Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DanTheFox07

Will we choke again?

Last season we started the season well, im not sure what the stats are compared to this one and it is early day's and result's our going are way. I wanted to know everyone's opinion's on what put's us in a stronger position to be in the automatic places come the end of the season? or do you think we will choke again last season?

We haven't hit our stride and yet we've bagged 23 points .....

I think we'll hit our stride soon and go on a good run .... and then instead of choking will have enough left at the end of the season to get through .... Why?? Because we've signed 3 experienced players that are pushing for starting places, not just sat in the squad.

Oh and we seem to have a plan B.

Mentality of the players?

The big time charlie attitude has finally been chipped away & everyone realises you get nowhere without hardwork

Everyone seems to play for each other & go the extra mile to lock out the win, rather than caving like we did last season

Our football isn't quite as pretty, but we're making good runs into the box (as our penalty stat proves) and we are winning games.

Whether we have the out & out quality to compete with the likes of QPR, Watford & Reading isn't 100% clear, but we look like a unit whether we're playing 442 or closing games off in a 433

Guest MattP

No.

The side looks far more solid this year and the players look they can be depended on to grind out results.

I still think top 2 will be pushing it given QPR looked nailed on for one and Wigan, Reading, Forest, Watford will all be up there but I expect us to finish in the top 6 a bit more comfortably that last year.

Then as usual, anything can happen.

One of the things that let us down last year was the lack of experienced heads in the side to steady the ship and keep up a good mentality in the squad. Think the young squad last year was perhaps a bit inexperienced to keep going through the tough run-in when we dropped form, and couldn't quite pull it back soon enough.

This year, NP has brought in some more experience of a very good calibre, all with something to add to the team (even if that's not as 1st teamers). Hammond has captained a promotion winning side, Taylor-Fletcher has play-off winning experience and Wasyl is a Poland international (who's surely got to be mentally tough given THAT injury and recovery). 

Our youngsters are developing well physically, and the mentality of the team is seemingly much stronger this year. Looks like things could (touch wood) be good this year.

I hope not.

We've got the same manager and mostly the same players. They could either have learnt from it, or it could be a recurring weakness. It took Cardiff several years to stop choking and Forest are still doing it every season.

The thing is the fixture list has been kind to us so far. We've still got to play the likes of QPR, Watford, Forest, Burnley and Reading. It's good we've got points on the board because we'll need them. We've got tougher games to come up and we will have a bad run at some point. We need to get over that ASAP.

I never saw that bad run coming last season. I wouldn't like to say it won't happen again but fingers crossed it's a one off.

We haven't hit our stride and yet we've bagged 23 points .....

I think we'll hit our stride soon and go on a good run .... and then instead of choking will have enough left at the end of the season to get through .... Why?? Because we've signed 3 experienced players that are pushing for starting places, not just sat in the squad.

Oh and we seem to have a plan B.

I must admit I still worry about us choking again, but like you state with the experience added it should prevent another crisis in confidence.

I like yourself have come to the conclusion that n.p and the boys are doing things differently this year, and doing it right, and my opinion of n.p are changing, and I'm starting to take to him as our manager.

I just really hope we can put a promotion winning season together, and it's not another false dawn.

What knocked us last season was a couple of injuries at the same time, Vardy may not have been banging them in, but he was playing well, got injured/ill, we drafted in Waghorn who wasn't match fit, around this time SSL and Whitbread were also taking it in turns to get injured and our paper thin squad got exposed. We were being forced into playing Futacs. James also got injured so we were relying on Drinky and King. A few players went badly off form and we just didn't have the players to cope with that. Later on in the season we suffered serious burn out as a number of our younger players were overplayed, RDL/Knocky/Drinky they were all involved in over 45 games last season.

We have a much better squad this season and we have experience and versatility, the only thing that I want to see is NP using them, rotation will prevent burn out and fatigue, we've not exactly played well in the last 2 games, despite the 6 points, bringing in James, Hammond, Was will not weaken the side, but will keep everyone fit an fresh, please NP don't listen to the never change a winning side brigade.

The bad run only happened because of NP's attitude in the cup competiton imo, this season is a complete change, will we choke?

Who knows last season we didn't have the nescessary squad depth, this season we do in all departments, so in that sense if we are in a bad run I expect the players to snap out of it quickly

The bad run only happened because of NP's attitude in the cup competiton imo, this season is a complete change, will we choke?

Who knows last season we didn't have the nescessary squad depth, this season we do in all departments, so in that sense if we are in a bad run I expect the players to snap out of it quickly

I can assure you we did not fall down to 8th because we went out to Huddersfield and Burton.

I hope that if we are still in a strong position in January, the board will take a risk and give Pearson the money to strengthen in the window for the final push.

No big time Charlie's just a couple who will compliment what we have, and get us over the line, as I am not convince we have enough quality in reserve if we lost a couple of the first teamers for a decent period of the season, especially in the striker department.

How does that explain our improvement towards the end of the season, when in our last six matches five were against teams in the top 8?

The cup game is so overused when analysing our fall away, we started to slide after losing at Peterborough and couldn't find a way of beating some very poor teams. However, the Barnsley away match has signalled a turnaround in our form and we've only lost to Watford and Charlton in the 17 or so games since. We lost our way totally against the average set in this league, if we cope with that we should be fine.

Not sure if we'll "choke" but we'll definitely have at least one poor run of results. It has been a solid start to the season but it has been by a very narrow margin. An outrageous number of penalties and some very narrow wins against some of the weakest sides in the division. An optimist would point to Cardiff last year as an example we seem to be following. A pessimist would point to Peter Taylor taking us to the top of the prem by beating a few crap teams despite ominous poor performances. A realist would land somewhere in the middle. Top-8 is about our level imo. With a bit of luck we'll make the play offs.

How does that explain our improvement towards the end of the season, when in our last six matches five were against teams in the top 8?

The cup game is so overused when analysing our fall away, we started to slide after losing at Peterborough and couldn't find a way of beating some very poor teams. However, the Barnsley away match has signalled a turnaround in our form and we've only lost to Watford and Charlton in the 17 or so games since. We lost our way totally against the average set in this league, if we cope with that we should be fine.

The Peterborough game was the turning point for me,Chris Wood and Nigel Pearson had what looked like some kind of fallout ,wether that had some kind of disruption to the side I don't know though it certainly did not help.

Not sure if we'll "choke" but we'll definitely have at least one poor run of results. It has been a solid start to the season but it has been by a very narrow margin. An outrageous number of penalties and some very narrow wins against some of the weakest sides in the division. An optimist would point to Cardiff last year as an example we seem to be following. A pessimist would point to Peter Taylor taking us to the top of the prem by beating a few crap teams despite ominous poor performances. A realist would land somewhere in the middle. Top-8 is about our level imo. With a bit of luck we'll make the play offs.

One thing that is guaranteed is that we'll have at least one bad run at some point. I think you're underestimating the strength of the squad though, I could understand a prediction of 8th pre-season (I thought 6th) but the 3 experienced signings we've made have made me think 3rd or 4th. They're exactly the sort of signings we should have made in January or the loan window, not youngsters. A couple more experienced players of decent quality in January and we could be well equipped for a top 2 challenge. You're thinking 8th at this point though?

November and December look very tough on paper, if we get through that with some positive results then things look good for us. I'd be interested to see what we'll do in the transfer window if we're comfortably top 2 again. I don't think this squad needs much else except everyone stepping up to the plate and grafting like fook. Our problems last year after January were that 3-4 players every game weren't performing to what they're capable of like Drinkwater, Nugent, Wood and Knockaert. It put us under pressure and then when struggled to overcome the run we were on.

Early days yet but we are doing FAR better than I anticipated, I thought last season would have taken it's toll but how wrong i've been.

I really think Dean Hammond and hopefully Wasyl will be superb for us in the latter months.

I think the fact we wre playing better football last season gives me more confidence that we still have some more gears to go through.

Don't get me wrong we are playing some decent stuff but last season we were incredible. We will need to convert more of our chances soon though

Our record against the top 8 was pretty respectable last season.

Cardiff- 1 point

Hull- 4 points

Watford- 0 points

Brighton- 4 points

Palace- 1 point

Bolton- 4 points

Nottingham Forest- 4 points

The games against the sides around us will be key, but our record against the bottom sides last season wouldn't look hugely different to those above.

Archived