sandwhich bag - impossible to throw more than 3 feet with 2 out of 3 throws blowing back into my face, which had i been less than 6 months old and unsupervised at the king power stadium may have resulted in suffocation. danger rating 1/10 (just because with todays jeremy kyle bunch there well may be unsupervised infants around)

50 rolled up sandwhich bags - test subject was my drunk house mate asleep on the couch, threw the roll at his face as hard as i could from around 6 feet away. he grunted slightly and continued snoring. danger rating 0/10

100 rolled up sandwhich bags - allowed my house mate to throw the full monty at my face from 6 feet away, the outcome being that whether i was 1 or 100, fully abled or disabled, male or female or suffering from any life threatening the illness the sandwhich bag missile could have caused no physical or mental damage. although i must stress i am not a qualified doctor. danger rating 0/10

i hope my scientific experiment conducted after an afternoon session down the pub help you all to make an informed opinion on the seriousness of this most henious of crimes.

Have you thought of the possibility of a petition rather than a protest? Even with a couple of hundred names it'd have some weight.

Personally I'd focus on the general behaviour of stewards, rather than this incident in isolation. The club may be inclined to dismiss it with a single comment that 'all missiles are strictly prohibited blah blah', especially as this is a tender issue in football at the moment and they're conscious that, if they don't take a tough stance now and someone injures a linesman at a later date, then they could be in trouble.

I've been shocked by the behaviour of the stewards since the move to the KP. We worry about the atmosphere but I've seen fans warned not to make too much noise and, on one occasion, I went with an elderly relative (who likes to commentate on games as if no-one else is there, admittedly) who was told to shut up or get a flat face by a couple of thirty stone apes who also threatened a young girl in front of them. When the old boy refused, and with the girl's father creating a scene with them, they went to the stewards who promptly told the old man to quieten down, after which two of those accompanying me on that day vowed never to come again.

It also reminds me of when the smoking ban first came in. I used to sit next to an old boy who'd smoke his pipe every half time. On the first day of the ban he clearly forgot and was asked to put it out, which he promptly did, with an apology. Ten minutes later four stewards turned up and asked him to leave, after which I never saw him again. Okay, there's no point in complaining, but it does seem to be indicative of a 'Little Hitler' culture among these chaps.

I think it's a wider problem than one single incident and if the club suspects that the ethos of their stewards (I can't blame Barclay personally as I don't know him) deters fans from coming to games then, considering our attendance issues, they'd be more likely to act.

The stewards were probably fvcked off that they had to tidy up all the mess and couldn't nick you for it on the grounds that you can litter as long as you paid entrance to a facility. All a bit petty really isn't it!

Some people on here are just stupid, I'm 26 and I've been following the foxes for a few years now and I've never thrown anything. If you thrown ANYTHING you risk getting thrown out where it be a sandwich bag or a £1 coin. Dont throw anything and you wont get thrown out SIMPLE or not as the case may be.

Have to say, my feelings are more with the above than the rest of this thread. I'm up for a laugh as much as anyone, but sticking up for this guy is plain ridiculous. I appreciate the demographic of FoxesTalk these days is probably the young "Lad" (I'm probably just about in that category to some people) but football has always been a game for everyone. Nobody should go to the Walkers and be worried about excessive or unruly behaviour. On this occasion, it does sound perhaps a bit heavy-handed to have arrested the lad, but I wouldn't want a roll of sandwich bags chucked at my gran or my young niece. No-one should have to put up with that. The rules are pretty clear (and pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain) - don't chuck stuff. It's stupid and irresponsible to argue that it was "just" this or that - it doesn't matter. What if someone else saw something being thrown and they threw something else, bigger and heavier. Whose fault would that be? Or if the guy got away with it and chucks something else at the next game? Pretty much anything thrown from a height/distance can harm or, at the very least, scare someone and quite rightly it's not acceptable behaviour in a public setting.

Those arguing on here about "suppression" and other similar dramas should really stop and have a little think. We may not agree with everything that the people in charge of the Club do, but they have rules and regulations, fire safety, insurance etc to think about. They have to control 20,000 plus people coming into a confined space for a couple of hours, sometimes dealing with tense situations. You can't really blame them for clamping down and, maybe one day, you'll be grateful they did. Just ask some adults about tough experiences at football grounds in the old days. It wasn't fun, people got hurt, decent people were scared. Again, I am not comparing that to the incident in question, just putting it in context of why there are rules. You can't really ask a steward or police officer to stand and try to work out if a missile (i.e. any object thrown by the crowd) is a dangerous one or just a bit of a laugh. Like I said, if it's big enough to be thrown then it could cause some damage or spark something that shouldn't happen.

Incidentally, I think the personal attack on Kevin Barclay is also extremely unwarranted and reflects badly on people here. Posting his picture is pretty shameful. I hate censorship (and think we have too much on here occasionally) but personally I would close and delete this thread. It seems to be approaching dangerously close to libel or incitement and the forum owners might have to answer for it.

I'd go along with the first paragraph, but tend to think that our stewards are less tolerant than those I've seen at most (but certainly not all) other grounds. I've got no problem with the idea of a complaint and have considered it myself in the past, but focusing on one individual in a bid to get him fired and specifying one incident in which, while very harshly dealt with, the culprit has actually broken the law, won't get anyone anywhere.

I sit in the Kop and i agree, the atmosphere is dire 90% of the time. People tell you to sit down if you stand during the match, and people only stand for a corner.

A steward actually told me to sit down whilst I was standing for a corner

You can't win though. The club won't listen to any reasoned argument.

There is no reasoned argument. The idiot threw an object the steward saw it and he was quite rightly thrown out. No matter what anyone on here says or does is going to change a thing so save your breaths.

An articulate and well-written post, but you seem to be of the naive belief that all of these rules are solely for our benefit rather than to control us as supporters. One only needs to look at how fan culture is in Germany, far more lenient and vibrant than our own on the whole, to realise that we don't all have to be sat in near silence for stadia to be safe, controlled and enjoyable for all. The problem at the moment is that stadia are not all-inclusive. The 'young lad' demographic you refer to is not catered for to any great extent so football is not a 'game for everyone' as things stand. It is heavily swayed towards the middle-classes and families. Why? Primarily because these are the demographics with greater disposable income and they are less likely to cause disorder at games.

The trouble is that these groups are also less likely to create the kinds of atmosphere for which English football was envied across Europe. I'm not talking about the visceral, threatening atmosphere of the 70s and 80s, but the passionate and friendly atmospheres of the 1960s where vast crowds would sing good natured songs and football was a cheap and fun release at the end of a long week for the working man. Do you not see that the suppression of atmosphere, enjoyment and young people singing in support of their team is exclusive? It is every bit as exclusive as families being scared to take their kids to games in the 1980s.

This caused attendances to implode, 8000 attendances at Filbert Street were common, and nearly killed the game off. Attendances outside the Premiership are beginning to dip even now in the midst of a recession. Ticket prices are too high, stewarding and policing are heavy handed and atmospheres are flat. We've all had a giggle at Coventry's poor attendances, but we could potentially be a couple of poor seasons away from similar if these issues are not addressed. The bottom could very easily fall out of modern football as the young are not catered for. The KP is a great place to go if you have kids or are a kid, but if you're young and single and want to get behind your team as your father might have done then you're met with outright hostility. Little wonder it appears less are bothering this season, a season where we've arguably looked the most likely to go for automatic promotion for the first time in a decade.

Finally, Kevin Barclay has something of a murky past when it comes to supporters. He has been known to renege on promises for leniency with supporters' groups and has been accused on more than one occasion of pursuing unprofessional personal vendettas. There is one more than one poster able to testify to this. As one of the most senior members of the club hierarchy, which by the way is why his picture is in the public domain on lcfc.com, this can only be negative. Supporters should feel that they are well-treated, respected and treated fairly by the club into which many supporters put hundreds and perhaps thousands of pounds a season. It is only right, given his seniority, that Barclay is as open to criticism as the board.

Archived