Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EGBFitness

Mahrez

Thank you for raising this point. As technically skilled as Mahrez is, he is not physical enough to be a no. 10. He's 5"10' but looks barely 10 stone. 

I don't really see physicality as a necessity for a no.10?? One of the best, if not the best, in the league is 5'8" and I wouldn't describe him as physical?

I don't really see physicality as a necessity for a no.10?? One of the best, if not the best, in the league is 5'8" and I wouldn't describe him as physical?

Allow me to clarify myself. Mahrez is not physical in the sense that he ducks out of tackles. The fact he probably weighs around 10 st has a bearing on his fear of tackles. Players like Xavi, Alonso, Scholes aren't afraid to get stuck in at all. 

Mahrez' built and style of play suits the wings, not in middle of the park.

Allow me to clarify myself. Mahrez is not physical in the sense that he ducks out of tackles. The fact he probably weighs around 10 st has a bearing on his fear of tackles. Players like Xavi, Alonso, Scholes aren't afraid to get stuck in at all. 

Mahrez' built and style of play suits the wings, not in middle of the park.

They're not no.10s though? They're more holding/central midfielders. I'd personally say a no.10 isn't about tackling or getting stuck in. It's about finding the holes, finding space, linking midfield and attack and picking out the forwards. These are all things Mahrez could do well. Especially in a diamond where he has 3 other midfielders behind him who can get stuck in and do the defensive work. I think on the wing he has much more defensive duty, which I agree is definitely not his strong point.

They're not no.10s though? They're more holding/central midfielders. I'd personally say a no.10 isn't about tackling or getting stuck in. It's about finding the holes, finding space, linking midfield and attack and picking out the forwards. These are all things Mahrez could do well. Especially in a diamond where he has 3 other midfielders behind him who can get stuck in and do the defensive work. I think on the wing he has much more defensive duty, which I agree is definitely not his strong point.

True, but you still have to look at work rate too. Oscar is the best example, and the reason why Mourinho got rid of matter as he was a luxury no 10 who did no defensive work. Oscar plays the 10 the way it should be played, he is tenacious too when he wants. I'm not sure at this level we can afford a luxury no 10, which is why Pearson is sticking with a work horse like Nuge or King.

True, but you still have to look at work rate too. Oscar is the best example, and the reason why Mourinho got rid of matter as he was a luxury no 10 who did no defensive work. Oscar plays the 10 the way it should be played, he is tenacious too when he wants. I'm not sure at this level we can afford a luxury no 10, which is why Pearson is sticking with a work horse like Nuge or King.

i think most people would understand the "playing it safe" strategy of using king or even nugent if it was gaining us any points, all we've done playing it safe is lose anyway. especially in a game like saturday's, surely it'd be better to lose like 1-2 giving it a go and having a chance of winning rather than to face another 90 minutes without a shot on target which results in 0 points anyway. 

Agreed. If Nige could get that sort of work rate into Mahrez then I reckon he has all the other attributes to be a quality no.10. If given that freedom I honestly think we'd see a lift in Mahrez's work rate. Depends whether Nige is willing to take the risk. 

i think most people would understand the "playing it safe" strategy of using king or even nugent if it was gaining us any points, all we've done playing it safe is lose anyway. especially in a game like saturday's, surely it'd be better to lose like 1-2 giving it a go and having a chance of winning rather than to face another 90 minutes without a shot on target which results in 0 points anyway. 

This.

The #10 position is literally the last one on the pitch that needs to be physical. I'm quite shocked nobody has pointed this out yet. Lionel Messi anyone?

Oh please don't.

Inb4 "omfgggg comparing Mahrez to Messi omfgggggg"

Inb5 "Messi is acturley reli fisical hur dur hur"

messi's hardly a pussy though. yeah he's small but he doesn't get knocked off the ball very often. 

probably because hardly anyone can catch him tbf 

Inb5 "Messi is acturley reli fisical hur dur hur"

you weren't 

The #10 position is literally the last one on the pitch that needs to be physical. I'm quite shocked nobody has pointed this out yet. Lionel Messi anyone?

I don't think it matters how strong you are if you can keep the ball like Messi can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad really, that we all expect him to be on the bench anyway, but that's the way its been going recently. Woeful decision making.

The last time he had international duty, got back on the Friday and played the next day he was utterly woeful. Lets not forget that.

Archived