Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
peach0000

Beckford to Bolton

This is such a load of shit. It's like people believe Sven was handed his success on a silver platter.

He built his reputation in Sweden and Portugal, winning trophies on not only a domestic but a continental scale.

He was disappointing with England and Ivory Coast (albeit not a complete disaster), adored by the Man City fans and brought us a few months of great football at City, followed by some really turgid stuff that still had us pushing the play-offs with a team of strangers.

The Thais didn't have the nuts to see through the investment they'd made the previous summer and panicked/saved the club depending on your viewpoint. But either way, Fernandes aside, we were lumbered with the mega wages Sven had brought in until the end of the season.

Gelling a side takes time. After 13 games of 2011/2, Sven had us 2 points off the play-offs. After 13 games of 2012/3, Watford sat 16th, 6 points off the play-offs with a not dissimilar set of circumstances. They finished 3rd, losing out on the final day.

Us in 2011/2 and Watford on 2012/3 each had a load of new players coming in with decent reps, many of whom were clearly at the top end of the division in terms of quality. But pulling a side together takes time.

I'm no apologist for Sven's spending. Regardless of who sanctioned the transfers and wages of Mills and Beckford, along with the salaries of Danns, Gallagher and Wellens, calling Sven a conman is at best disingenuous and at worst slander.

Very good, my sentiments exactly.

had fitness tests and medical examinations today at Leicester, disagreement about medical conditions? bolton medical? move off? make of it what you will, sadly I know nothing more on the situation.

It seems Bolton are doing everything they can to drive down the price - I bet there's **** all wrong with him. I know we're desperate to offload his wages but surely at some point we should tell Bolton to stop wasting our time and feck off.

how much is the next payment we have to make if he plays another game?

In the last published financial statements the contingent liabilities for terms in playing contracts was £8.5m. Obviously, being 2012 accounts, a fair whack of that probably would have been for Mills. No idea how much would be for Beckford but it gives you an idea that it's probably not a small amount.

While some at our club are clearly contingent liabilities, it really surprises me it refers to them as such in the financial statement! :-p

ps - What exactly do you mean by contingent liabilities? :thumbup:

You have to disclose contingent liabilities in your statements if there is a possible chance of a future obligation to pay. For example it is possible that Beckford would have reached 50 games for us in the next financial year, in which case we'd have to pay £x to Everton.

@FoxLCFC (Toffee Fox): Sounds like Beckford has reached an agreement with the club regarding his loyalty bonus and should now sign for Bolton #lcfc #bwfc

Fingers crossed. But frankly this drama seems interminable

This is such a load of shit. It's like people believe Sven was handed his success on a silver platter.

He built his reputation in Sweden and Portugal, winning trophies on not only a domestic but a continental scale.

He was disappointing with England and Ivory Coast (albeit not a complete disaster), adored by the Man City fans and brought us a few months of great football at City, followed by some really turgid stuff that still had us pushing the play-offs with a team of strangers.

The Thais didn't have the nuts to see through the investment they'd made the previous summer and panicked/saved the club depending on your viewpoint. But either way, Fernandes aside, we were lumbered with the mega wages Sven had brought in until the end of the season.

Gelling a side takes time. After 13 games of 2011/2, Sven had us 2 points off the play-offs. After 13 games of 2012/3, Watford sat 16th, 6 points off the play-offs with a not dissimilar set of circumstances. They finished 3rd, losing out on the final day.

Us in 2011/2 and Watford on 2012/3 each had a load of new players coming in with decent reps, many of whom were clearly at the top end of the division in terms of quality. But pulling a side together takes time.

I'm no apologist for Sven's spending. Regardless of who sanctioned the transfers and wages of Mills and Beckford, along with the salaries of Danns, Gallagher and Wellens, calling Sven a conman is at best disingenuous and at worst slander.

He's done it in the past, fair play, he used to be good - but honestly since England, what the hell has he done? He's literally lived off the fact he's got a nice big contact book, and clubs continue to buy into it.

Even if he was capable, he didn't seem one bit arsed. Can people genuinely try and convince me that Sven was here for anything other than money?

The bloke was past-it years ago and we fell into the trap. He's lived off his name for literally about 12 years now.

He's done it in the past, fair play, he used to be good - but honestly since England, what the hell has he done? He's literally lived off the fact he's got a nice big contact book, and clubs continue to buy into it.

Even if he was capable, he didn't seem one bit arsed. Can people genuinely try and convince me that Sven was here for anything other than money?

The bloke was past-it years ago and we fell into the trap. He's lived off his name for literally about 12 years now.

Spot on, the signings of Ball and Johnson summed the bloke up... Any decent manager would have known what was required and more importantly were we needed to strengthen,he gave it no thought at all and just went down the Ex Man city player route,one position we desperately needed strengthening was out wide,yet he signed more centre mids,did we have something like 7 centre mids at that time?

Guest ttfn

Was wondering when you'd reply!

Fair play, I can't really argue with any of that.

For what it's worth I enjoyed having Sven as our manager and I think he was building a decent side. There is no doubt he's left us with a legacy of overpaid players but what I took objection to was "conman". He's not. He seems to be a very decent bloke who has taken advantage of his hard-earned reputation to land jobs with weslthy backers.

In fact like a lot of those who chase the money he ended up being conned himself at Notts County.

Archived