Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrentFox

Why did you start supporting Leicester City ?

First went down with my Godfather when I was 7.

Then really started to be a regular fan in the year Brian Little took over.

Why did I first go? Cos I loved football, played for the School, and the County a few times and City was my home team!

Before this, I followed Liverpool! And still see them as my 'second' team.

There is only one City couldn't support anyone else, but Liverpool are my second team too

It was the early 60's. the lad next door fancied my sister and thought he could get round her by taking 'little brother' to Filbert Street. I loved football but somehow hadn't managed to go to a real game. Riding through a winter evening on the back of Tony's Vespa..the floodlights, the crowd, the excitement! No idea who we played or the result but that was it! Been going ever since. My Hometown club, how could I support anyone else?

As a schoolboy growing up in the football league-free wilds of East Kent, I was initially a nominal Chelsea fan. I only ever got taken up to a couple of matches, though - to see the great team that Davie G mentions (early 70s not 60s, though - obviously not quite as much of a "senior" as Davie...though he's having a "senior moment" if he thinks Hudson was there in the early 60s).

As a teenager, I realised that Chelsea were an awful club and that I should support my home club....Folkestone Town, in my case. Inevitably, this led to a certain amount of disappointment, lit up by the golden years under the management of the late, great Alf Bentley (the real one), when "we" got promoted and reached the 1st Round of the FA Cup (glory, glory). Folkestone went bust in 90-91.

Had brief, uncommitted stints at Norwich, Charlton, Plymouth & Northampton, when living in those places (or in Cov for the Cobblers - couldn't identify with Cov, strangely), then moved to the Leicester area with my now missus, a local, 12 years ago.

Initially, just went to the odd LCFC game (2002-07)....and mostly ended up wondering why I'd wasted my money. The relegation girded my loins to get behind my adopted home city, so I've been a season ticket holder since 2008. 

Just because it was my local team. I thought it was the honourable thing to do and never gave a thought to supporting a 'glory' club despite a lot of my mates at the time doing so.

I don't regret it one bit, absolutely love City. I may have to endure the odd jibe about us not being any good but my integrity and pride as a supporter of my hometown remain intact. Wouldn't change following this club for any in the world

THIS........ Got the royal blue running through my veins. L.T.I.D

I used to see Jimmy Walsh and Frank McLintock in the old catholic church that used to be on King Richards Road and they told me I wouldn't go to heaven if I didn't support Leicester  City .

I think my dad might have put them up to it. 

My Dad isn't really interested and my Mum wasn't really following it when I was born. But once it became obvious that I was a football fan (was born a year or so before Euro 96 which probably influenced that) she pointed me in the right direction. Think an FNF game between Leicester and West Ham Reserves was my first game when I would have been about 5 or 6, think we won 4-2.

My Grandad took me from a young age. My Dad came over from Ireland when he was 18 and when he met my mum my Grandad started taking him to games but my Dad's not really a football man - think he just did it to get in the good books! Once I came along it was my Grandad who decided I was a City fan.

I can't even remember my first game (prob early 90's) but my Grandad was such a passionate City fan I had no choice!

We have had the thread before, a year or so ago.

I grew up supporting Liverpool but as I got close to being a teenager I just thought that Leicester boys should support Leicester, so I switched allegiances. My first game was against Villa in the League Cup in 81. Boring 0-0, the most interesting thing was Steve Lynex getting kicked in the teeth. We lost the replay

Apologies - didn't recall seeing it before. Either way, loving the responses and starting to get to know a bit of everyone's history.

Parents originally from Leicester. Took me when I was very young to go watch us at Filbert Street. Been hooked ever since. One of first games I can remember was the famous Sunderland at home 5-2 when Collymore bagged his home debut hat-trick. Only since I've been able to drive have I gone more and more, as the family don't tend to go as much now. It's me wanting to take them!

My Dad bestowed the curse upon me ;)

Me too. First game was (apparently) 1-0 to us down Filbo vs Pompey 1992/3 (I was 3) But season ticket holder for years & years at Filbo in every stand bar the Kop purely because I was too young really for it (11 when they tore it down) 

I didn't have a choice. It was Leicester or no one. Plus I was born in the Royal Infirmary.

Ah ha! Rafudy has got it in his Sig, I can't remember it though.

Same as most people really, it's my bloody Dad's fault. My Dad supports Leicester and my Mum supports Liverpool (my Uncle tried to get involved and he supports Everton, I was unlucky enough to end up supporting Leicester out of the three). I had Liverpool and Leicester kits as a kid up until about 9 or 10 and moved to Liverpool when I was about 6. I always wanted to support Leicester over Liverpool because blue was my favourite colour so I wore my Leicester kit more. I only used to go to games when it was Leicester vs Liverpool or Everton vs Leicester (that 3-2 at Goodison in our last PL season broke my heart). 

I visited my Dad in Leicester every two weeks and he decided it would be a good idea to make that weekend I visited coincide with City playing at home so we could go as Dad and lad and bond. Pretty decent idea. 

I was grown up to be a United fan originally, I probably sound like a mentalist when I say this. But you know that time when it comes in your life, when you feel like you can make a decision? I didn't want to be attached to a club, that I don't feel connected to. I've always had that connection with Leicester. Wasn't until 06ish I went to games, I think the height of my fandom was probably around the play-off season mark 1 with Pearson and has grown ever since. 

Archived