Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
65RosesFox

Your first choice back four!

We've had some injuries this season in defence however whenever someone has had to come in as a replacement they have had a solid performance and deservedly kept their spot.

So I was wondering with 6 players fighting for 4 positions and all with a good argument to start. If all were fully fit, who would your starting defence be?

Wasi - Morgan - Miquel - Konch

Konch will always be our best left back, he is so solid and his experience is vital.

Morgan will always play CB, he is our captain and a quality defender.

Wasi is excellent at both centre back and right back, as shown yesterday.

Miquel is also a class centre back who offers something slightly different, as his distribution is decent.

But then you have:

De Laet, who if he didn't get injured would probably be still in the team but lacks the defensive qualities of Wasi.

Moore, who is one of our own and has hardly put a foot wrong this season.

So we have 6 class defenders who could all fit quite comfortably in the back 4. Very good strength in depth.

I'd play the same back 4 as yesterday Was/Wes/Miquel/Konchesky and use De Laet as a winger when he comes back from injury.

I think he

could be decent on the wing but you wouldn't put him in for Knockaert would you?

I think the side we put out against Millwall is probably our strongest line up

This might sound like a cop out but I wouldn't just go for the same back four each match.  As has already been said our defenders have different qualities so I'd pick a back four that I thought would best negate the opposition.  Would still put Morgan in every time though.

Depends who we are playing, if we are facing pace on the flanks I would pick RDL at RB, or if we are playing a team that are strong in the middle but weak out wide and exploit his pace going forwards.

If we are facing a team of bruisers with a couple of lumps up front I would have Was, Wes and Moore to give us extra height.

Miquel looks good, but I wouldn't want him keeping Moore out the team on a regular basis as from what I have seen he is not significantly better.

I would also like to see us play a back 3 at times with RDL and Konch as wing backs.

How was Was at right back? Did he get forward much and give options on the overlap?

Depends who we are playing, if we are facing pace on the flanks I would pick RDL at RB, or if we are playing a team that are strong in the middle but weak out wide and exploit his pace going forwards.

If we are facing a team of bruisers with a couple of lumps up front I would have Was, Wes and Moore to give us extra height.

Miquel looks good, but I wouldn't want him keeping Moore out the team on a regular basis as from what I have seen he is not significantly better.

I would also like to see us play a back 3 at times with RDL and Konch as wing backs.

How was Was at right back? Did he get forward much and give options on the overlap?

He tried but he struggled to keep up with the pace of our attacks. It wasn't really the type of game that needed a wingback overlapping though so can't really blame him

He tried but he struggled to keep up with the pace of our attacks. It wasn't really the type of game that needed a wingback overlapping though so can't really blame him

Cheers, I didn't expect him to be flying down the wing, but you never know.

From a personal preference I would always go with pace at full back, RDL gives us an extra attacking option, but at the expensive of defence. I still think a back 3/5 looks pretty damn good for us, RDL Was Wes Moore Konch, but who would you sacrifice from the midfield or up top, we are strong in every position at the moment.

After my previous comment though, I'm not sure who I would pick against Blackpool and Tom Ince, RDL could match him for pace, but is not that strong defensively, whereas Was could just destroy him, or get skinned too easily.

Was Wes Miquel Konch.

Was' distribution is  sooo much better than De Laet's as seen in the last few games and Miquel is now match fit and looking very good on the ball and surprisingly strong in the air.

Very harsh on both Moore and De Laet as they have both been almost impeccable all season when they have played. Very good headache for Nigel to have though with 6 very good defenders vying for 4 positions.  

Archived