Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Boro Post Match Thread (1-0 home win)

How we managed to score a goal, have another arguably good goal disallowed, have a third goal rightly disallowed and hit the woodwork three or four times yet still almost drop two points is remarkable.

Why do we do it? Our last ditch defending was magnificent but why the hell we allowed Middlesbrough to come onto us - and almost up to our penalty area once we'd scored - I'll never comprehend.

Yes, Pearson stayed lucky. But only through the grace of Kasper Schmeichel's penalty save and the idiocy of the Middlesbrough striker choosing the place the ball instead of whacking it.

Vardy will surely reflect on his clumsiness/recklessness in conceding the penalty but should he really have been in that position at all? I would far rather he'd been at the other end pressing the opposition and helping prevent us ever getting into that vulnerable situation..

That said another clean sheet deserves praise - especially against some enterprising attacking - but we shouldn't make the mistake of feeling smug because the visitors got behind our defence far too easily by always having someone running off the man with the ball while we, too often, had no tracking midfielders.

For me the clean sheet wasn't so much about assured, text book, defending but about last ditch determination from players who somehow got something in the way of everything between them.

And yet we still might have had five or six goals and the winning goal was an absolute classic in every way. Quick give and go, sublime touch by Wood and a finish of near genius by Nugent.

Four straight wins is hugely morale boosting and although our return to the top two might be temporary for the time being we've firmly placed ourselves back into contention for automatic promotion and that's to be praised.

For a 1-0, it was a grippingly entertaining game with all sorts of dramas at both ends with the three points being welcome and encouraging reward for a team that increasingly looks capable of scoring for fun.

If we dont get promotion this season we never will. Its got to be our best squad since the MON days (To be fair i think this team is more exciting) . These are the sort of games that win promotion. The last few years WE was the Middlesbrough team going home unlucky to get even a point. This year IS the year i can feel it (and the beer) . 17 games left and were 2nd in a very tough league but like i say THIS IS THE YEAR!!! THIS IS SPARTA....... I mean LEICESTER!!!!! Hang over a definate in the morning!

Good game overal considering the conditions and you deserved the win.

Very open and entertaining from both sides I thought (you had the better chances but Boro were pretty decent until it came to the shooting part)

I wouldn't fancy us over-taking you in the table TBH (our usual defeat to come ofcourse..)

Think you've got the confidence and goalscorers to even catch Cardiff.

So so happy after that result. Actually buzzing. Thank you NP for bringing some pride back to the team as you did last time.

Gutted I wasn't there to see it but the celebrations in my living room were insane. Kasper is the penalty king.

Very impressed with Keane too, 19?! Wow. Passes the ball fantastically out from defence.

Seriously think we'll be playing the big boys next year!

Fantastic performance from the team despite one or two being a little of off their best. A performance that just about deserved the points but that said 'Boro were pretty good, at least they came to play football....... :appl:

A couple of things were obvious,

Firstly 'Boro's extra man in the middle helped to give them plenty of possession, they often they had a man free running at us but for once our last ditch defending was exceptional.

Our attacking play was a bit 'pre Wood', several chances were made but nothing really clear cut, seen that a few times this season, though we did hit the woodwork several times. TV showed Nugent's first strike was very unlucky to be given offside so we were pretty unlucky not to be in front at half time.

Nugent's goal was spectacular but the following substitutions broke up our rhythm somewhat and we set back and let 'Boro get back into it, we sat far to deep, something else we have seen far too often. That said I couldn't really see 'Boro scoring until the penalty, and as I always expect Emnes to score against us I was chuffed to bits to see Schmeichel make the save.

Good game, great result........ :thumbup:

Right, to be fair Vardy was a little naive but that bastard bought the penalty big time! He left his foot in and basically fell over! Vardy was obviously trying hard to impress, got it wrong but didn't bring him down! Boro got what they deserved tonight....nothing! Any team that plays a lone Scotsman up front clearly hasn't got much ambition, even Celtic don't do that! The sky commentary were a total disgrace tonight and anyone would think it was a 'smash & grab' victory. It wasn't. We were much the better side in the final third and had one perfectly good goal ruled out. Nuge and Wood looked great tonight and so did big Wes and Keane. Marshall had a mare but thanks Kasper and a massive thanks to all the people who made it to the game tonight, quality! The prem is on folks!!!

Great win despite not playing our usual game. Always look like scoring when we get forward and our strike force is sublime. It's up to us and Cardiff to consolidate autos from here on in. We were a bit too direct for my liking today but I love how we often adapt our game depending on the opposition, always do our homework

Not the best game but Morgan and Kasper, fantastic tonight

Vardy needs to get out on loan for both parties now, that could have cost us.

That was the best game I have seen down there, 2 good teams cancelled each other out! I was behind Nuge belter! But what a save!!!

I think we deserved the win and was impressed with our battling abilities.

Ok we got bailed out by Kasper but overall we looked relativly solid all game(1 chance from ledesma through on goal aside).

Morgan impresses me more and more, what a beast and saved us numerous times. Keane was solid enough and reads the game well.

Drinky was very poor today and so was James..we were out done in midfield and if we wernt so solid at the back we would of been split open. Most of there dangerous play ended with a shot from 30 yards because of brilliant defending and getting bodies behind the ball.

Very impressed on the fact we have shown we can win games when IMO we were slightly outplayed at times, yet still showed we have the talent to create chances out of nothing. The type of result that a team who are automatic promotion challengers will gain. :)

Great win despite not playing our usual game. Always look like scoring when we get forward and our strike force is sublime. It's up to us and Cardiff to consolidate autos from here on in. We were a bit too direct for my liking today but I love how we often adapt our game depending on the opposition, always do our homework

Hard to play our 'usual game' as we were outnumbered and harassed in midfield, credit to 'Boro for that and even more so as they did it playing football and not trying to kick us off the pitch.

As a result the service to our front men was not quite as good as of late yet we were unlucky not to be ahead at the interval and unlucky not to be ahead by more than one towards the end. I did not think the substitutions helped much either, dyer worried them on occasion but Vardey looked off the pace and for once King had little effect.

Whatever the reason we were a little short of our best and 'Boro as good as anyone we have seen at the KP, bar Palace that is. Gutsy performance ans some strong individual performances, Nugent and Morgan were outstanding and Kasper's save was excellent.

:appl: :appl: :appl: All round.

Archived