Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Pearson out. Realistic?

I don't think I could have worded this any better...

Completely agree...

:thumbup:

Bet Babs finds the 'reactionary' in it though..

lol

No I find it perfectly reasonable, albeit slightly underplaying certain things he did for us. And I certainly agree that you couldn't have worded it any better.

It could've been worded better

"None of us is perfect" should read "none of us are perfect" :P

Good post though, I'd say the season we finished 5th is a bit of a bigger achievement than the post makes out though. Really was an average set of players

It's definitely none of us is perfect. :D

The word 'none' is an abbreviation of 'not one' which is references the singular. It is more correct to use the word 'is' in that context although it isn't wrong to use 'are' and the latter is more common in modern English.

The word 'none' is an abbreviation of 'not one' which is references the singular. It is more correct to use the word 'is' in that context although it isn't wrong to use 'are' and the latter is more common in modern English.

dammit! lol

Was only joking anyway mate. As I said you made some good points

dammit! lol

Was only joking anyway mate. As I said you made some good points

I know you were, don't worry. There are a few typos in there to pick on if you have a good look. One of the disadvantages of trying to type quickly on an iPad.

Actually, both are gramatically correct!

I said that in the last sentence, in a round about way. What a thrilling conversation we're all having. :D

You're right, you did, I think I just got bored half way through your sentence and gave up before the end, haha.

Well, my attempt at looking clever backfired there!

Balance is important. Back in 08 Pearson took a dispirited squad on a four year slide and took them back up to the second tier with a record -breaking season. Don't discredit this - many other teams have continued to slide from a similar position.

Then, with little money spent, he took us to within a penalty shoot-out of a promotion play-off final.

We were dumb beyond words to let him go.

His second stint has been less clear-cut. He failed to forge a winning team out of an expensively assembled set of players and ended up mid-table. He was rightly afforded the benefit of the doubt. But this season he's been given significant funds to put his own side together and the expectation, from board level to fans to neutral pundits, has been that we would secure an automatic spot.

This isn't impossible, but it's beginning to look unlikely.

So, looking at things in the most basic way possible, we can conclude that Pearson has, on balance, been a good manager for the club, but looks at risk of being a disappointment second time round.

For me this is stating the obvious. But, reading this forum, the thing that strikes me is that not everyone is in agreement over the obvious. And until we concur on this, it's hard to get to the point where we can seriously discuss how a side can go from being a disappointment to, well, not a disappointment.

And that discussion must include an acknowledgement that not everything the manager has done has been right.

Forgive me if this seems patronisingly facile. But I feel like we're not clearing the first hurdle here.

There's no doubt his best season with us was his second, getting that squad to 76 points and fifth place was a fine achievement. It is a shame about the play-offs but that was a bonus really. Automatic would've taken an unbelievable effort to overhaul Newcastle and WBA, two teams who since going up have been fine and relatively safe.

We are in a good position, we have enough time to force our way right towards the top. We've had a bad couple of weeks, but Hull had that fairly recently and look what a run has done for them. If we were 9 points clear of Hull, who had two games in hand, would we be writing them off?

There's no doubt his best season with us was his second, getting that squad to 76 points and fifth place was a fine achievement. It is a shame about the play-offs but that was a bonus really. Automatic would've taken an unbelievable effort to overhaul Newcastle and WBA, two teams who since going up have been fine and relatively safe.

We are in a good position, we have enough time to force our way right towards the top. We've had a bad couple of weeks, but Hull had that fairly recently and look what a run has done for them. If we were 9 points clear of Hull, who had two games in hand, would we be writing them off?

For my part, no, I wouldn't write us off at all. All I'm saying is that we must acknowledge three fairly simple truths: (a) That Pearson has been an excellent manager for us in the past, (b) his second spell has, to date, been productive without ever being exceptional and © that some mistakes are being made at management level right now, and it's reasonable for our discussion to be focused on what these might be.

If we can't get to that stage, without slating Pearson's past record or, equally, denying that he's put a foot wrong in recent times, then we're unlikely to come to any reasonable conclusions. Effectively we'll end up with two sets of people vehemently ignoring two unavoidable truths.

but looks at risk of being a disappointment second time round.

Would you have said that two games ago when we were second?

That's why you won't get agreement, because things can change so quickly. Until the dust settles on the season it's impossible to come to any conclusion on whether he's been a success or not.

I think people need to see the whole story he inherited a crap squad,turned it around in a short of amount of time,and with a few more additions we will become very good side,who if we don't go up this season we Will have a great chance next

Really don't know how this thread has managed to survive 12 pages, theirs plenty of games left 2 bad results in the league isn't going to end our season.

Judging by that post you must think you're on another forum, this one's Foxestalk where even one bad result means the end of the world.

I'm a fan of Pearson but he definitely gets a bit more credit here than is proportionate to what he has actually achieved. Let's look at what he has done in his two stretches here.

- League One winners

Granted, we won that title comfortably, but anything less than promotion would have represented abject failure and he would have been out of a job. I was delighted to see us win promotion but it was the least that was expected of him.

- 5th place in our first season back up

This was a success in the context of being a newly promoted sides but it is only at the lower end of what is expected of us historically. Again, Pearson deserves credit for the job he did that season in getting us back up to our 'natural level' but he didn't excel by any means. Our failure to progress past Cardiff was at least in part due to his conservative approach to the first leg and was a sign of tactical naivety.

- His current tenure

He has done a good, but not excellent, job. He has cut the wage bill and improved the team and deserves to be congratulated for that. But he has also spent a lot of money and I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect a bit more to show for that. It isn't as though he has had to rebuild a terrible team. We finished ninth last season, not twenty-first. I don't buy the stuff about his sales somehow balancing out what he has spent. It doesn't work like that. He has no influence on what other clubs are willing to bid for our players and it is the business people at the club who decide what the can afford to reject or accept from interested parties. He does however have a big influence on what proportion of hs available transfer and wage budget he spends on bringing players in. He has spent about £10m since rejoining. That's a lot of money at this level, even these days.

My own view is that if we make the play offs but don't go up he should get another go next year. I've seen enough from him to believe that he can improve a team year on year and I think we have a good base to build on. But that would have to be his last chance and I'd be expecting a title challenge. If we fail to make the play offs this season then I'd sack him. That wouldn't represent any real improvement on last year and just wouldn't be good enough.

I think people overrate Pearsons past achievements here because they are blinded by the ten years of crap we've had to endure. He is quite fortunate that his predecessors/successors here have been so poor. It makes him look a comparative giant. That isn't to say I don't think he has done a good job. I just don't think he has been as brilliant as others seem to believe. There are certainly better managers than him at this level. There are things he is bad at and they have been covered by others in this thread. That's fine; none of us is perfect. But he needs to work on improving in these areas or he will never be more than a decent second tier manager. I have weaknesses at work and I put time aside for professional development. Pearson needs to do similar. I just hope he isn't too stubborn to do so.

Now there's a reasoned argument. And your last sentence is key because whether we make the play-offs or falter, Pearson will need to improve as a manager. And in several important ways.

here is what I posted elsewhere.

I see a few clear problems at the moment and I am not even a football manager by profession.

1 - We have a aweful record on attacking set piece plays, corner after corner, free kicks etc. no goals. Ironically best corner of game from gallagher the sub.

2 - Poor urgency in counter attacking, counter attacking is what we should learn since we not good with possession, team attacks us, when we defend then flood forward, dont slow down the attack allowing defenders to get back like we do time and time again.

3 - No quality backup strikers. In particular a lack of quality in depth sicne pearson started offloading players and he is still offloading players, I am not sure if its his choice or the board have told him to as it seems is a rumour the board wasnt happy buing woods so it looks like the playing budget is having huge cutbacks (maybe due to FFP). Futac still wasnt brought on even with last night's situation, then why is he at the club?

4 - No varying of formation/strategy, why doesnt he do things like go 4-2-4 when we need to get a goal, or change to 4-3-3 to upset the opposition, 5-3-2 5-2-3 etc. always every game all game 4-4-2 so predictable.

On konchesky whilst I agree he is useless at defending he is in the team because of his forward play, he is one of the few players we have capable of decent long balls forward and thru balls and crosses, he is quite consistent on that. Just he really is bad at defending.

In my opinion our main problem is urgency both on and off the ball and that we have been found out, we need new tactics that we can shift to mid game at will.

'I am not even a football manager by profession' :D

I'd agree to some extent with all but the point about counter attacking and Konchesky's forward play.

Whilst it is true that we can lack urgency going forward I'd argue that some of our best goals and victories have resulted from phases of play during which we've had to rely on the counter.

On Konchesky I just think you're plain wrong. He does get forward but he rarely finds the ball to set the man in front of him free, his crosses seldom beat the first man, and he s slow getting back into position which has cost us goals.

Archived