Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wilson_6

When should i take my son to his first Leicester match?

Since my son was born i've been dreaming of the day that i can take him to watch Leicester with me. I remember having to miss the 1997 Cup final as my dad said "I was too young and had school the next day" i was 7 and always kind of resented him for it lol. Now my son wont even be 2 until August, and that is the youngest age allowed stated on OS. Should i take him from then or wait a couple more years so he enjoys it more. I took my step daughter last season when she was nearly 5 and she really loved it. 

Get him in there before he has time to be influenced by the media and other (glory-hunting) children. Let his earliest memories be Leicester City.

That was my thinking also. Especially as we don't live in Leicester and every one around supports United or Chelsea! 

Is there an age limit? I've been wondering this too recently as our 1st child is due this week and thinking ahead for the future

It says 2 years old or walking freely on the OS mate..Or it used to anyway.

I don't think there's really any point at 2 years old, although I imagine a photo of him at the ground aged 2 would be something cool to look back on when he grows up. I was taken to my first game in 1993 (I was 6) and we beat Millwall 4-0. can't remember whether I remember the game or just recall it from seeing photos but it will stick in the mind.

I've had a season ticket ever since.

Me and my wife have season tickets but only take our children in the warmer months (not many games) my son is 5 in January, daughter 2 next month.

We find that we have to take alternative forms of entertainment like coloring or a leap pad as cognitively at this stage they loose interest quickly.

Daughter loves the drum and noises though, likewise my son. There is always go kids go (re opened) across the road as a plan B if things don't work out.

Just ensure your wife/girlfriend/partner is tasked with the child sitting :-)

Me and my wife have season tickets but only take our children in the warmer months (not many games) my son is 5 in January, daughter 2 next month.

We find that we have to take alternative forms of entertainment like coloring or a leap pad as cognitively at this stage they loose interest quickly.

Daughter loves the drum and noises though, likewise my son. There is always go kids go (re opened) across the road as a plan B if things don't work out.

Just ensure your wife/girlfriend/partner is tasked with the child sitting :-)

Is you daughter not to young to attend then?

My parents took me at about 2 weeks, and I think my brother was even younger. That was in the early and mid 90s though. I think it depends where you sit and if you're sensible with the games that you go to initially. It is a shame that I don't remember my first footballing experience, but not having that memory means I have just grown up with going to the football and grown up with a love of Leicester City. You can teach them all sorts at the match as well. I learnt to read by reading the team sheet, my geography by finding on a map where the away team where the away team were coming from, or where we were going and also just about the game so they have the same love for it you do, without you having to fight against the pressures from school!

I do think going when he is 2 just for a picture is a good idea. And then every week when hes older (4) I doubt the big crowds would scare him though. He went to a huge bomb fire display this year and the noise and people didn't bother him at all. 

Hi Jace - this was in response to your comment, but it seems to have dropped your original quote  from  my post !!???

Advance congratulations to you both. Fingers crossed for a smooth and fabulous day for you both.

When my daughter was born, I had 'Grace' put in as her middle name (Grace Road, for the Leicester connection). Was going for 'Fox' for my son's middle name - unsurprisingly, my ex wouldn't let me go to register his birth unaccompanied !!

Depends on the child and the game and the time of year but I would defo recommend at least 5..maybe 6 and in the spring/late summer months.

I took my boy for his 4th birthday...built it up for months before...we drew nil nil with Derby...he found it very dull, wanted to go home at half time as it was freezing cold, and he now doesn't remember his first game anyway....

I regret taking him so early. 

Definitely agree with taking him at the start of the season or near the end when the weather is better. Also would probably take him to a game that we were likely to score a few goals against (Easier said than done). I think 6 is a bit too old though like said before he will already be at school at that point and the United vultures will be flying about ha! My step daughter (4) Loved it. Nice weather and we scored a couple so that helped i think! 

My parents took me at about 2 weeks, and I think my brother was even younger. That was in the early and mid 90s though. I think it depends where you sit and if you're sensible with the games that you go to initially. It is a shame that I don't remember my first footballing experience, but not having that memory means I have just grown up with going to the football and grown up with a love of Leicester City. You can teach them all sorts at the match as well. I learnt to read by reading the team sheet, my geography by finding on a map where the away team where the away team were coming from, or where we were going and also just about the game so they have the same love for it you do, without you having to fight against the pressures from school!

This is my thinking exactly! 

My son is football mad - Plays futsal, trains with Matt E footy development and plays for Desford. In between he's on FIFA / PES / watching any game he can on TV or just destroying the house with a football but I couldn't convince him to go to a game last season. He said it would be too long and boring to watch. I finally talked him into going to the first home game of the season (leeds) hoping he would catch the bug. It was a dull affair as we all know but thankfully he loved it and we go every week now. He was 6 in May. Depends on the child - I see some kids playing on DSs or going toilet every 10 mins through boredom ( Although don't we all feel like doing that sometimes :-) )

Archived