Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Barnsley Post Match

What a shambles. Struggling to make the play offs in a league that is bereft of one decent team. I went to the Peterborough v Cardiff game on Saturday. Cardiff are an average side and yet they are heading towards the premiership. Pearson is to blame - how may of his signings have been a success? Vardy - sorry, but a waste of money on a non-league striker. Marshall - can't take a corner or beat a defender. James and Drinkwater - just because they used to play for Man Utd (so did Wellens!) doesn't make them great players. De Laet can't defend (but he used to play for Man Utd so that's ok then). Why are Gallagher and Wellens still at the club?

I think I should preface any comments made on this particular post by reminding people what a disaster this was.

But look at the individuals singled out!

I'm off to Barnsley in a couple of weeks. Probably because I wasn't unfortunate enough to be at this one.

As I said back then I couldn't believe people were saying it was worse than Derby and Huddersfield, it didn't seem possible!

I actually like reading threads like this, they're so funny in hindsight. How things have turned around for us.

I quite like these threads being bumped its quite nice to be reminded of who truly knows jack shit about the game. 

I was there that day and whilst it wasn't pretty it was quite clear to see the players really weren't ready this time last year. The overhaul of the squad was massive, many players in their first full seasons and the dregs of Sven's overpaid army still lingering in the cupboards of Belvoir Drive. We were never quite going to have enough to complete the job. 

Best thing the Thais have done is stick by NP after this one.

I have said from day one, that Pearson was not fit to manage our club, and taken the flack for it. Time for some of you to admit that I and others were right all along.

No one would be more pleased than myself to have been proved wrong, but it was never going to happen. I want us back in the Premiership.

He must be sacked now, as he has no idea what he is doing, and clueless as to what what he should be doing. I think he has lost his players confidence in him. Those players should have been doing better than they have, and must carry much of the blame. The bottom line though, that it is the manager who has the overall responsibility ,and Pearson has to carry the can for this, and rightly so.

Sorry you Pearson lovers, but I suspect your hero will be getting the big boot.

:pearson: :pearson: :pearson:

Most City promotion-winning managers have needed 2 seasons or less to prove their capabilities at 2nd-tier level. MON only needed 1 (with a team which was largely inherited from previous managers) as did Micky Adams.

Pearson's had the last four seasons (3 with us, 1 with Hull). What makes you think he'd be any more successful next time?

Not that he'll get that opportunity. Today has been a tipping-point which has pushed him past the point of no return.

Yet another fantastic statement from our resident footballing expert, well done sir. 

Yet another fantastic statement from our resident footballing expert, well done sir. 

lol

We get one of these in every thread on every sport from years ago.

Doesn't top his "We won't get a gold at London 2012" or "Andy Murray is too British to win Wimbledon" but it's not a bad effort here.

He's the forum Pele when it comes to predictions.

Leicester City â€@OfficialFOXES3m

Three changes for #LCFC at Barnsley: Schmeichel; De Laet, Keane, Whitbread, Konchesky; Knockaert, James, King, Dyer; Wood, Nugent.

lLeicester City â€@OfficialFOXES3m

#LCFC subs: Marshall, Vardy, Logan, Schlupp, Wellens, Moore, Kane. Live coverage at http://www.lcfc.com

Not much different from now? :dunno:

That was an absolute disgrace.

From the off they were all over us and we lost not because we have the worse players but because they showed more effort, more commitment, more application. And to lose on that front is scandalous. The worst I've seen us play in a very long time and when you consider what we've shown ourselves capable of earlier this season it makes that defeat all the worse.

That back four was a shambles. Konchesky has deteriorated so much this season it's unreal yet he seems to escape any criticism, with people singing his name regardless of what he shows on the pitch for some bizarre reason. If he wasn't being out-paced he was mindlessly and aimlessly smashing balls forward. And when he wasn't clumsily bringing people down he was all over the shop positionally. Awful.

Whitbread. What a clumsy, bumbling, lazy bufoon. Clearly couldn't give a crap about playing for this club and what a horrendous signing he has been from the off. Injuries, red cards and awful performances. He did not have a clue where he was today and I think Keane (normally classy and composed) really suffered for having this fool alongside him in place of Morgan who has been a rock. And to think that I thought he was a ball playing centre half when we got him...

In the midfield they played round us in the middle of the park like it was a training exercise. King and James were nowhere to be seen. Dyer was Dyer, hot and cold. Knockaert and Marshall were both ineffectual (the stick Marshall got as he sauntered over to take that corner as if he were still in Portugal was more than justified, never mind the fact that not one of his deliveries beat the first man - if it's not working ****ing mix it up a bit).

Up front Wood and Nugent did nothing. There was one point where one of their defenders brought it out of the back four and Nugent started to pressure him, the defender opened his legs up a bit and Nugent just gave up chase as if it were no longer his problem that his man had taken the ball into the next third. It summed the attitude up and defending from the front was non-existant. Alongside Moore, Schlupp, the only other player to come out with any credit, showed how it was done when he came on, getting his reward with a couple of chances. If it's not going for you (as it isn't for Wood and Nugent) then work hard and make something happen.

But the whole ethic of the team just stank. Players weren't bothered about picking up their men, pressure was half-hearted and no-one was prepared to step up to the plate by taking the ball and making something happen. They literally couldn't care less and I think the only thing that bothered them about the whole thing was the inconvenience of having to walk past the away end on their way back to the dressing room.

I'm a big Pearson fan, what he's done in twelve months has been huge and we saw what we were capable of pre-February. But that performance today is one that has switched me to the thought that he has to go. That was not the performance of a team that is going to suddenly start getting results for their current manager. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's beyond repair for Pearson now so rather than inevitably sacking him at the end of the season let's just do it now and see if a new manager can stop this rot whilst there's half a chance of some salvation.

Thanks for laying what I believe are very promising foundations Nigel but it's time to depart.

Whoops!

lol

That was an absolute disgrace.

From the off they were all over us and we lost not because we have the worse players but because they showed more effort, more commitment, more application. And to lose on that front is scandalous. The worst I've seen us play in a very long time and when you consider what we've shown ourselves capable of earlier this season it makes that defeat all the worse.

That back four was a shambles. Konchesky has deteriorated so much this season it's unreal yet he seems to escape any criticism, with people singing his name regardless of what he shows on the pitch for some bizarre reason. If he wasn't being out-paced he was mindlessly and aimlessly smashing balls forward. And when he wasn't clumsily bringing people down he was all over the shop positionally. Awful.

Whitbread. What a clumsy, bumbling, lazy bufoon. Clearly couldn't give a crap about playing for this club and what a horrendous signing he has been from the off. Injuries, red cards and awful performances. He did not have a clue where he was today and I think Keane (normally classy and composed) really suffered for having this fool alongside him in place of Morgan who has been a rock. And to think that I thought he was a ball playing centre half when we got him...

In the midfield they played round us in the middle of the park like it was a training exercise. King and James were nowhere to be seen. Dyer was Dyer, hot and cold. Knockaert and Marshall were both ineffectual (the stick Marshall got as he sauntered over to take that corner as if he were still in Portugal was more than justified, never mind the fact that not one of his deliveries beat the first man - if it's not working ****ing mix it up a bit).

Up front Wood and Nugent did nothing. There was one point where one of their defenders brought it out of the back four and Nugent started to pressure him, the defender opened his legs up a bit and Nugent just gave up chase as if it were no longer his problem that his man had taken the ball into the next third. It summed the attitude up and defending from the front was non-existant. Alongside Moore, Schlupp, the only other player to come out with any credit, showed how it was done when he came on, getting his reward with a couple of chances. If it's not going for you (as it isn't for Wood and Nugent) then work hard and make something happen.

But the whole ethic of the team just stank. Players weren't bothered about picking up their men, pressure was half-hearted and no-one was prepared to step up to the plate by taking the ball and making something happen. They literally couldn't care less and I think the only thing that bothered them about the whole thing was the inconvenience of having to walk past the away end on their way back to the dressing room.

I'm a big Pearson fan, what he's done in twelve months has been huge and we saw what we were capable of pre-February. But that performance today is one that has switched me to the thought that he has to go. That was not the performance of a team that is going to suddenly start getting results for their current manager. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's beyond repair for Pearson now so rather than inevitably sacking him at the end of the season let's just do it now and see if a new manager can stop this rot whilst there's half a chance of some salvation.

Thanks for laying what I believe are very promising foundations Nigel but it's time to depart.

Whoops!

lol

I don't think it's too bad!

I still stand by the fact that that was the worst performance I've seen from a Leicester City side and I just couldn't see how Pearson could recover from that, let alone that the owners would stick with him. And I don't think many, if any, people did. Even Pearson himself at that point sounded resigned to the fact that it may be over.

But look at some of the points I made...

Dyer hot and cold - he still is

Defending from the front non-existant - Vardy this year has made that very much a thing of the past

Pressure half-hearted - we press with a lot more intensity all over the pitch this season

No-one was prepared to take the ball and make something happen - Drinkwater is the man in this team that does that (even if at times in the past he hasn't been able to be effective in doing so) and he was out of the team at that point

I'm a fan of Pearson and the foundations were promising - Unfortunately I just couldn't see how Pearson was going to be given a chance to stay and build in the summer had we not made the play-offs so, if we were going to sack him, I would have backed getting rid after that game (even though I didn't back getting rid of Pearson) and giving a new manager the chance to try and lift us for the remaining games. I'm very glad now that that didn't happen and that things have turned around as they have! :P

I really don't think anyone who went to that game can be too harshly criticised even now for what was said then. We truly were an absolute disgrace and literally lucky to only lose by 2 to a side that looked to be heading down.

I've never once called for Pearson to go, but I was struggling to defend him on that day and I don't regret that. We were on a whole new level of shit. I actually think we played better in the 6-1 at Portsmouth.

I just hope we piss all over these in a fortnight. My first two trips to Barnsley were amazing, truly memorable days - but it's gone gradually downhill ever since then and it's time to have another memorable day here, it's just a shame it's on a Tuesday night (like all big away ends seemingly)

Its good to remember these moments when things are going well.  You enjoy the better moments so much more when you have had to endure beforehand.  I.e. in many ways the league 1 relegation will make promotion even sweeter when we eventually do achieve it (be it this year or even in a few years assuming we dont go up).

One of the worst games I've ever attended, and Barnsley weren't exactly a great side. We should have lost by more than two goals, I recall them hitting the bar twice and even having two disallowed goals.

Missed a penalty too. I'm glad they did as well. I wouldn't have begrudged them a 6-0 win that day and how pathetic would that look?

Archived