Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
peach0000

Beckford to Bolton

Wage caps would be illegal and rightly so. Nobody should have the right to tell someone how much they are allowed to earn.

The only way you can enforce a wage cap is by capping the overall wage bill like the egg chasers do. It's too far down the line to enforce anything like this in football imo

The only way you can enforce a wage cap is by capping the overall wage bill like the egg chasers do. It's too far down the line to enforce anything like this in football imo

In reality that's only a gentleman's agreement. If one of the rugby clubs went to court it couldn't be enforced.

Too right, Neville should have left the club 5 minutes after Sven was shown the door.

Sorry, but again I really do not understand why Neville is definitely the Villain of the piece. Out of all three groups involved, Sven, the owners, and himself, he's the one who could very well have been piggy in the middle. If they say get Sven what he wants, and Sven picks him it's his job to get the bloke.

We fecked about so much that summer that we were left needing striker with hours left to go in the window, to get him in we had little room to bargain, or choose anyone else. We were always going to get held to ransom.

How about if each club was given a figure say 25 million a year and no club could go over this amount. If you want 20 players on 25 grand a week you could do that or you could have one big player on 50 grand a couple on 30 odd and some on 10 but every club has the same wage bill

Guest MattP

Sorry, but again I really do not understand why Neville is definitely the Villain of the piece. Out of all three groups involved, Sven, the owners, and himself, he's the one who could very well have been piggy in the middle. If they say get Sven what he wants, and Sven picks him it's his job to get the bloke.

We fecked about so much that summer that we were left needing striker with hours left to go in the window, to get him in we had little room to bargain, or choose anyone else. We were always going to get held to ransom.

From the opinion I have formed from the facts I have they are both villians.

They both oversaw ridiculous contracts being handed out.

If he blindly went along with Sven and what he wanted he's an idiot, if he didn't and still signed them off he's just as incompetent as far as I;m concerned.

They should both be in Leicester Town Centre along with Top, three sets of stocks and a big box of rotten tomatoes next to them.

I wonder how many of those on here who would take a massive cut in salary to play football have a mortgage and family.

It is a short career and the money you earn may well have to support you and your family for the next 60 years, not many footballers have a trade to fall back on.

I don't like my current job but would need to take a cut of around 12% to get another, I probably have 12 months left in this role and I certainly won't be leaving voluntarily.

I don't buy this argument when a player earns more than my annual salary in a week, why shouldn't they have to get another job when try retire? Everyone else in the world does! If thy have nothing to fall back on that's there own fault many players do Uni degrees whilst playing if you chose not too that's your choice.

Wage caps would be illegal and rightly so. Nobody should have the right to tell someone how much they are allowed to earn.

Wage caps aren't illegal. All public sector wages are restricted by the band the employee is in.

If the wages are directly affecting the performance of the business, then I think you should be able to cap wages.

Did they? Name 5 players that moved on for less wages for 1st team football that were/are of Beckfords age? Would you do the same job for less money at a rival company just because you were surplus to requirements? Of course you wouldn't, only a fool would move elsewhere for a lot less cash.

This comparison so many make between normal people in their work and footballers is so pitifully wide of the mark it's hardly worth taking notice. The pay most normal people are on would make a difference to their lives - most footballers, it wouldn't at all.

Wage caps aren't illegal. All public sector wages are restricted by the band the employee is in.

If the wages are directly affecting the performance of the business, then I think you should be able to cap wages.

That wage cap comes from the employer, that is their policy. If you were to say no footballer no matter who he is and who he works for is not allowed to earn more than x amount of money then that is a different matter.

Wage cap. Prem 15k, champ 10k, league 1 5k, league 2 2k. If they don't like it they can get another job, but over a 14 year career if players are sensible they will be well off after they retire.

I'd introduce a wage cap for the Premier League even if it did mean we lose 'stars' (I use the term lightly, if we lose the mercenaries it can only be a good thing).

They'd never ever do it though. It'd jeopardise $ky's business plan.

That wage cap comes from the employer, that is their policy. If you were to say no footballer no matter who he is and who he works for is not allowed to earn more than x amount of money then that is a different matter.

Teachers, nurses, police Officers, firemen, soldiers all have a salary cap why can't footballers?

From the opinion I have formed from the facts I have they are both villians.

They both oversaw ridiculous contracts being handed out.

If he blindly went along with Sven and what he wanted he's an idiot, if he didn't and still signed them off he's just as incompetent as far as I;m concerned.

They should both be in Leicester Town Centre along with Top, three sets of stocks and a big box of rotten tomatoes next to them.

And if the owners told him to spend whatever was needed?

Nobody really knows the details and what the instructions were. All we do know is Sven picked substandard players and was either not interested in what they cost, didn't care, or was told to keep his nose out (unlikely). We also know the owners would have to sign off the spend, because lets face it had they not AN would not be in a job.

The way I see it, Neville was handling finances and our transfer deals despite having little experience & Sven produced a list of names and told him to get on with it. Neville has made mistakes but he's in the wrong job IMO, he was always going to. Sven's the main fault for me.

Guest MattP

And if the owners told him to spend whatever was needed?

Nobody really knows the details and what the instructions were. All we do know is Sven picked substandard players and was either not interested in what they cost, didn't care, or was told to keep his nose out (unlikely). We also know the owners would have to sign off the spend, because lets face it had they not AN would not be in a job.

Fair points Babs, if that was the case I can't argue it.

Dan might be right when he says he's in the wrong job.

The way I see it, Neville was handling finances and our transfer deals despite having little experience & Sven produced a list of names and told him to get on with it. Neville has made mistakes but he's in the wrong job IMO, he was always going to. Sven's the main fault for me.

Surely it is the owners fault for appointing both Sven and Andrew Neville neither had the relevant experience at championship level.

Teachers, nurses, police Officers, firemen, soldiers all have a salary cap why can't footballers?

They have a cap imposed by their employer. If an NHS nurse went to work for Bupa then Bupa could pay her what they liked so it's not a wage cap in the sense of the one suggested for football clubs.

Surely it is the owners fault for appointing both Sven and Andrew Neville neither had the relevant experience at championship level.

They're definitely at some fault although theirs is more understandable. I'm not defending it but it was easy to buy into the Sven hype, I'll openly admit I did and I've since learnt a lesson, I just hope the owners have too.

I don't buy this argument when a player earns more than my annual salary in a week, why shouldn't they have to get another job when try retire? Everyone else in the world does! If thy have nothing to fall back on that's there own fault many players do Uni degrees whilst playing if you chose not too that's your choice.

I wasn't saying they shouldn't get a job, it's more the case that most won't be capable, most left school as soon as they possibly could and have no qualifications. Mass unemployment across most of the world means that those entering the job market at 30 with no qualifications or experience have very little chance of getting any job let alone a decent one.

The idea that someone should take a paycut of between 50-75% just to play first team fotball and to help out the club that put them on that salary is not realistic.

So in other words you're assuming every footballer is incapable of working after they've retired? lol

What about coaching? That'd still be a very decent job and one they're capable of if they applied themselves, most of them anyway.

They have a cap imposed by their employer. If an NHS nurse went to work for Bupa then Bupa could pay her what they liked so it's not a wage cap in the sense of the one suggested for football clubs.

I think that is why when the FFP rules are tested in the European Court they will be found to be a restriction on trade.If someone wants to invest in an company that is loss making in the hpoe that it will become profitable that should be allowed just as our owners hope to get to the prem to in order to make big money.I think I smell another Bosman situation

I wonder how many of those on here who would take a massive cut in salary to play football have a mortgage and family.

It is a short career and the money you earn may well have to support you and your family for the next 60 years, not many footballers have a trade to fall back on.

I don't like my current job but would need to take a cut of around 12% to get another, I probably have 12 months left in this role and I certainly won't be leaving voluntarily.

Why don't players live a more conservative life then? Do they need massive houses, expensive cars etc, or could they be a bit more refined and have plenty saved up for when their career ends?

Why don't players live a more conservative life then? Do they need massive houses, expensive cars etc, or could they be a bit more refined and have plenty saved up for when their career ends?

Some do, some don't. Just because someone is a footballer it doesn't give us the right to tell them how to live their life.

How about if each club was given a figure say 25 million a year and no club could go over this amount. If you want 20 players on 25 grand a week you could do that or you could have one big player on 50 grand a couple on 30 odd and some on 10 but every club has the same wage bill

That's the way it works in American football (gridiron).  Capping a player's salary is illegal, but Congress allows an overall salary cap for every team because they recognise that sports is not a normal business (has to be an even competition).  However, in the EU's eyes, sports is treated as a regular business. 

So in other words you're assuming every footballer is incapable of working after they've retired? lol

What about coaching? That'd still be a very decent job and one they're capable of if they applied themselves, most of them anyway.

Think about the numbers Dan.

How many coaches are there at a club?

If they leave football, which the vast majority will, then there is very little in the way of jobs for them to fall back on at the age of 30+.

If clubs had stood up to players salary demands years ago we wouldn't be in this mess.

Archived