Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Andy King

Doesn't get enough credit. 

Excellent again today, defensively and attacking wise. His defensive skills have come on tremendously well over the past couple of season's. At times today his positioning was his worst asset, as Barnsley seemed to walk through our midfield at times, but on the ball he was calm, linked well with all players and mopped up excellently well. I didn't know if anybody else realised today, but he was giving out instructions to his team mates like he was the leader at times, instead of Wes.

Hardly anybody has mentioned his work, it's like people don't realise, a bit like Matty James last season, the games he played prior to Christmas I thought he was excellent, but fans didn't notice the work he was doing and didn't give him enough credit, until the second half of the season. 

King has been quietly effective this season, but has definitely been one of our best and most consistent players so far.

I will go as far to saying, he is one of the best midfielders in the league at the minute.

Kingy  :worship:

Oh dear.... I'm gonna be shot down in flames again here.

Today, we saw the best and worst of King.

The best: calming things down, spraying the ball around, doing the simple stuff very well.

The worst: literally having the opposition midfield running past him with ease, missing challenges, getting over-run in the middle of the park when Barnsley had their little spell.

So I'm not going to simply kiss King's arse. I like him as a player, he's an asset to the team, but again today I saw times where our midfield seemed almost non-existent. During the last 20 mins for example, I recollect three occasions where they picked the ball up on the halfway line, and simply ran on and took a shot,unchallenged,, forcing Kasper to save.

I'm surprised others didn't see this, or maybe don't want to accept it?

Overall, King is good... But his limitations remain when the team is trying to see a game out.

The best: calming things down, spraying the ball around, doing the simple stuff very well.

The worst: literally having the opposition midfield running past him with ease, missing challenges, getting over-run in the middle of the park when Barnsley had their little spell.

So I'm not going to simply kiss King's arse. I like him as a player, he's an asset to the team, but again today I saw times where our midfield seemed almost non-existent. During the last 20 mins for example, I recollect three occasions where they picked the ball up on the halfway line, and simply ran on and took a shot,unchallenged,, forcing Kasper to save.

Overall, King is good... But his limitations remain when the team is trying to see a game out.

It's no coincidence that we didn't look like conceding when swapping King for Hammond. He's a great midfielder on the attack and with possession. One of the best in the league. BUT when we are under the cosh he needs another midfielder in there to help him out as he is just too lightweight in defence.

It's no coincidence that we didn't look like conceding when swapping King for Hammond. He's a great midfielder on the attack and with possession. One of the best in the league. BUT when we are under the cosh he needs another midfielder in there to help him out as he is just too lightweight in defence.

Gosh... Rather than a 'King is fantastic' type post, you've hit the nail on the head IMO.

I agree with ya buddy..

I saw those things as well but you can't put it all on King's shoulders, at that point Vardy & Nuge had stopped closing play down and both Knocky and Dyer had disappeared from the centre to retire to the wings and if you're going cite King then you need to include Drink who was also bypassed.

In reality at that stage half the team looked knackered as they'd run themselves into the ground and Barnsley had fresh legs and the impetus from the goal. The subs should have been on much earlier. I noticed Shaky was chatting to someone for a good 10 mins or more trying to decide what subs to make.

As you saw yourself Col, I said the same thing in the post match thread.

And by mentioning positioning in my post, that's when Barnsley basically walked through our midfield. It wasn't just King at fault though, it was Drinkwater as well. Both had chances to get stuck in, and it's like they are too tentative to close down, so they track a different player instead, which leaves a gap, big enough to completely run through and create a chance, hence why we made changes and put three in midfield, and despite taking King off, it did help, I thought James played a fantastic little cameo.

But as a whole, King was fantastic today Col, defensively he has come on leaps and bounds, he get's stuck in nowadays, he wins tackles, he mops up and looks forward, that's what you want to see from an all round midfielder.  

Alan Young made a good point - you miss him when he's not playing.

He may not be the most extravagant player, but I couldn't agree more with what Young said. He may go a little quiet in games, but so does every single player in every single team in every single division across the world. No-one plays so consecutively good in every single game week-in week-out and it'd be harsh to expect that from King. I'd say the same for players like Messi and Ronaldo, too - even they have their quiet spells in games. 

Can't be bothered to re-iterate just how much I rate King but what I will just say, again, in response to the anonymous thing... you notice players who are making mistakes or not doing the right things. It's very rare that this is King so I have no issue with him 'anonymously' going about his job, doing the little things well. Nice to see him get the recognition he deserves when he does though.

Yeh McCourt had him in his back pocket for the last 15 mins, was a bit knife through butter! Before then he had the freedom of the park and played well. Just ran out of gas I guess!!

Can't believe that people are complaining about andy king. 250 games, 50 goals, the best finisher at the club. If we are playing an attacking line-up with two wingers we will be vulnerable ourselves. Another great team performance and yes I was there as usual to see it, not listening on the radio. AK is now a leicester city great in my opinion.

Again similar to the Lloyd Dyer thread, so people need to realise we are achampionship side. If king added being a tough tackling midfielder or being impossible to get around or Dyer added perfect crossing to his game, they simply wouldn't be playing for us, they would be at Barcelona, Real Madrid or one of the other top European clubs.

Being in the championship means we have good players but all have their limitations, for what it's worth I think we have the best goal keeper in the division, the best centre back (Morgan) possibly the best partnership with Moore, and in King one of the best midfielders and still young enough to add to his game when we are promoted to the premier league.

Can't believe that people are complaining about andy king. 250 games, 50 goals, the best finisher at the club. If we are playing an attacking line-up with two wingers we will be vulnerable ourselves. Another great team performance and yes I was there as usual to see it, not listening on the radio. AK is now a leicester city great in my opinion.

Not seen any complaining, just honest assessment, he has his faults, and today he was taken off because he wasn't able to control the midfield while under pressure, so we brought on someone better suited to it. We have a squad now where we can do that.

Not seen any complaining, just honest assessment, he has his faults, and today he was taken off because he wasn't able to control the midfield while under pressure, so we brought on someone better suited to it. We have a squad now where we can do that.

In effect we bought on two players to replace him Hammond & James.

Gosh... Rather than a 'King is fantastic' type post, you've hit the nail on the head IMO.

I agree with ya buddy..

Ahem.

Made 3 tackles today, that puts him second in the side for today's game.

Had the most touches (84) of any outfielder with the exception of Konchesky (87)

But agree it wasn't his best game of the season but far from a 'best and worst' performance.

I really do not understand this thread.

King is pretty much the same player that he has been for the last few years, the time he struggled with injury excepted.

He is hugely effective defensively in and around our box and just as good around their's and always has been.

What he is not is a physical presence in the middle third and again he never has been. Whether defensively or going forward he does not dominate in those areas, thats just the way he is.

Archived