Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Konchesky on his way out?

Fvcking hell chief, no player is worth paying stupid amounts of wages on

Thanks Konchesky great first season, good luck wherever you go (unless you go to F@@@st)

errr... what?

he is currently on much more than 12-15k a week and i'm saying if he was on much less i'd want to keep him...

Did you just not understand my post or was your reply a bid mixed up?

Had a great career, played for England as well as some big clubs and scored in an FA Cup final. One of Sven's better signings, a good professional. Sadly though, he's coming to the end of his career and I doubt he has the legs and pace to play left wing back every game.

That said, I think he's more solid than playing Schlupp and especially Dver left wing back. Can't speak about Zoom having never seen him play, but I didn't like hearing people saying he isn't convincing defensively. 

Our full-backs aren't convincing defenders, which is partly why we are playing the 3-5-2. Leaves us less exposed if a CB can cover. Although I respect Konch's effort, his defensive ability and attacking liabilities mean that we cannot justify the money spent on a 32 yr old. Good move all round.

is there actually anything in this? or is this just usual tripe? nothing SSN or BBC.

It's in The Times, which i'd suggest is just as reputable as the two sources you've mentioned.

PK has / still would be a solid left full back for us.

Unfortunately, with financial fair play kicking in this season, needs must and we have to balance the books whichever way possible.

He's a depreciating asset that we are still paying a lot of money to. I like PK, would like to keep him but if the opportunity comes along to offload assets that are bleeding the club, Nigel Pearson must be realistic. We have other options at LWB, albeit maybe inferior.

He is most likely going as we are unable to offload some of the other high earners.

Under FFP, every player has a price. You've got to balance the books or face the repercussions. I think we'd sell anyone to get to that magic number.

It just depends what that number is and how many more after PK we need to offload to get there.

Top bloke, always remember when he kissed the Leicester badge at forest away, then he stuck his fingers up at there A block

and the two times he stuck his fingers up to us.

Good solid pro. If his wages are as high as feared then sadly that'll always count against him.

We almost definitely need another left back/left wing back then. Bakayogo better be decent or we're fcuked.

We can't ever play Schlupp there and I wouldn't want to play Dyer there, his main asset is his pace that scares opposition defences, be wasted at wing back. Added to the fact he'd be knackered 20 minutes into every game.

Konch is one of the very few experienced members of the squad too, wouldn't be keen on letting him go without an older head coming in to sure things up if he were ever needed.

I'd say Schlupp has far more going for him as a wing back than as a left back; given he's a sound tackler with decent attacking attributes, but equally suffers from the occasional defensive slip-up and an at-times dodgy first touch. A 3-5-2 is frequently more effective, and less likely to lapse into a 5-3-2, with attacking wing backs. Look at Guppy - who was very defensively lax by his own admission - and Impey - who was an entirely attack-minded option. Under Little we also experimented with the system, playing Gary Mills as an unorthodox, attacking right wing back. So Dyer, Schlupp, Zoom and Marshall could all be decent options.

At 21, it surprises me to see that Schlupp is so resolutely dismissed by our fans. He's two years younger than Drinkwater, five younger than Vardy and one year younger than Marshall and Wood, all of which will also have to improve on their displays last season. Add to that the admiration for him from the likes of Ferguson or Chris Powell; and the string of very encouraging displays last year, and it's premature to overlook his potential because of a couple of lacklustre outings late on.

Especially when, just a few years back, such was our scarcity of promising youth that we'd buzz over the potential of clearly hopeless cases like Reeves, Stevenson, Canero and Wilson, or talk up players that could no longer convincingly be described as 'young' like Oakes, Williams, Hughes and Morris as if they were budding youngsters. It'd be a shame, therefore, when we do have a promising 'young' player on our books, to expect him to be the finished article right away.

I'm not saying, by the way, that the above is your personal view. But I've seen that sentiment come across in a few posts by various people.

He was abysmal as a left back though. As a striker in glimpses we've seen things that can be improved on to make him into a first teamer I agree. He really isn't a left back though. 

With a 3-5-2 I would think he'd be more exposed defensively as we'd have no winger as cover. Any opposing manager with half a brain cell would go "hello, a young striker at left wing back with no cover, we'll attack down the right today chaps". We'd be fúcked. 

Let's face it nobody has any idea about Bakayogo, he could be worse than McGivern, so at this present moment if we lose Konch we'd need a replacement for him. Obviously if we can get a reasonable, capable replacement on half the wages and even somehow get a fee off 'arry the disabled then we'd be laughing. 

He was abysmal as a left back though. As a striker in glimpses we've seen things that can be improved on to make him into a first teamer I agree. He really isn't a left back though. 

With a 3-5-2 I would think he'd be more exposed defensively as we'd have no winger as cover. Any opposing manager with half a brain cell would go "hello, a young striker at left wing back with no cover, we'll attack down the right today chaps". We'd be fúcked. 

Let's face it nobody has any idea about Bakayogo, he could be worse than McGivern, so at this present moment if we lose Konch we'd need a replacement for him. Obviously if we can get a reasonable, capable replacement on half the wages and even somehow get a fee off 'arry the disabled then we'd be laughing. 

'Abysmal' is harsh. And if a 3-5-2 is played well you can get away with the sort of scenario you describe, if the CMs and CBs know precisely whose job it is to come across. We weren't '****ed' too often by playing two extremely attack-minded wing backs with very few defensive attributes under O'Neill.

Schlupp had a very decent outing against Forest, a decent run of games and then a nightmare against, I think, Leeds. Then there were a couple of notably poor matches at left back at the end of the season, against a very dangerous opponent vs. Watford. However he also put in some very encouraging displays and was looking good on the flank of a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 before his injury in 2011-12. So 'abysmal' on one or two occasions in a wide position - yes, definitely - but at times he's also looked very promising out wide.

'Abysmal' is harsh. And if a 3-5-2 is played well you can get away with the sort of scenario you describe, if the CMs and CBs know precisely whose job it is to come across. We weren't '****ed' too often by playing two extremely attack-minded wing backs with very few defensive attributes under O'Neill.

Schlupp had a very decent outing against Forest, a decent run of games and then a nightmare against, I think, Leeds. Then there were a couple of notably poor matches at left back at the end of the season, against a very dangerous opponent vs. Watford. However he also put in some very encouraging displays and was looking good on the flank of a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 before his injury in 2011-12. So 'abysmal' on one or two occasions in a wide position - yes, definitely - but at times he's also looked very promising out wide.

He was abysmal against Watford (x3) at the end of the season. 

"Out wide" is very different to left wing back, though. Out wide he could be very good. He's got pace, he's got a shot on him, he's an attack minded player. But as a left wing back he'd need a lot of coaching. 

I can already see him diving into a challenge enthusiastically, missing it and then that's our whole left side for the opposition to waltz down. Just gonna be an issue if we have to use him there, I feel. 

errr... what?

he is currently on much more than 12-15k a week and i'm saying if he was on much less i'd want to keep him...

Did you just not understand my post or was your reply a bid mixed up?

Personal opinion fella

I personally think 12~15000 is too much to pay Konchesky even if that is a drop in wages

No offence meant compadre but that's my opinion

Archived