Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maddog

Arsenal Pre-Match thread (+poll)

Optimeter The Gunners (H)   

422 members have voted

1. 1. First PL win of season?

This looks decent. Ulloa got dominated by Terry and Cahill last week, how effective is he going to be against Mertesacker. I would fancy Vardy giving Chambers a nightmare, he looked shit against Everton.

To add to that I'd be delighted avoiding defeat.

Personally would think it would be the other way around...

Vardy would dominate mertesacker, whereas ulloa would destroy chambers in the air and with his strength.

A win for them will be the bookies choice and it is hard to see past that really.

A draw would be a great result for us and is possible if we play out of our skins and they are 20% off their very best. Expect to see another match with us struggling to get much possession.

A defeat by more than 2 goals would see us bottom, something we need to avoid at all costs.

Personally would think it would be the other way around...

Vardy would dominate mertesacker, whereas ulloa would destroy chambers in the air and with his strength.

Mertesacker would obviously get beasted by Vardy in terms of pace but he's a very good CB and experienced. From what I've seen from Chambers his lack of experience shows and I think Vardy would ask a lot of questions of him. Like others are saying though, he probably won't be playing.

I can't see Cambiasso starting, given that he's hardly played at all.

I think I'm right in saying that James hasn't been ruled out, but my suspicion is that with the 2-week break coming up Pearson won't risk him in this game if it jeopardises his chances of a full recovery.

It seems highly likely that Albrighton and Hammond will be available, and certainly possible that Drinkwater and Vardy might be available too.

Assuming that is the case, I'd like to see:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Albrighton

Drinkwater

Hammond

Mahrez

Ulloa

Vardy

A couple of points:

1. For me, Drinkwater has to play if he's available. This leaves the question of who should partner him in central midfield. I'm not convinced that playing King and Drinkwater together would work, and I think Hammond would make a better partner. So King would drop to the bench even though he's had 2 good games for us. I know that's tough on him, but Hammond has played well too, let's not forget that.

2. If Vardy is fit, he has to start ahead of Nugent. That isn't just because he missed that one-on-one against Chelsea, it's because Vardy offers something substantively different to Ulloa, as well as the pace to trouble them.

3. Albrighton has to start ahead of Knockaert. One of the reasons why De Laet had such a tough time against Everton was because Knockaert provided hardly any cover. He also still gives the ball away far too often, which we can't afford against Arsenal. Also it seems that Albrighton is the only player in our side who can acutally cross a ball.

4. I'd start Konchesky ahead of Schlupp, because he's a slightly more reliable option. My preference in the long term, however, is to sign a new left back.

Can't believe we will play 4-4-2 against arsenal. we either go 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. Both those would see DD + DH or EC holding with king or nugent ahead in the 3. expect ulloa and vardy to share the 1

Personally, I would prefer to start king breaking forward from the 3 with vardy up top trying to get himself one on one with mertesaker as much as poss. However, because he can't be match fit, I expect us to start with ulloa.

...................kasper

rdl....moore.............morgan....konch

.........Hammond......drinky

.mahrez...........king..............schlupp

.........................Ulloa

I wouldn't risk starting vardy.

Can't believe we will play 4-4-2 against arsenal. we either go 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. Both those would see DD + DH or EC holding with king or nugent ahead in the 3. expect ulloa and vardy to share the 1

Personally, I would prefer to start king breaking forward from the 3 with vardy up top trying to get himself one on one with mertesaker as much as poss. However, because he can't be match fit, I expect us to start with ulloa.

I dunno, I wouldn't be so sure of that.

If we played 4-4-2 away from home against Chelsea, I see no reason why Pearson wouldn't at least consider it at home to Arsenal.

Think that we that we will leave out Vardy, Drinkwater, James, Albrighton and Cambiasso to give them two weeks to get match fit. Sacrifice one point tomorrow to ensure many more in the future!

Surely the two week break gives the perfect opportunity to get over any reactions to playing tomorrow?? James won't make it anyway.

Archived