Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Munshi

Charlton Post match.

I'm fed up of it mate. Pisses me off that we just have to expect to put up with shite referees - the piss-poor standard of refereeing is my one of my biggest bug-bears with football. Yes it's a difficult job but you have to be up to it and too many are not. Simple common sense seems to be an alien concept these days.

Maybe James was a bit daft but a second yellow? For 'running aggressively' towards the ref? Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

I disagree, most players make WAY more mistakes in a game than a ref, and get paid WAY more than a ref, but referees are easier to blame because they're on nobody's team, so to speak.

arguing/running at/shouting at referees is one of the blights on the modern game and is ridiculously annoying. possibly 1 in 10,000 times we see a ref change a decision. in fact, I think it should literally be zero tolerance, no speaking to the ref unless spoken to!

No good blaming the ref. He was the same 24 carat cvnt he always is when he refs us but lets not pretend Leicester were robbed today - we were fvcking awful and lucky to only lose 2-1.

Been coming I feel. Saw this one coming a mile off. Over-confidence at a ground we always seem to stutter at - in a city where we're quite possibly the worst side in the country at.

Just a bad day at the office all-round. Got to get over it and move on to the next game, all we can really do.

Don't really like it when people say "oh we never win there" or "we've got a poor record in London". Each game should be judged in isolation. You can't simply chalk a game off because it's somewhere we "usually lose" or they are our "bogey side". Not just picking you out, you're just the nearest post with this sort of thing on, many people have posted on the same lines.

If we are ever to be promoted from this god forsaken league then we need to be able to beat these sorts of teams away from home, wherever they are from.

Granted, today was a bit of a one off with the red card and ref but still...

Hi Charlton Fan here in peace , Not here to gloat just here to share some thoughts

1: schmeichel- Thought he didn't have the best first half and was infact probably at fault for our first , however , his second half performance may have been one of the best I've ever witnessed at the valley , deffinately the best shot stopper outside the Premier league , no question

2: The Ref - Thought he had a shocker , Not to sure What James said to the ref but to be honest , if one of our players got sent of arguing our cause , I'd be annoyed too , it was nice to have a ref give us some dubious decisions for once though

3 : Kermo- I can completely understand why you hate him , but c'mon , he played well today , Showed a lot more energy that Wood or Nugent I thought , Class act when in the mood.

4 : Away Support : thought your fans were good , up there with some of the best we've witnessed over the past Season and a bit

5 : The Result - Thought we probably just edged the game , however , had the last 20 been played with 11 each I feel you may have got at least a point

Good luck for the rest of the season , you've certainly got a strong squad of players there

Cheers, fair enough assessment I guess.

I wasn't at the game today but I would suspect that the James sending off effectively knocked the nail in.

Again, the score is therefore not surprising, but it's the way we played, apparently, that is more open to question.

I was happy with the pre-match team today, and the formation, but that first half sounded utterly fookin dross again.

James sending off rallied us and made us start playing properly.

Just before I start, I will make absolutely no comment about the ref in this, it will drive me crazy.

I've had a few observations regarding the 3-5-2/5-3-2 that we're playing.

We seem to be very conservative and defensive minded in the way that we go about things. Our full backs positioning when we had the ball was terrible - and it seemed to be under the instruction of Pearson to tuck in more, whereas as soon as we win the ball they should shoot out as wide as they can, as quick as possible to make space and get some width. Schlupp began to do this as the first half wore on but De Laet did not do it all. With 3 centre backs, it allows the wing backs to bomb on and take their men on. I began to lose the number of times that De Laet had opportunities to go down the line and get past his marker. Instead he preferred to cut in or look for a pass. Schlupp was similar but not as bad. Players with the pace that Schlupp and RDL have could terrorise the crap out of full backs but they seemed very reluctant to do so. NEGATIVE!

Secondly, again with this formation, having 3 centre backs, say if Moore for example has the ball with space in front of him, CARRY IT! There would be enough defensive minded players to cover him as he galavants forwards. He will then drag players out of midfield creating more space for the midfield 3 to carry forward when he lays it off and at this stage the closest wing back should be bombing on too. Being aggressive whilst having the ball is the only way to play this formation.

Third and final point. A midfield 3 of King, Drinkwater and James will never work in a 3-5-2. All 3 play too close to one another. None are ball carriers of note. None can shoot from range. All are too similar, slow the play down too much and are more intent on keeping possession as opposed to going forward when in possession. For me, it must always be James + King/Drinkwater + Knockaert. King and Drinkwater should never play together in there.

The 3-5-2 COULD work, but Pearson's tactics are well off. A change of personnel to be more adventurous and aggressive would be more beneficial as well as more attacking intent. 

:thumbup:  decent

I disagree, most players make WAY more mistakes in a game than a ref, and get paid WAY more than a ref, but referees are easier to blame because they're on nobody's team, so to speak.

arguing/running at/shouting at referees is one of the blights on the modern game and is ridiculously annoying. possibly 1 in 10,000 times we see a ref change a decision. in fact, I think it should literally be zero tolerance, no speaking to the ref unless spoken to!

I agree with your final point that it should be zero tolerance - that seems to work in other sports such as rugby.

Remonstrating with referees is indeed a blight on the modern game but then so is the glaring inconsistency of a lot of refereeing performances - I genuinely feel that in the past two years godawful referees have ruined probably 15-20% of our games. I think if the standard was higher then players would be better behaved but they will get frustrated when a referee isn't up to it.

Having said that, I still don't view what James did as in any way worthy of a booking - if he'd sworn then by all means send him off but he didn't and if that's aggressive behaviour then surprised there's not a sending off in every single game played.

One thing I've noticed is that in rugby the referees know all of the players first names and call them by their first names - a tiny thing like that seems to make a difference. Yes rugby referees probably have fewer names to memorise but it helps to build a rapport and if a football referee has a game the next week why can't he do his best to learn names beforehand? Rugby referees also rarely seem to panic even when it's all kicking off. Football referees seem to lose control all too quickly for me and this usually manifests itself in inexplicable red cards. As I said, standards should be much higher IMHO.

Don't really like it when people say "oh we never win there" or "we've got a poor record in London". Each game should be judged in isolation. You can't simply chalk a game off because it's somewhere we "usually lose" or they are our "bogey side". Not just picking you out, you're just the nearest post with this sort of thing on, many people have posted on the same lines.

If we are ever to be promoted from this god forsaken league then we need to be able to beat these sorts of teams away from home, wherever they are from.

It's no coincidence though is it....

Powell.

The man, the myth, the legend.

Shame he never fails to beat us.

ANALYSIS:

We always have to have some sort of spark before we actually start playing football, whether it is a poor ref or impact subs... we just seem to sit back until an event in the game get's them going.

This time it was too late.

We were set up wrong from the start, decision to not start in form players cost us.

5-3-2 should be used properly if Pearson wishes to stick by it. Creative midfielder needs to start, if Pearson puts this new signing into the role instead of Knockaert I will be disappointed because it shows no player loyalty.

Also, I feel for those who put in a decent shift against Carlisle yet didn't start, surely going to knock confidence and make players think what can they actually do to get into the squad.

Father Ted is right. 

3-5-2, 5-3-2 whatever it is, is just too negative, and the players don't play the formation properly, how it should be played. 

Watford play it the correct way, we don't. The formation should suit De Laet down to the ground, but he hasn't been capable of going on his dangerous runs, he get's closed out by the opposition and they don't allow him to play the way he should be playing. Schlupp in my opinion doesn't work in this formation, he can play left-back, but he can only play left-back if supported by Dyer on the left side. They have good understanding, and work well together, we saw it at times last season, and it certainly worked against Birmingham last week. 

And with the midfield, we lack creativity, and if we are just going to swap Drinkwater or whoever for Hammond, then it will still remain negative, a simple flat three across the midfield, all of which are far too similar. Hopefully some of our idiotic fans open their eyes on this matter. You lot moan about creativity, but you aren't going to get it, if Pearson keeps on playing, James - King - Drinkwater(Hammond) week in week out. No Knockaert results in no forward thinking and no creativity, therefore the formation will just look negative. 

Father Ted is right.

3-5-2, 5-3-2 whatever it is, is just to negative, and the players don't play the formation properly, how it should be played.

Watford play it the correct way, we don't. The formation should suit De Laet down to the ground, but he hasn't been capable of going on his dangerous runs, he get's closed out by the opposition and they don't allow him to play the way he should be playing. Schlupp in my opinion doesn't work in this formation, he can play left-back, but he can only play left-back if supported by Dyer on the left side. They have good understanding, and work well together, we saw it at times last season, and it certainly worked against Birmingham last week.

And with the midfield, we lack creativity, and if we are just going to swap Drinkwater or whoever for Hammond, then it will still remain negative, a simple flat three across the midfield, all of which are far too similar, and hopefully some of our idiotic fans open their eyes on this matter. You lot moan about creativity, but you aren't going to get it, if Pearson keeps on playing, James - King - Drinkwater(Hammond) week in week out. No Knockaert results in no forward thinking and no creativity, therefore the formation will just look negative.

I said it a few weeks ago and I say it again.. To play 3-5-2 effectively, you MUST play a creative midfielder, with a good range of passing to quickly get the ball forward and utilise the wing-backs.

Most of the attack must stem through this player.

We simply DON'T have that player (see assists thread).

For example, why this worked beautifully for Martin O'Neil was because we had Garry Parker. He instinctively knew that Guppy would be bombing down the touch line to be able to whip in a cross. Parker had the ability to quickly spray the ball forward and the vision to pick out the right man.

This current City side sorely needs a player like that if we are playing wing-backs.

Regarding Schmeichel,

There's a difference between being a good shot stopper and an all round quality keeper, Kaspers indecisive flapping at corners has cost us dearly at times. He NEEDS to command his whole back four, I think he needs to watch videos of Shilton in his prime!

I said it a few weeks ago and I say it again.. To play 3-5-2 effectively, you MUST play a creative midfielder, with a good range of passing to quickly get the ball forward and utilise the wing-backs.

Most of the attack must stem through this player.

We simply DON'T have that player (see assists thread).

For example, why this worked beautifully for Martin O'Neil was because we had Garry Parker. He instinctively knew that Guppy would be bombing down the touch line to be able to whip in a cross. Parker had the ability to quickly spray the ball forward and the vision to pick out the right man.

This current City side sorely needs a player like that if we are playing wing-backs.

I also said last year Col, that most teams who get promoted, usually have a creative spark in the side, or a midfielder who is capable of scoring 10-15 a season. This is why I was just a little lost on how Hammond would fit in yesterday, we needed a forward thinking midfielder, more creativeness yet Pearson buys a player who is defensive and similar to what we already have. If you are going to play Knockaert and put him in as an attacking midfielder, that would leave us with two central midfielders, and like I said yesterday, same if we play a 4-4-2 formation, where does that leave Hammond and Drinkwater. Also if we play the formation Essex suggested yesterday, a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, that's the best formation to play in terms of starting Hammond and Knockaert, but where's the pace from out wide, where's the width?

But regardless of all that, we need more creativeness in the side, and the only way we will get that, is if Knockaert is given a shot in a more advanced attacking midfield role, and actually performs well; however I also think we need one more signing by Monday night, and that player should be an attacking minded midfielder. 

Like I said above, teams who have got promoted often had a midfielder, who created or scored 10-15 a season, but we might have that already, but we aren't applying it, in the way we should. 

Reading had it from out wide, with McAnuff & Kebe

Southampton had it with Lallana

Cardiff with Whittingham

Hull with Brady & Koren

Crystal Palace same as Reading, from out wide with Zaha & Bolasie.

If you want to go even further back, QPR with Taarabt. 

None of our players are like the above. 

Was a bit pissed watching the game, and am even more pissed now, but they were shit, really shit, I don't mind being beaten by a better team, but they were crap.

I missed the James incident, but he isn't that sort of player and a getting sent off was ridiculously harsh especially as his first yellow was well harsh.

Their second seemed like a foul on Kasper, but I don't really remember.

What I don't understand was Pearson taking Vardy off, I thought he was our mos creative up until that point and they were others much more deserving of being hauled off. Off the players to be substituted today the last 2 on my list would have been Vardy and de laet, but they were NP's first subs. A bit weird.

The sad thing is I agree with every single word lol I think the point about them being low in the table and people being too confident of a Leicester win (both fanbases) stands firmly. It's just one of those games and I saw it all coming a mile off.

To be honest it was a very typical away game of the second half of last year.

This might come across as petulant and maybe I should just move on after yesterday, but I couldn't help doing a quick search on the ref and didn't realise what an egotistical clown he really is. http://bit.ly/1dDPbgc

Also, his Wikipedia page (I realise this isn't exactly the Oxford Dictionary, but still) has a long list of previous f**k ups - certainly more controversies than "highlights". http://bit.ly/15LgXlp

Deadman. What a twunt. 

Anyone know why knocky was on his own on the 10pm train back to leicester in his training gear??

Possibly international break? There were a few pro footballers dotted around London P that hadn't travelled back on their team coaches because of the international break

Heard he'd addicted to Nandos, and like some football fans who look forward to going to new grounds, Knocky loves tucking into a chicken platter at a newly opened Nandos after a match

No one finds you funny, your puns are utter shite.

Archived