Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

I rated nugent since coming here, and have thought the stick he gets is unfair.

This is the second time he's played in the premier league, and he failed to impress the first time around, and sadly it looks like the premier league is a division to high, solid player in the championship, but he's said he has something to prove this season, that he can play at the top level, but he looks out of his depth.

Like I say I like him, and hope he can prove he has what it takes, but early signs are not good.

Sorry, he did at good penalties.

Did you miss the 14/15 assists then?

You do realise Nugent doesn't play up front. He's one of those players that plays behind the striker, hence his amount of assists last season.

To constantly single Nugent out is quite baffling actually. 

Was good in the Championship and I'm grateful for it but he's not cutting it at this level.

That said, I'd like to see him up front with Vardy against West Brom, our successful partnership from last year hasn't yet been played. 

He has never cut it at this level.  Nothing against him personally as he seems decent enough off the pitch but he is nowhere even close to Premier League quality.  He is your bog standard English centre forward, plenty of effort but with precious little technical ability or tactical awareness.  A fox-in-the-box.  Perfect for the lower divisions where he can bag plenty through shocking defending but at the highest level, Premier League defenders just eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

He has never cut it at this level. Nothing against him personally as he seems decent enough off the pitch but he is nowhere even close to Premier League quality. He is your bog standard English centre forward, plenty of effort but with precious little technical ability or tactical awareness. A fox-in-the-box. Perfect for the lower divisions where he can bag plenty through shocking defending but at the highest level, Premier League defenders just eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I think he's perfectly tactically aware. Pearson has trusted him now for 18 months to stop the supply into the opposition's midfield.

I think he's perfectly tactically aware. Pearson has trusted him now for 18 months to stop the supply into the opposition's midfield.

Sure, affective in the Championship but shown up in the Premier League.  It's simply not his level.

Sure, affective in the Championship but shown up in the Premier League. It's simply not his level.

So he is tactically aware?

Clearly I don't/can't take issue with the fact that he's not up to it in the premier league - he's clearly not.

I just thought your description of Nugent as a typical English centre forward was very harsh. He's pretty atypical if you ask me; he's a clever player when at a level he can cope at technically.

So he is tactically aware?

Clearly I don't/can't take issue with the fact that he's not up to it in the premier league - he's clearly not.

I just thought your description of Nugent as a typical English centre forward was very harsh. He's pretty atypical if you ask me; he's a clever player when at a level he can cope at technically.

Isn't everybody pretty clever when playing at a level that suits them?    

David nugent has spent most of his career honing his skills playing down the middle on the back four,

playing in that position he has scored some terrific goals, pearson played him deeper last year and that

was one of the reasons vardy improved, and they grew into a good partnership.

people saying he is not good enough for the premiership is conjecture because he has never had the

opportunity of playing in his best position in the premier, harry only played him for a handfull of games

at pompey at right side of midfield and loads of five minute cameos as sub.

he is losing his pace a little now, but he is still a better footballer than alloa or vardy, nigel

will never play him down the middle because vardy and ulloa were his signings,

have some of you guys ever played football?    i wonder i really do.

No..... we know that our top goalscorer of the past two seasons isn't Paul Gallagher dont' we....

Ulloa, Vardy, Nugent... all impotent today.. why? We created Zero..

lol

It's SERVICE... its crap!!!Vardy, Nugent, Ulloa.. it don't matter.

Our midfield creativity is nonexistent. .

Playing 1 up top (not always an issue) with Ulloa leading the line is the problem! No urgency, no pace, no pressing, no playing on the last man. Look at how many goals we scored on the counter last season. Vardy's played one game up front this season, at home to United, bagged one and got four assists for crying out loud. £7million man or not, Jamie Vardy is a more pivotal striker.

Playing 1 up top (not always an issue) with Ulloa leading the line is the problem! No urgency, no pace, no pressing, no playing on the last man. Look at how many goals we scored on the counter last season. Vardy's played one game up front this season, at home to United, bagged one and got four assists for crying out loud. £7million man or not, Jamie Vardy is a more pivotal striker.

:thumbup:

Just had this very same conversation with my son.

Not playing Vardy as a pivotal striker is unforgivable really. He's an out and out striker. In the same mould as a Michael Owen.. Playing off the last man, using his pace etc...

Against the Baggies, I want us to revert to what we know and do best. 4-4-2. Harassing, chasing, Nugent and Vardy playing off each other (that partnership thing..)

Mahrez one side, Knockeart the other, Schlupp at left back to give pace and balance on BOTH wings.

Drinkwater and King in the middle.

That's what I'd like to see.

100% CORRECT

It's been mentioned before but at the minute Pearson is getting it tactically wrong and it's a case of 'square pegs in round holes'

Upfront he needs to pick two of Vardy, Ulloa and Nugent and stick with that partnership for at least three or four games, and bring the third one on as an impact sub when one of the two are under performing or tiring. Rather than trying to please all three by starting them all and sticking one of them out on the wing, which is impacting our performances big time.

Same goes for central midfield, we have five centre mids fighting for two, possibly three places depending on our set up but after 9 games Pearson doesn't know his best two centre mids or two strikers.

I think this is the first time in Pearson's managerial career he has got too many good players in some positions he wants in his first XI and he doesn't want to leave any of them out, therefore plays them all, sometimes out of position and it's currently costing us.

This is something new to Pearson, but something he has to change immediately and go back to basics like last season and play 4-4-2 and play players in their natural position, make some tough decisions for Saturday and drop one striker and one centre mid and stick at it.

:thumbup:

Just had this very same conversation with my son.

Not playing Vardy as a pivotal striker is unforgivable really. He's an out and out striker. In the same mould as a Michael Owen.. Playing off the last man, using his pace etc...

Against the Baggies, I want us to revert to what we know and do best. 4-4-2. Harassing, chasing, Nugent and Vardy playing off each other (that partnership thing..)

Mahrez one side, Knockeart the other, Schlupp at left back to give pace and balance on BOTH wings.

Drinkwater and King in the middle.

That's what I'd like to see.

Yes. Schlupp at left back :thumbup: Mahrez and Knockaert wide :thumbup:

Centre midfield is up for debate but Drinkwater should be the first name on the teamsheet for me. I'd have Matty Hamez in there but the loss-loss situation there is that he's not match fit but needs game time to get fit as last season proved.

I like nugent. Decent player and always puts in the effort. But quite frankly he hasnt been good enough. I think we need to go back to what we know best.

Kasper

De Laet   Morgan   Moore   Schluup

Mahrez   Drinkwater   Cambiasso   Knockaert

Ulloa   Vardy

I wouldnt begrudge having Nugent partner Vardy up front as it clearly worked last season but with Ulloa scoring for fun at the start of the season i think he will score again given the service which he hasnt been getting whilst being the lone striker.

If i see Vardy on the wing of a front 3 again im gonna go berserk.

Also at home i think we need both fullbacks to be joining the attack so would like to see Schluup play at LB. Konch has been decent overall this season but i think we need to have more pace in our fullbacks especially at home.

Im not too keen on Knockaert as i dont think he helps track back but as an attacking point of view Schluup and Knockaert on the left is decent but having Konch and Schluup on the left wouldnt be the end of the world.

I just pray that we gone with 2 strikers up top.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived