Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Martin O'Neill?

Come on!! How can you say 7th is not a disaster!!! A few weeks ago the Pearson brigade said at least we are safely in the play offs, then they said at least we are In the play offs, and now it seems 7th is good enough!!!!!

7th is not a disaster if you climb there from 20th. 7th IS a disaster when you fall there from 2nd

And there you go, that is the view that really irritates me.

It does not matter at all how we get into the POs this season, only that we do get into them. It's nicer to get there by climbing up rather than falling down but ultimately it doesn't matter because the end result is the same. I know we've got work to do but I still believe we'll get back into them and achieve our goal albeit in a manner that many find frustrating.

Yes, when we were looking comfortable in 2nd only a few weeks ago but since have been in freefall and I can't see where it's going to change.

I'm a Pearson fan for the record, my problem is not with Pearson and I don't see what good sacking Pearson would do, I'd give him next season aswell, my problem is firmly with the players.

But in response to you question 7th is bad considering where we were and how we were playing to where we are and how we are playing.

I think that's frustration though rather than an actual complaint at our league position. Ultimately it doesn't matter how we get into the POs only that we do get there.

And yes I blame the players, how people like Wood can drop their performances that much is staggering. Hard to blame the manager for that.

It does not matter at all how we get into the POs this season, only that we do get into them. It's nicer to get there by climbing up rather than falling down but ultimately it doesn't matter because the end result is the same. I know we've got work to do but I still believe we'll get back into them and achieve our goal albeit in a manner that many find frustrating.

Harry, I always admire your positive attitude on here. You stick to your guns which is admirable. However ( there had to be a however! ), you have lowered expectation saying it doesn't matter how we get in the play offs, what about automatic! That's where we should be!!!! How do we get there now? We don't. So you lower expectation to the play offs. Well what do you see changing to get us the points we need when we have only won 1 in 10?

But a few weeks ago no-one was even considering or looking at the PO's, we were 2nd, looking comfortable, ever since we've been in freefall and lets be honest not deserved of any kind of promotion this season. From where we were a few weeks ago we should not be in this position, the players have let us down and they've let themselves down and i'd say it's an embaressment the monumental hash of it they are making at the moment, but if we were to not even make the playoffs well, I don't know how i'd describe it.

I think that's frustration though rather than an actual complaint at our league position. Ultimately it doesn't matter how we get into the POs only that we do get there.

And yes I blame the players, how people like Wood can drop their performances that much is staggering. Hard to blame the manager for that.

Whilst I agree that the players have to take some blame I'm afraid the manager does have to take responsibility for that. He is ultimately responsible for the performance of the team. He is paid what he is paid to get the team winning and to be accountable when they are not. That's the job of a manager, in football and in regular life.

I've been to 8 Sunderland games this season and honestly it has been ****ing dire everytime. He won't leave his 4411 and once they go down they never look like getting back into the game.

His signings have been absolutely terrible too, Danny Graham has shown nothing to justify £5m, and as for Adam Johnson for £15m- Dyer has had a better season than he is and would have made more of an influence than him in the Sunderland team. N'diaye looks awful and he currently plays with 2 centre miss at full back. They had 3 strikers on the books in January and then he sent Wickham on loan. Eventually brought him back as he realised two strikers in the squad would do nothing.

I never got to see O'Neill at Leicester. I'd loved to have seen the success he brought us but based on what I've seen at Sunderland this season and last, I can't see it. This could just be a blip mind you as he has been great everywhere else and if we had the start now that he had at the start of his time at the stadium of light, we'll be playing premier league football next season.

Very good assessment.

Isn't the first part one of the key problems the fans have with Pearson?

But a few weeks ago no-one was even considering or looking at the PO's, we were 2nd, looking comfortable, ever since we've been in freefall and lets be honest not deserved of any kind of promotion this season. From where we were a few weeks ago we should not be in this position, the players have let us down and they've let themselves down and i'd say it's an embaressment the monumental hash of it they are making at the moment, but if we were to not even make the playoffs well, I don't know how i'd describe it.

Harry, I always admire your positive attitude on here. You stick to your guns which is admirable. However ( there had to be a however! ), you have lowered expectation saying it doesn't matter how we get in the play offs, what about automatic! That's where we should be!!!! How do we get there now? We don't. So you lower expectation to the play offs. Well what do you see changing to get us the points we need when we have only won 1 in 10?

Yeah I have to admit that you're right, my expectations have come down. However (there has to be a however ;)) they also went up too and it's worth remembering that.

For me and most supporters, at the start of the season the POs were good enough, then I wanted automatic, and now I'm satisfied with POs again. It's frustrating but if we get into the top six then we will have achieved what the fans wanted at the start of the season. If we don't make the POs I can't really defend this kind of free-fall - that would be unacceptable.

Whilst I agree that the players have to take some blame I'm afraid the manager does have to take responsibility for that. He is ultimately responsible for the performance of the team. He is paid what he is paid to get the team winning and to be accountable when they are not. That's the job of a manager, in football and in regular life.

Bit of both really. I always believe the players are more responsible for their own performances. They go out there and kick the ball about, it's their ability as footballers that has the biggest impact on the result.

I'm loving this, all those Pearson fans who lambasted anyone who dared to criticise him saying "you're not real fans" that have now discarded him without a thought as there is a possibility O'Neill could return.

One word........ Hypocrites.

Get behind your manager and your team like you told us all to, by the way we already did even though we challenge Pearson's tactics and decisions.

Well if they could tempt him back, after the Barnsley game, the uplift in spirit amongst the fans might just be what we need to get us over the line.

At the moment there is alot of apathy around the stadium, because so many fans have already given up with Pearson.

As someone said earlier, the return of O`Neil might just have the same effect for us, that the return of Billy Davies has for F****t.

Bit of both really. I always believe the players are more responsible for their own performances. They go out there and kick the ball about, it's their ability as footballers that has the biggest impact on the result.

That just isn't how management works. Fairly or unfairly it is the job of the manager to get a team performing and if they don't he gets the push. If my staff don't perform there isn't a chance my directors will accept me telling them it's the fault of my staff. Everybody is responsible for their own actions but a manager is there to be accountable when it goes wrong. I would disagree that at this level the single biggest factor is footballing ability. They're all much of a muchness in this league. The difference is the bloke in charge. Again, that's the same in football and in real life.

I want him but it would be a massive risk. He would want to spend and then if we don't go up next season we are in massive trouble, we have been incredibly lucky to get Pearson in and get the young squad he's got with out spending loads and reducing the wage bill. We would not get that again if we don't go up if we task he risk with Martin

I'm a massive Pearson fan and would like to see him stay. But if O'neill was to come back then it kinda puts a different spin on it for me.

But can we grab the glory days back???

I have concerns about managers re visiting there past clubs and it very rarely works out for the better due to expectations. Pearson then Pearson now for example.

With O'Neill we know he would do well for us but well is where we are now. So is that then a stagnant move. But I would swap Pearson for O Neill.

If Pearson goes. We need completely new manager with new hunger.

My opinions.

Ferguson at Peterborough their have been many examples of managers going back some successful some not.

But it wouldn't be a gamble with MON imo he would galvanize this club cannot think of a better manager that could do this!

O'Neil and Robertson have always struck me like Clough and Taylor. One can't really do without the other.

That's a great point Col. MON is the man with the legendary reputation but JR more than played his part in the success. He hasn't been anywhere near as effective without his old mate with him.

Archived