Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

Watford bid 1.5 million for King

I'd be gutted if we lost King and Dyer this summer purely because they're both part of the furniture here. King really does have a lot to offer too in my opinion. He's our most attacking central midfielder and is always good for a goal of two as well.

If he left, he'd be the last player from NP's first stint here gone, which I find strangely sad! Honestly think he'll have a part to play next year and think he'll come good after being overshadowed by 2 quality centre mids this season

Hahaha, I couldn't feel more smug than I do right now. Just think about Watford fans last summer and now think about the fact they are desperate to get our players in an effort to fire them to promotion. Priceless.

How is it a myth? Until you are in the final 3rd of the pitch players stand off you and hold positions, stats are facts. In the championship teams close you down a lot quicker all over the pitch.

If King was an epic player that was here for the same length of time then decided to go to another team you would all be gunning about his loyalty.

The same applies here! Where is your loyalty? This guy is one of our longest serving players, come through the ranks. Best player for our team a few years back in league 1 now just as he has achieved premiership status you are all saying he doesn't deserve it and should go to Watford.

King deserves his chance. It's a different ball game in the premiership and I think it might suit him.

Didn't a Prem club come in for him when we was in league one and he was smashing them in? Think it might have been Everton. Didn't hear a peep from King, other than he was happy and loves the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stats are fact show me the stats you have that back up your claim that until the final 3rd of the pitch players stand off you and hold positions? I work in sport science in football and I can tell you now that although the distances ran by teams is greater in the Championship, the players in the Premier League complete more high intensity running and sprints. The average height and weight of players is bigger in the Premier League, and the only league in which players reach comparable maximal speeds and acceleration is the Bundesliga. The game is faster in the Premiership. Full stop. Yes players run more in the Championship but that is essentially down to the difference in technical ability and teams aren't as adept at keeping the ball. Teams keep possession better in the Premiership but the speed of the game is no slower.

Top Premiership players appear to have more time on the ball because they create their own space, they read the game and anticipate what is about to happen. If you watched Manchester City last season a perfect example is David Silva, he does very little long distance running but what he did was short, sharp bursts of speed and his intelligence to find space is what gives him "more time on the ball". People expecting teams to sit back and let you have the ball are in for a shock come August 16th. 

Unless we are bringing in a central midfielder it would be futile to let him leave.

This, this, this..

Unless we're getting a better CM that can compete for a 1st team place with James and Drinkwater, then he isn't going.

If anyone's going then it'll be Dean Hammond on a free or out on loan for a new midfielder to compete with these.. But we need Andy King, as a player, and as inspiration got the new youth coming in to our squad.

With Conrad's layoff and benefits imminent, King (i guess) is the longest serving player, and with his goal of getting us in the prem (once a captain too remember) Pearson will 100% not let him go for 1.5m

(Though if we're serious about Troy Deeney, I can see a 3m fee for Deeney plus a King switch)

It wouldn't surprise me to see him leave.

In some ways i'd imagine him playing better in the Premiership because Kingy's as good as we're likely to get for retaining possession efficiently. He's also good for a few goals when given the opportunity.

On the downside he's not the quickest, not the most physical and not the greatest man marker when we lose possession, partly because he's so one paced and not a natural when it comes to twisting, turning and asserting himself among the hustle and bustle of needing to backtrack rapidly.

It's also questionable how many opportunities he'll get and that being the case he might rightly think he's too good to be sitting on a bench for chunks of the season and that it's time for a change and the chance to aid Watford's Championship challenge by helping get the best out of Dyer.

King has made the Welsh team on occasions but I've never felt he was especially influencial and it might be that we'll let him go fairly cheaply because of the service he's given us and our not wishing to keep his career on hold at a time when we've arguably got better players anyway and the resources to reinforce at a higher level too if necessary.

Two million should be enough in the circumstances.

My god. I'm glad I don't watch Leicester matches the way you do. lol

As stats are fact show me the stats you have that back up your claim that until the final 3rd of the pitch players stand off you and hold positions? I work in sport science in football and I can tell you now that although the distances ran by teams is greater in the Championship, the players in the Premier League complete more high intensity running and sprints. The average height and weight of players is bigger in the Premier League, and the only league in which players reach comparable maximal speeds and acceleration is the Bundesliga. The game is faster in the Premiership. Full stop. Yes players run more in the Championship but that is essentially down to the difference in technical ability and teams aren't as adept at keeping the ball. Teams keep possession better in the Premiership but the speed of the game is no slower.

Top Premiership players appear to have more time on the ball because they create their own space, they read the game and anticipate what is about to happen. If you watched Manchester City last season a perfect example is David Silva, he does very little long distance running but what he did was short, sharp bursts of speed and his intelligence to find space is what gives him "more time on the ball". People expecting teams to sit back and let you have the ball are in for a shock come August 16th. 

Makes sense.

Blows my argument out of the water. Just seems when I watch the premiership that players have a lot more time to stand and find a pass rather than being closed down as soon as they touch the ball.

David Silva is a good example, he is one that stands out in my mind who has ALOT of time on the ball. But as you mentioned, players find their own space.

What a great post. I hope this finally puts to bed the pants argument about 'having more time on the ball' in the Prem. The pace of the game is quicker. Some people are simply in denial, I think.

Makes sense.

Blows my argument out of the water. Just seems when I watch the premiership that players have a lot more time to stand and find a pass rather than being closed down as soon as they touch the ball.

David Silva is a good example, he is one that stands out in my mind who has ALOT of time on the ball. But as you mentioned, players find their own space.

World class players will look like they do because they have analysed the space before they receive the ball (I'd recommend watching Sergio Busquets for this, he learned a lot from Xavi and both of their heads are constantly on a swivel). On top of that defenders will often stand off them as well.

I think we'll play 4-3-3 a lot next year. Kingy thrives in that system. £1.5m is a drop in the ocean, unless he wants to leave I think it would be silly to get rid.

Pearson has said he is an important player for next season and said he doesn't want to sell :)

Where did he say that?

"

Meanwhile, there were incorrect reports yesterday that midfielder Andy King is the subject of a £1.2m bid from Watford.

However, the Mercury understands Watford did make an enquiry about King's availability but were told categorically he was not for sale.

King is coming into the final year of his contract at City and struggled to hold down a regular starting slot last season because of the form of Danny Drinkwater and Matty James.

But King remains very much part of manager Nigel Pearson's plans and is expected to be offered a new contract.

"

"

Meanwhile, there were incorrect reports yesterday that midfielder Andy King is the subject of a £1.2m bid from Watford.

However, the Mercury understands Watford did make an enquiry about King's availability but were told categorically he was not for sale.

King is coming into the final year of his contract at City and struggled to hold down a regular starting slot last season because of the form of Danny Drinkwater and Matty James.

But King remains very much part of manager Nigel Pearson's plans and is expected to be offered a new contract.

"

"

"

Being "not for sale" doesn't necessarily mean he'll not want (or need) to leave.

Of course the chance to play in The Premiership will be tempting but playing and sitting around are two different things at his age.

I agree that City might adopt 4-3-3 on occasions but don't see that'll bring the best out of Kingy because it would only encourage still more of his safety passing instead of the incisive passes of which he's capable but doesn't make so often any more.

If Pearson says he's an important cog that will likely be enough for now but the lad will have to show complete belief in his game to make an impression at Premiership level.

Passing the moving is paramount in The Premiership but it's passing and moving with purpose that makes the difference. King can do both but whether he will - or whether he'll even get much of a chance to - remains to be seen. He's a popular enough person but even at Championship level divides opinion as to how good he is and how worthy of his place.

To me he's become too much of a steady-paced "Jack of All Trades" but needs to be much more our Martin Peters - a guy who makes incisive passes and arrives late to score a goal or two.   

Andy King doesn't get half the credit he deserves. Been a great servant to the club, scored some important and some cracking goals. Would be gutted to see him leave the club as I think he could have a great season in the premier league.

I think he has obvious qualities but isn't anywhere near rounded enough to warrant a starting place in my opinion. To me a central midfielder usually has to at least resemble the complete package but I think he lacks the physicality and the ability to make a difference when in possession to be a regular starter.

Andy King doesn't get half the credit he deserves. Been a great servant to the club, scored some important and some cracking goals. Would be gutted to see him leave the club as I think he could have a great season in the premier league.

what he said!

Championship trio Watford, Wigan and Fulham are all chasing Leicester midfielder Andy King, Sky Sports understands. King is entering the final year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and found himself down the pecking order in Nigel Pearson's starting XI during the second half of last season.

Alot of interest in him!

Championship trio Watford, Wigan and Fulham are all chasing Leicester midfielder Andy King, Sky Sports understands. King is entering the final year of his contract at the King Power Stadium and found himself down the pecking order in Nigel Pearson's starting XI during the second half of last season.

Alot of interest in him!

A lot of people getting told to piss off then

Archived