Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Martin O'Neill?

I'm too young to remember, but it must have been really boring getting consecutive top 10 Premiership finishes, winning 2 league cups and qualifying for European football.

I bet the Celtic fans were bored when he won pretty much everything for them too.

And what about Villa? I'm sure they find their current predicament much more exciting, who wants consecutive top 6 finishes when you can be in a relegation fight?

You only have to talk or read from villa fans about how boring the football was when he was the manager and sunderland fans the same, you can go back as much as you want that isnt the point its the recent history he has to be judged on, maybe you wouldnt mind sven back he won stuff too.

Well maybe the Aston Villa fans and Sunderland fans have delusions of grandeur because the success he achieved at both clubs was very good and they are/have both regretted his departure you only have to look at ourselves, Villa to see how far we have regressed since MON left!

If MON comes back the euphoria around the City would be immense packed out gates, I really think the good times could come back with the Thais money and a decent manager in charge not NP.

Well maybe the Aston Villa fans and Sunderland fans have delusions of grandeur because the success he achieved at both clubs was very good and they are/have both regretted his departure you only have to look at ourselves, Villa to see how far we have regressed since MON left!

If MON comes back the euphoria around the City would be immense packed out gates, I really think the good times could come back with the Thais money and a decent manager in charge not NP.

Like I said it's the type of football he produced that turned people off.

Were Villa really boring? I would be suprised but would have to take the Villa fans word for it if they were, but they had Young Downing Carew Milner Barry Petrov to name but a few and even if they were boring I bet they would love to have these players back now. Sunderland yes I can see why they would be labelled as boring, its been difficult for them.

This time next week we could well be 7 points off the play offs, that is then officially season over.

If the owners are going to sack Pearson, I believe it will be tomorrow and I can see it happening if the return is less than 3 points.

Will MON come back? Can't see it but stranger things have happened.

Risking reputation is nothing I suppose NFP took that gamble when he left Hull for Us it is not worked out for him but he took that gamble.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble some work some don't.

But Hull clearly have benefited from his departure!

I think it is really simple appoint a better manager like MON and usually the results are forthcoming.

Villa had the year's longest unbeaten start of any Premier League side in 2006–07 (9 games), not losing a league game until 28 October. Villa suffered a mid-season slump but recovered late in the season, winning their three away games in April, to end the season how it began with a run of 9 unbeaten fixtures. For this O'Neill scooped the Barclays Manager of the Month for April.[22] Villa's final points tally was 50, an improvement of 8 over the previous season and finished 11th, 5 places higher than the previous season.[citation needed]

Aston Villa just missed out on a UEFA Cup spot on the final day of the 2007–08 season and qualified for the Intertoto Cup by finishing 6th. They scored 71 goals, (their best ever tally in the Premier League and best tally since winning the title in 1981), gained 60 points which was Villa's highest points tally since 1996–97, and were the third highest goalscorers.[25] After 25 games of the 2008–09 season the club were third in the table on 51 points, 2 points above Chelsea on level games and 7 points above Arsenal in 5th place and on course for a place in the Champions League for the first time since 1983. O'Neill then decided to prioritise Champions League qualification above all else, fielding a virtual reserve side for a UEFA Cup game against CSKA Moscow which was subsequently lost.[26] Following this, Villa failed to win any of the next 10 league games and improving form for Arsenal & Chelsea meant that Villa failed to reach the top 4.

At the start of the 2009–10 season Villa failed to qualify for the group stage of the newly named Europa League, but continued their progress in the league with wins against Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.[27] Arsenal defeated Villa 3–0 at Emirates Stadium, and drew at home.[27]

Once again Villa finished 6th for the 3rd season running, and once again improved their points tally finishing with 64 points; their poor home form (they drew 8 times at home) denied them a chance to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Aston Villa reached their first final under Martin O'Neill, and first final in 10 years on 28 February 2010 against Manchester United in the League Cup, but lost 2–1.[28]

Boring, Villa fans really?

MON would never come back here. Ever.

I think its a lot more of an even split now between people who want NP to leave and those that want him to stay but talking about MON is a complete waste of time.

He's said in the past he wouldnt go back to a former club, he's never spoken a word of praise about us since he left (quite the opposite), and despite his failings at Sunderland, could still walk into any top 10 Prem club during summer managerial shake ups.

If we're not careful, we'll turn into Forest fans always banging on about Cloughie.

LET IT GO

MON would never come back here. Ever.

I think its a lot more of an even split now between people who want NP to leave and those that want him to stay but talking about MON is a complete waste of time.

He's said in the past he wouldnt go back to a former club, he's never spoken a word of praise about us since he left (quite the opposite), and despite his failings at Sunderland, could still walk into any top 10 Prem club during summer managerial shake ups.

If we're not careful, we'll turn into Forest fans always banging on about Cloughie.

LET IT GO

You know **** all

Risking reputation is nothing I suppose NFP took that gamble when he left Hull for Us it is not worked out for him but he took that gamble.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble some work some don't.

But Hull clearly have benefited from his departure!

I think it is really simple appoint a better manager like MON and usually the results are forthcoming.

Considering how relatively poorly he has done at sunderland, I'd be surprised if he was courted by any decent Prem teams. Sure he did great at Villa but as several are pointing out, its becoming more and more apparent the role that Robertson played.

At leicester by Sheer reputation alone he would be able to carry us over the line... let alone turning the fans into a frenzy

It would be a risk but right now I think the Thais are willing to try anything. Experienced ex international manager hasn't worked...nether has a youngish manager showing potential ...

Anyone that wouldnt take o'neill back is a moron, whether he would come back is a different matter.

Whether anyone thinks he'd come or not, he could be offered a package he couldn't refuse. Everyone has their price, whether that's morally right or not....

Would love to see him back and would welcome him but in all honesty as epic as it would be would mean nothing to our players accept maybe Taft, Martin O Neill had great knowledge of the football league last time this time I doubt he would anymore Nigel Pearson does and would struggle to believe there is a better long term outcome at the moment than keeping Pearson. MON would'nt take it anyway if there was ever a time for him to return it would of been in the last 2 appointments

Anyone that wouldnt take o'neill back is a moron, whether he would come back is a different matter.

There's not a single person on here if they were given the choice, wouldnt have him back. The problem is there are too many on here deluded enough to think that he would come back.

'Gerrim back wiv Walsheh and Muzzeh and we'll be sorteh.'

GET FVCKING REAL

Considering how relatively poorly he has done at sunderland, I'd be surprised if he was courted by any decent Prem teams. Sure he did great at Villa but as several are pointing out, its becoming more and more apparent the role that Robertson played.

At leicester by Sheer reputation alone he would be able to carry us over the line...

It would be a risk but right now I think the Thais are willing to try anything. Experienced ex international manager hasn't worked...nether has a youngish manager showing potential ...

Agreed and for that reason I would bring him in.

Would love to see him back and would welcome him but in all honesty as epic as it would be would mean nothing to our players accept maybe Taft, Martin O Neill had great knowledge of the football league last time this time I doubt he would anymore Nigel Pearson does and would struggle to believe there is a better long term outcome at the moment than keeping Pearson. MON would'nt take it anyway if there was ever a time for him to return it would of been in the last 2 appointments

Do you think o'neills only known by leicester fans, our players would be in awe as much as the rest of us. If their is a chance we should grab it but i very much doubt their is.

The owners offered him the job before and he didn't want to know, why would he want the job now? It's never going to happen.

As I stated earlier, he knew the Sunderland job was coming up. That's the only reason, I know this from a very good source inside the club.

The owners offered him the job before and he didn't want to know, why would he want the job now? It's never going to happen.

He was waiting for a top flight job. I don't think one would be forthcoming now. If he isn't intent on retiring I imagine we have as good a chance of attracting him as anybody. Do I expect it to happen? No. But I do think this as good a chance as we're likely to get and that the owners would be daft not to ask the question. I'd be amazed if they're not on the phone this week asking him or his representatives if he'd fancy it.

Archived