Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EGBFitness

Mahrez

Mahrez's ratings and rankings so far this season:

7.11 (5) : Everton (H)

6.93 (7) : Chelsea (A)

4.38 (10) : Shrewsbury (H)

7.53 (4) : Arsenal (H)

5.43 (14) : Stoke (A)

4.34 (14) : Palace (A)

7.10 (1) : Burnley (H)

5.11 (1) : Swansea (A)

While I agree with the sentiment that we are missing his creativity right now, lets not pretend he's been immense so far this season. Many seem to have forgotten he was pretty woeful when he came on against Palace and very anonymous at Stoke. I do really rate Riyad but I would only say he's stood out hugely at home to Burnley, the league's worst team. Swansea he was just the most positive player in a negative bunch.

I don't want to put a negative spin on things as I do think he should be playing but I just think some are getting a bit carried away.

While I agree with the sentiment that we are missing his creativity right now, lets not pretend he's been immense so far this season. Many seem to have forgotten he was pretty woeful when he came on against Palace and very anonymous at Stoke. I do really rate Riyad but I would only say he's stood out hugely at home to Burnley, the league's worst team. Swansea he was just the most positive player in a negative bunch.

I don't want to put a negative spin on things as I do think he should be playing but I just think some are getting a bit carried away.

Out of curiosity dude, do you have the average for each player from best to worst (or perhaps top 15)?

Interested to see what the ratings says our best XI is...

Totally missing out the Arsenal match which holds his highest rating?

:nigel:

Out of curiosity dude, do you have the average for each player from best to worst (or perhaps top 15)?

Interested to see what the ratings says our best XI is...

Not easily done without quite a bit of work at the moment. I just look at individual players when articles like this crop up to see how the ratings compare with what people are saying.

Totally missing out the Arsenal match which holds his highest rating?

:nigel:

Thanks that's the first Pearson face I've received, feel like I've been missing out  :D, He must have impressed but I can't remember too much about individual performances in that game to comment on it, slept a few times since then!

Not easily done without quite a bit of work at the moment. I just look at individual players when articles like this crop up to see how the ratings compare with what people are saying.

Thanks that's the first Pearson face I've received, feel like I've been missing out  :D, He must have impressed but I can't remember too much about individual performances in that game to comment on it, slept a few times since then!

I'm honoured to give it out to ya :D.

I'd say that performance and Chelsea were his best ones because of the opponents. Burnley you'd kind of expect him (not to do him a disservice or anything). 

Rubbish. He stood out at Chelsea and also played well against Everton, Arsenal and Burnley. The whole side were woeful first half at Stoke and second half at Palace, not just him. Swansea away was mixed - first half he gave the ball away probably more than anyone else but in the second half he was probably our biggest threat and at least kept trying to make things happen.

He's our most creative player and I can't understand she he's not been used more. Specifically WBA at home- when chasing a game why on earth didn't he come on? If you're a defender the last thing you want to face is a tricky skilful winger. So Pearson brought on Wood! Baffling management.

I desperately hope Mahrez is involved on Saturday

On a different not what has gone on between King and Mahrez because according to the moan in last night something has happened between these which Stringer and his guests knew did Mahrez headbutt King or is it just a case of Stringer making something there that isnt there

Very strange? The manager picks the team if he decides not to play Mahrez that's down to him? What's hypothetical about that?

Unless you or anyone else has a crystal ball who knows what will happen re anybody let alone Mahrez. The manager is responsible for any team picking the players, deploying the tactics team formation etc etc. If it fails and othernpeople can see it's not working why can't anyone be criticised?

A player as good as Mahrez will attract attention from other teams and their managers especially at International level. Surely it is only right that people may speculate re his future rightfully or wrongfully? This is a board surely for exchanging views on any topic? Why like some get all high and mighty if your view differs from others whereby you don't agree?

This is a long standing trait of his. A bit of an oddball, methinks.

It takes all types to keep the world spinning.

We all luv ya really, MC.  :wave:

You make it sound like he's been ostracised from the squad and is training with the reserves. He's been in the squad and, for whatever reason (I assume tactical, probably personal choice as well) hasn't played in the last couple of games. He started two of the previous three, came on at Palace after starting the first four and missed one due to internationals.

If Pearson really didn't want him around he wouldn't be in the squad.

There is a tiny little word that you and MC Prussian must have missed.   "If." It changes both your interpretations drastically.

I'd like to see him play behind the strikers on Saturday if he insists on persisting with the diamond.

Totally agree with this. It would give him the freedom to do what he does best and be creative. At the same I think it would define the other 3 centre mid roles and they wouldn't have to think about all being centre mids, defensive mids, wingers, defenders and attacking mids which they have all seemed to try and fail at in recent matches. It would mean we still don't have the width but should keep the solidity whilst giving the attacking players the chance to flourish. 

Totally agree with this. It would give him the freedom to do what he does best and be creative. At the same I think it would define the other 3 centre mid roles and they wouldn't have to think about all being centre mids, defensive mids, wingers, defenders and attacking mids which they have all seemed to try and fail at in recent matches. It would mean we still don't have the width but should keep the solidity whilst giving the attacking players the chance to flourish.

If Mahrez is on the pitch then he can play at the top of the diamond - or he can switch with one of the CMs and go wide - on their weaker side... this is what he coaches should be doing during he game. We don't have to stick to one formation for each 45 mins!

If Mahrez is on the pitch then he can play at the top of the diamond - or he can switch with one of the CMs and go wide - on their weaker side... this is what he coaches should be doing during he game. We don't have to stick to one formation for each 45 mins!

Again, I'm liking your posts.

Playing a formation AND the players to switch when needed to is key to modern day football.

Playing a midfield of James, Drinky, King, Cambiasso gives no room for this to happen. It's too basic. Either it will work, or it won't..and what do you do with it if it doesn't work.

The fluidity you describe would of course be perfect and that is something I hope we see more and more of, I am just not sure whether we have other midfielders that can be fluid. Judging by what I have seen from the last few games the 4 centre mids have looked lost and haven't known what there roles are and as a result we have looked fragmented and lose the ball each time we get it, simply because we aren't able to transition up the pitch effectively and end up hoofing it for Vardy to chase. Having riyad in front of the 3 (if he persists with 4 centrally gives us an additional outlet and a way to move up the pitch better. I want to see us play wingers (especially at home) but think he will persevere with a formation close to what we have seen to try and keep us more solid

He's a winger, not a 'number 10'.

When will people realise that there's little to no point in playing players out of position?

I don't see many people saying that he's a number 10, just that whilst we're playing a diamond it's necessary to play somebody out of place in that role as we have nobody who naturally fills that slot, and that he's as good a candidate as any.

I don't see many people saying that he's a number 10, just that whilst we're playing a diamond it's necessary to play somebody out of place in that role as we have nobody who naturally fills that slot, and that he's as good a candidate as any.

I just don't see him fitting into that role at all. He's a winger for me. That's it

yeah he's a winger but seen as we're seemingly determined to ignore the fact that wingers exist i'd rather he moved inside than just didn't play at all, being probably our best player an all that 

He's a winger, not a 'number 10'.

When will people realise that there's little to no point in playing players out of position?

Thank you for raising this point. As technically skilled as Mahrez is, he is not physical enough to be a no. 10. He's 5"10' but looks barely 10 stone. 

Archived