Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Munshi

Charlton Post match.

Just before I start, I will make absolutely no comment about the ref in this, it will drive me crazy.

I've had a few observations regarding the 3-5-2/5-3-2 that we're playing.

We seem to be very conservative and defensive minded in the way that we go about things. Our full backs positioning when we had the ball was terrible - and it seemed to be under the instruction of Pearson to tuck in more, whereas as soon as we win the ball they should shoot out as wide as they can, as quick as possible to make space and get some width. Schlupp began to do this as the first half wore on but De Laet did not do it all. With 3 centre backs, it allows the wing backs to bomb on and take their men on. I began to lose the number of times that De Laet had opportunities to go down the line and get past his marker. Instead he preferred to cut in or look for a pass. Schlupp was similar but not as bad. Players with the pace that Schlupp and RDL have could terrorise the crap out of full backs but they seemed very reluctant to do so. NEGATIVE!

Secondly, again with this formation, having 3 centre backs, say if Moore for example has the ball with space in front of him, CARRY IT! There would be enough defensive minded players to cover him as he galavants forwards. He will then drag players out of midfield creating more space for the midfield 3 to carry forward when he lays it off and at this stage the closest wing back should be bombing on too. Being aggressive whilst having the ball is the only way to play this formation.

Third and final point. A midfield 3 of King, Drinkwater and James will never work in a 3-5-2. All 3 play too close to one another. None are ball carriers of note. None can shoot from range. All are too similar, slow the play down too much and are more intent on keeping possession as opposed to going forward when in possession. For me, it must always be James + King/Drinkwater + Knockaert. King and Drinkwater should never play together in there.

The 3-5-2 COULD work, but Pearson's tactics are well off. A change of personnel to be more adventurous and aggressive would be more beneficial as well as more attacking intent. 

I wondered how long it'd take, anyway, reeee post.

I've been to the game and....

I don't care what anyone says on the radio (because I know they will) the referee was crap but we were crapper awful. Wish I hadn't of bothered!

Just be honest with yourselves, please, I don't like liars.

2 examples in 2 years.

First one I couldn't give a flying **** about an FA cup game in the grand scheme of things and being down to ten men wouldn't have made a difference to our season. Yes, he may have been suspended for a league game but we'd still have 11 players anyway.

I actually thought Knockaert's one was a dive and we got lucky - didn't bloody take advantage of it though did we! That's the only time in years I've thought we had got lucky (debatable too) and we cocked it up.

Honestly can't remember a game where we have benefited from a shocking decision by the ref and it has won us a game.

They were off the top of my head.

I think there are probably others. Morgan fouling the Posh centre back as he scored on the opening day of the season being one.

I don't disagree with you by the way, I think we have had some very poor decisions go against us in recent times, and I suspect we're on the shit end of more than most, but I don't think we're THAT hard done by.

Just before I start, I will make absolutely no comment about the ref in this, it will drive me crazy.

We seem to be very conservative and defensive minded in the way that we go about things. Our full backs positioning when we had the ball was terrible - and it seemed to be under the instruction of Pearson to tuck in more, whereas as soon as we win the ball they should shoot out as wide as they can, as quick as possible to make space and get some width. Schlupp began to do this as the first half wore on but De Laet did not do it all. With 3 centre backs, it allows the wing backs to bomb on and take their men on. I began to lose the number of times that De Laet had opportunities to go down the line and get past his marker. Instead he preferred to cut in or look for a pass. Schlupp was similar but not as bad. Players with the pace that Schlupp and RDL have could terrorise the crap out of full backs but they seemed very reluctant to do so. NEGATIVE!

Secondly, again with this formation, having 3 centre backs, say if Moore for example has the ball with space in front of him, CARRY IT! There would be enough defensive minded players to cover him as he galavants forwards. He will then drag players out of midfield creating more space for the midfield 3 to carry forward when he lays it off and at this stage the closest wing back should be bombing on too. Being aggressive whilst having the ball is the only way to play this formation.

Third and final point. A midfield 3 of King, Drinkwater and James will never work in a 3-5-2. All 3 play too close to one another. None are ball carriers of note. None can shoot from range. All are too similar, slow the play down too much and are more intent on keeping possession as opposed to going forward when in possession. For me, it must always be James + King/Drinkwater + Knockaert. King and Drinkwater should never play together in there.

The 3-5-2 COULD work, but Pearson's tactics are well off. A change of personnel to be more adventurous and aggressive would be more beneficial as well as more attacking intent.

Good post

Was at game today.

1st half as others stated we weren't good at all.

Ref was appalling, spoilt the game.

Wouldnt describe incident as Matty chasing him, they were fairly close together, cos the **** ran towards Matty 1st, as I remember it!

Defending of corners was shambolic.

Love Nuge but sooner his wife gives birth the better cos he's been poor IMO

Knocky trying too hard at mo.

10 men made a good fist of it 2nd half.

Fans were excellent.

Drinky good goal but he's fvcking me off with the ear thing now.....grow up son!

This, this and this.

Also, I've always noticed our fans are so much louder when we've been done an injustice. 

I've just seen the 'penalty' on SSN.

The slightest of contact that should not have been enough to bring James down and the initial touch was outside the box anyway.

Then James runs after the ref shouting and waving his arms gets right in the ref's face and is then sent off for dissent.

I knew Stringer and Young were talking shit on the radio, it was not a penalty and Jame's reaction by the letter of the law was a yellow card.

Being already on a Yellow card he ran the risk of going off by acting in that manner.

By the letter of the law diving is a yellow card offence, didn't see Kermorgant receive one when he threw himself on the floor several times.

The ref was bad but he wasn't that bad. We played better with ten men so he did us a favour really.... :whistle:

Ok he wasn't good but we lost the game ourselves today, he didn't help but I'd blame our defending of corners much more than I would the referee.

Well done. Thank you.

Wish he'd have chinned him!

'Knock him out, Knockaert Knockaert!'

By the letter of the law diving is a yellow card offence, didn't see Kermorgant receive one when he threw himself on the floor several times.

James wasn't booked for diving.

The ref was bad but he wasn't that bad. We played better with ten men so he did us a favour really.... :whistle:

Ok he wasn't good but we lost the game ourselves today, he didn't help but I'd blame our defending of corners much more than I would the referee.

Agreed, was livid with our set pieces, as per usual. 

He really, really was. Inconsistent, biased, arrogant and just generally poor. Shouldn't be officiating league football.

To be fair, I've not actually seen anyone say it was the refs fault we lost, just that he was awful! Most people admit we didn't deserve anything and rightly so.

He really, really was. Inconsistent, biased, arrogant and just generally poor. Shouldn't be officiating league football.

Right I kind of didn't say it properly, I meant that he didn't affect the game as much as some are making out, I think.

I mean yes he was actually pretty damn awful really but his awfulness* didn't impact on us too much. The freekicks and stuff didn't really lose us the game in the same way that our own defending lost us the game. Red card didn't change the game much either IMO, we played better afterwards although I would rather have had James on the pitch of course.

If I look at the ref himself yes I do agree with you, he was terrible.

*wow, didn't know 'awfulness' was a word. That's brightened my day a little. :)

Having seen the replays...

1st goal appalling defending and keeping. How can as good a player in the air as Morrison be given a free header IN THE SIX YARD BOX!

Kasper needs to command his area more!

Sending off - two harsh yellow cards. Yes, James runs up to him but how many times do players do this and not get a yellow card?!

Their second goal - seems like Kasper basically runs into their player and then complains. Again a free header for Kermorgant, the one player we should know not to let have his way in the air!

Overall, a disappointing result, and by the sounds of it performance too. Complete opposite of last year - points tally masking poor performances as opposed to a poor points tally despite battering teams such as Charlton and Blackburn.

Let's hope we can improve on our performances and start to string a whole 90 together.

Still think there are quite a few stronger squads than ours in the league but as I've said in other threads, can't complain about 10 from 15

Right I kind of didn't say it properly, I meant that he didn't affect the game as much as some are making out, I think.

I mean yes he was actually pretty damn awful really but his awfulness* didn't impact on us too much. The freekicks and stuff didn't really lose us the game in the same way that our own defending lost us the game. Red card didn't change the game much either IMO, we played better afterwards although I would rather have had James on the pitch of course.

If I look at the ref himself yes I do agree with you, he was shit.

To be fair I'd say I agree with that, I was just more getting at the individual performance of the ref.

Either way, it's all done and nothing can be changed about it now.

I mean yes he was actually pretty damn awful really but his awfulness* didn't impact on us too much. The freekicks and stuff didn't really lose us the game in the same way that our own defending lost us the game. Red card didn't change the game much either IMO, we played better afterwards although I would rather have had James on the pitch of course.

If I look at the ref himself yes I do agree with you, he was terrible.

Yes, his 'awfulness' only cost us 2 goals. Why do you always have to play the underdog, devil's advocate role. Plain and simple, first goal, should never have been a corner, should have been a free kick after Kasper was fouled. Second goal, foul on Kasper. That's without even getting on to the pathetic sending off. As for you saying 'we played better with 10 men anyway'. NO. We were just beginning to turn the screw, Vardy's excellent run, Drinky having the one on one saved and then James being clipped on the edge of the box. You are talking out of your arse.

Hi Charlton Fan here in peace , Not here to gloat just here to share some thoughts

1: schmeichel- Thought he didn't have the best first half and was infact probably at fault for our first , however , his second half performance may have been one of the best I've ever witnessed at the valley , deffinately the best shot stopper outside the Premier league , no question

2: The Ref - Thought he had a shocker , Not to sure What James said to the ref but to be honest , if one of our players got sent of arguing our cause , I'd be annoyed too , it was nice to have a ref give us some dubious decisions for once though

3 : Kermo- I can completely understand why you hate him , but c'mon , he played well today , Showed a lot more energy that Wood or Nugent I thought , Class act when in the mood.

4 : Away Support : thought your fans were good , up there with some of the best we've witnessed over the past Season and a bit

5 : The Result - Thought we probably just edged the game , however , had the last 20 been played with 11 each I feel you may have got at least a point

Good luck for the rest of the season , you've certainly got a strong squad of players there

It's a difficult match to judge as of course the ref played a huge part today! and guess who the ref was? Deadman! seriously this guy as got a problem with us have we every been allowed to win a game with him in charge. Leaving aside the decisions you'd have to admit we weren't our best today but we deserved a point i believe. 

Once again Pearson picked 5-3-2 again! i mean come on seriously nigel, haven't you got the message yet? it doesn't work! To be honest one or two Nigel's decisions today were weird, one of them was taking off Vardy while Nuge appeared to be having a poor game. Also didn't Wood, Dyer & Knocky score on Tuesday? none of them made the starting eleven.

Once again i've kept saying it through the pre-season but were desperate in need of striker we haven't got that striker that just blasts into the net without hesitation.  

It's a difficult match to judge as of course the ref played a huge part today! and guess who the ref was? Deadman! seriously this guy as got a problem with us have we every been allowed to win a game with him in charge. Leaving aside the decisions you'd have to admit we weren't our best today but we deserved a point i believe. 

Once again Pearson picked 5-3-2 again! i mean come on seriously nigel, haven't you got the message yet? it doesn't work! To be honest one or two Nigel's decisions today were weird, one of them was taking off Vardy while Nuge appeared to be having a poor game. Also didn't Wood, Dyer & Knocky score on Tuesday? none of them made the starting eleven.

Do you have Nuneaton Lad on the back of a replica shirt?

No good blaming the ref. He was the same 24 carat cvnt he always is when he refs us but lets not pretend Leicester were robbed today - we were fvcking awful and lucky to only lose 2-1.

Been coming I feel. Saw this one coming a mile off. Over-confidence at a ground we always seem to stutter at - in a city where we're quite possibly the worst side in the country at.

Just a bad day at the office all-round. Got to get over it and move on to the next game, all we can really do.

I wasn't at the game today but I would suspect that the James sending off effectively knocked the nail in.

Again, the score is therefore not surprising, but it's the way we played, apparently, that is more open to question.

I was happy with the pre-match team today, and the formation, but that first half sounded utterly fookin dross again.

Yes, his 'awfulness' only cost us 2 goals. Why do you always have to play the underdog, devil's advocate role. Plain and simple, first goal, should never have been a corner, should have been a free kick after Kasper was fouled. Second goal, foul on Kasper. That's without even getting on to the pathetic sending off. As for you saying 'we played better with 10 men anyway'. NO. We were just beginning to turn the screw, Vardy's excellent run, Drinky having the one on one saved and then James being clipped on the edge of the box. You are talking out of your arse.

I do that? Didn't realise. And it's good to hear my opinion is so well respected by your good self.

Debatable mistakes for the goals, even if he was wrong then I didn't think either were clear cut so I wouldn't blame him too much for that. If he was wrong then I certainly retain my view that it was far worse of us to not defend the corner than it was of the ref to get it wrong.

The red card was appalling. Totally disagree with the ref on both yellow cards. Still don't think you can put the majority of the blame on the referee.

Archived