Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Martin O'Neill?

For all those saying how badly he did at Sunderland (and it doesn't look great on the face of it, to be fair) it's worth knowing that he is the second most successful manager Sunderland have had in the Premier League era based on win percentage. He is behind only Peter Reid who did an excellent job there.

So it would be quite impossible for a manager like err Billy Davies to take over a team who had won just one game in seven and take them on a run of seven wins on the bounce with virtually the same players...... :dunno:

Glad we cleared that up..... :thumbup:

No.

I never said that the manager has no effect, I said the players are the biggest factor - which they are.

Glad we cleared that up..... :thumbup:

People who say O'Neill and Leicester are a perfect fit are spouting rubbish. I bet there's about 3 people maximum still at the club from the last time he was here (backroom/board etc). It wouldn't be the solution for me.

Alan Birchenall, Andrew Neille of the top of my head I am sure there are a couple more people

And also please do not compare it to Billy Davies. 18 months and 13 years is a big difference.

How about Dalglish 20 years later.

Time is irrelevant it is hardly as if MON hasn't been managing a club in the past decade he has, so their is no problems there.

I don't think he'll come back. MON has had a great career as a player and a manager and getting sacked has to be the low point in his football career. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes some time out, at least until the season is over, then looks at his options. Also for City the way forward will be clearer then. If we don't make the playoffs the owners will be looking hard at the manager. They have a lot of money invested and will want to see the sort of returns you can only get in the Premier league. A manager with the reputation of MON is bound to interest them.

People who say O'Neill and Leicester are a perfect fit are spouting rubbish. I bet there's about 3 people maximum still at the club from the last time he was here (backroom/board etc). It wouldn't be the solution for me.

I believe Conrad Logan is still sat on the bench!

If O'Neill came (he absolutely will not by the way) then I honestly think the fans who want Pearson out wouldn't mind if we didn't get promoted. If we finish 10th with him in charge there'd be no ill feelings whatsoever.

that's where your wrong . i for one would not want him back even though i want that other **** out, whats the point of sacking him know

As much as I'm not a Pearson fan boy, I see no relevant point in disposing of his services with 7 games left. If anything do it at the end of the season and give a new man time to assess his squad and formulate tactics. We should have pulled the trigger on this a while back if we wanted to take that route.

On the face of it, people grade Managers by success but they are only as good as the other staff they have around them. For me, Pearson lacks a tactical bod to help him out. He's surrounded himself with some decent staff otherwise, in an ideal world, he needs someone that understands the chess-esque like side to a football match a bit more.

If MON returns, he'll only have the same issue, if not more. People harp on about MON having experience in this league. Well, that was years ago, the league has changed, the standard has improved. Leicester were akin to today's Stoke City and before than. Wimbeldon. We played effective, direct football, with in many ways a team of players that had a never say due attitude. We had a core of players like that at the club when MON arrived. He wouldn't have that mentality now. People talk about his success at Celtic like it was a magnificent achievement. If he hasn't finished 1st / 2nd in a Cup or League. He'd have been sacked!

He doesn't know the league now, at least Pearson does.

He doesn't know the players and all the intricacies that are involved with them, I'd like to think Pearson does but sometimes I ponder this.

He doesn't know club structure, policies or even his way around the KP stadium! Pearson does.

MON is a Leicester Legend, however I don't see him as a brilliant Manager or the answer to our problems. I'm not saying that Pearson is the man to take us forward but he is the man to see us out until the end of this season.

Archived