Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Set pieces

My faith in our set pieces was destroyed when James passed it from a corner to Dyer.

Don't get me wrong, Dyer is a fantastic player down the wing when in from but he's the last person I'd trust with a cross/shot from that position. It would have been better with King or Knockaert there.

It ended up slowly and painfully dribbling out for a goal kick. A complete waste of possession.

Heard an interview with Pearson pre-game how he wants us to be better at set pieces,yet we still look like we will never score from them...why is this do you think?

I have no idea we are as useless as Arsenal when it comes to Set Pieces...

It was always going to happen today, because they had Burn in defence who is 6ft7.

When do we see a defender that size down the KP, not very often.

It was frustrating, but it wasn't surprising that nothing came from throw ins or corners.

I have no idea we are as useless as Arsenal when it comes to Set Pieces...

We've not been any good since Bruno Berner was heading them in

Just like Arsenal, we don't need to cross them... Take a short corner & work the ball into the box. there's no point floating it in when we're not a tall team and the opposition can head it clear all day, however working the ball into a crowded box with a runner can draw a penalty or a goal mouth scramble from a shot... Much better than the opposition heading clear & hitting us on the break.

We've not been any good since Bruno Berner was heading them in

Just like Arsenal, we don't need to cross them... Take a short corner & work the ball into the box. there's no point floating it in when we're not a tall team and the opposition can head it clear all day, however working the ball into a crowded box with a runner can draw a penalty or a goal mouth scramble from a shot... Much better than the opposition heading clear & hitting us on the break.

The two players that can run with the ball are always on the bench, I don't mind that away, but we should be more attacking and creative at home... we shouldn't have to wait when we are a goal down.

We scored from a set piece against Derby and Wycombe. And frequently towards the end of last season.

Attacking-wise, I think we're fine from set pieces.

Personally I just ****ing hate the long throws, waste's time and they give us nothing.

This, there pointless without any aerial threat. It's shocking that's not blatantly obvious to the management team who are insistent of holding up play every time. I'd understand if wes was in there and they didn't have giant in defence, employ it when it makes sense - looks tactically naive having done this today.

I'd say its because we have about two players over 6ft.

So why do we persist in lumping balls in the box when 99 percent time it just gets headed straight back out.

Amazed we don't try something different,in the nineties Walshie,Elliott and Prior use to wait outside the box for corners, then run and attack the ball when it was crossed in,defences were all at sea because they did not know what to do.

We got that much respect at set pieces that cannot remember which manager it was,may have been Wenger but he told his players to not to give Leicester any corners or silly free kicks away.

You don't necessarily need tall players in order for corners and free-kicks to work. It's about precision and positioning - and we're lacking in that department, have been doing so for years.

19 (?) corners today and no goals scored from at least one of them - slightly worrying.

Correct me if I am wrong but 8 goals do far this season 2 penalties 2 from corners and 4 from open play doesn't suggest to me we have a huge problem with set pieces.

We also haven't yet conceded from a set piece so thinks not looking too bad.

We can't take or defend throw in for some reason, players often look disinterested in the ball. And yesterday about 9 times out of 10 when the ball went in the box long from a corner, not only did we not win it, but we had no one under it, challenging for the ball. 

Therefore we've got to do short corners and short throw in most of the time. 

And Dyer did have a meaningful cross , when he created that good chance for when Knocky came sliding in. 

We scored from a set piece against Derby and Wycombe. And frequently towards the end of last season.

Attacking-wise, I think we're fine from set pieces.

I disagree we look toothless from them and i don't recall many games towards the end of the season were where we scored from them.

Archived