Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrentFox

Why did you start supporting Leicester City ?

Don't recall seeing this as a thread before, but I was just picking up on a lovely story CambridgeFox was telling about why he first started following the club based on a Panini sticker he collected. Made me wonder why we all have followed the club ? What first made you start this life-long affiliation? Suspect for many of us, it is where our LCFC supporting parent first took us and bought us off with a hot dog. I can remember my first game, under floodlights, like it was yesterday and even now I still get that "wow" feeling when I walk into the stadium for a night game. Was hooked from that moment.

My dad supported them and they're my local team, so I started going to games with him. I suppose it helped that I was fascinated by the match programs my dad had brought back, so I knew everything about the players by the time I was 6 years old.

My Mum's family is from Sileby. I'd been taken to watch Norwich (grew up in Norfolk) and Spurs (Dad was a fan), but the first time I walked out into the Double Decker and saw the green Filbo pitch glowing under the floodlights, as you say in the original post, I knew it was different.

Watched us lose in the play offs in Cardiff and felt truly miserable when Waghorn had his penalty turned away. Had to buy a ST then when I realised how much I cared, hadn't really felt it before then but the team's performance that night really inspired me to become a supporter.

Funny - my 8 year-old is just going down exactly the same path. Can read, but just not that into it. Discovered the programmes and now can't stop him reading stuff ! He must have read the programme from his first game 20 times and tells me info about players I didn't know!!

Just because it was my local team. I thought it was the honourable thing to do and never gave a thought to supporting a 'glory' club despite a lot of my mates at the time doing so.

I don't regret it one bit, absolutely love City. I may have to endure the odd jibe about us not being any good but my integrity and pride as a supporter of my hometown remain intact. Wouldn't change following this club for any in the world

I used to support United (terrible I know!)  :unsure:

I had been to Old Trafford before with my Dad and seen them get thrashed 4-1 by Liverpool. My uncle was a season ticket holder at Leicester, still is now and had been for a long time. He took me to the odd few games, my 1st 2 being very boring 0-0 draws against Colchester and Southampton (I think). All of my mums side of the family lived in Leicester and they all supported them. I was taken to even more matches by my uncle, I started to learn the players names and the chants. I then realised being a Leicester fan made much more sense, and I could go to watch them live so many more times with my family. I then got taken to about 15 games in the play-off season and that just got me totally hooked. I just grown to love Leicester and this is my 3rd season in a row as a season ticket holder!.

LTID!!  :scarf:

Well i live in Chesterfield (lot of sheep & Trees) but my dad is from Blaby. There never really seemed like an option i was brought up Listening on the radio to every match with my dad and going to the odd away game (Sheffield clubs/Derby and a few home matches) Now i have a 1 year old son and i'm hoping he follows suit as his other side of the family aren't in to football and I've already bought him last years kit and this years. 

My family are all egg chasers and I can't stand the sport, so when a relative that was a City supporter rang up and said I'm on my way to the hawthornes and have a spare ticket, we can take a detour and pick you up, I jumped at the chance as a 9 year old.

Even a 1-1 draw and the crap toilets with no roof, couldn't put me off, Loved the fact it was terracing and was hooked from that moment, I felt so grown up to be on the terrace, with all the old boys at an away day.

Started going Filbert St at every chance form then on, if my relative wasn't up from london, I used to tag along with mates, neighbours, whoever I could find to give me a lift.

Got a season ticket a few years later and that was it. Can't let it go, however hard I try, I still love away days to this day, London, Plymouth, Southend wherever it maybe the journey is part of the adventure.

That and I hate the thought of missing a big game or moment. Even if it sometimes turns out like Cardiff and Watford, I just have to be there.

Only used to play football and not really watch too much until I was about 13/14. But then I finished playing and my mate at school said come down to a Leicester game. So I went along with him and his Grandad and I haven't looked back since, sat in the same seat as my first games for about 5 years now. Crazy how quickly you get sucked in. A lot of fun living in between Nottingham and Derby being a Leicester fan :D

First went down with my Godfather when I was 7.

Then really started to be a regular fan in the year Brian Little took over.

Why did I first go? Cos I loved football, played for the School, and the County a few times and City was my home team!

Before this, I followed Liverpool! And still see them as my 'second' team.

The first football matches I watched were all Kettering Town; I come from Desborough originally. I must have been quite young back then as I remember watching those early matches at Rockingham Road from my cousins shoulders. I was 11 or 12 when the same cousin first took me to Filbert Street; I don't remember what the game was but I do remember sitting at the top of the Carling Stand and being completely overwhelmed - it was ****ing high (or at least it felt like that to a youngster who was used to the terraces of K-town). As I got a little older the wow factor of the Carling stand was replaced with the atmosphere of the double-decker. I used to get a bus to Harborough and then catch the train over to Leicester (sometimes with my cousin, sometimes with a mate and occasionally on my own). For a long while I supported both teams in parallel (as there was never really a conflict of interest) but those days are gone - especially since the demise of the poppies (very sad). I ended up at uni in Leicester (it is no coincidence that I decided to study in the city where my football team played) which only served to fan my passion for the club. These days I live in London but my family still live in the area; I tend to arrange my visits home to coincide with home games and I try to get to as many of the London-based away games as possible. 

Was a big Liverpool fan when I was young liked Michael Owen as a player. However got taken to a few City games at the age of 12 and just fell in the love with the club. Felt being a football supporter is about supporting your local team so much more passion towards it. So glad I support Leicester now.

79 or 80. Toying with F***** (even had my photo taken with John O'Hare and John McGovern and the European Cup in the old sports shop on London Road). Dad not impressed. Took me down a half empty Filbo to see us lose a drab game 1-0 to an Oldham side in the most garish orange kit you've evert seen. Set the tone for the next 30 plus years really.

August 1969. Grandad took me to Filbert St to watch us vs Norwich. We won 3-0 and I was hooked. Strangely, my Dad and brothers all supported Liverpool (still do).

A few years ago I gave my 8 yr old daughter license to support whoever she wanted, then told her that when i die, my autopsy will show my heart to be blue, with a Fox imprinted on it :scarf: . Is this wrong...?

We have had the thread before, a year or so ago.

I grew up supporting Liverpool but as I got close to being a teenager I just thought that Leicester boys should support Leicester, so I switched allegiances. My first game was against Villa in the League Cup in 81. Boring 0-0, the most interesting thing was Steve Lynex getting kicked in the teeth. We lost the replay

My Uncle took me to this game:

http://www.foxeshistory.co.uk/matchdetails.php?mid=1616

Beat Wolves 5-0 and can still remember it clearly (I was 8 at the time).

He then took me to pretty much all of the home games for the next 4 or 5 years, then I started going with a couple of mates from school, think it only cost about £1.50 in the main stand...

I had been to quite a few games with friends and their families when I was younger; Forest, Notts County, Everton, Luton as well I think, and while I enjoyed being at the game I never really felt too bothered about any of the games. Then my dad took me to a game at Filbert Street against Sunderland in April '92 and evrything changed. I'll always remember walking up the steps in the old Double Decker and seeing the pitch for the first time, I was amazed and I knew then that I was a City fan. We won the game 3-2 and I loved every second it. Been hooked ever since, and as much as the team seem to try their hardest to annoy me every week, I wouldn't change it for anything.

I remember when i was younger me and my dad always us to say we had a soft spot for Leicester, as in them days we used to just support Villa and The boro. I think we had soft spot for them because my late grandfather supported the foxes and used to go to a couple of games. Anyway one day, my dad and his mates at work mentioned they had a free ticket going for the Leicester v Red Star Belgrade in game in 2000. My dad went and since then he said he felt when went to Leicester he felt part of family. He said it felt like a premier league club that he felt was closest to the fans, anyway a few months later my dad took me to see Leicester v Bristol City in the fa cup and i sat in the end opposite the kop at filbert street (at my only visit there), and since my soft spot changed to minor supporter. Then a couple of years later i went to see them at the new walkers stadium and from then on i came a fully supporter.

One thing i like about Leicester is, unlike the premier league clubs who separate the players from fans as much as possible. At Leicester, you can speak to the players before the game, wish them luck and all. What i think is nice.

I remember watching the '93 play-off final on telly and being absolutely gutted, I was fairly laid back about City before then.

The following season I went to one or two games with my dad when he had Saturdays off and was hooked thereafter. I basically grew up with the Martin O'Neill era and have been waiting for something resembling those heady days ever since.

Archived