Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The roads round us (Glen Parva) really are a fookin disgrace. Pot-holes everywhere. They try to do a temporary fix on them, but it lasts no more than weeks.

It’s a nightmare to vehicles. You pay a fortune on your nice cars and bikes, only to get them wrecked by pot holes, speed bumps and the like.

Disgraceful.

On 15/03/2018 at 18:45, Buce said:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buce said:

Just fix the ****ing roads. The city and county councils would rather spend less on repairs than on compensation claims, because they're always less likely to have to pay out on compo. They're shit. I hate councillors, they don't care about anything but their positions.

Edited by Parafox

18 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I lost count of how many cars I overtook on the inside lane of the M1 today.

You mean undertook?

It's annoying as hell, slow cars in the fast lane, especially when the inside lane is clear but undertaking is still illegal and dangerous.

I'm driving up the motorway a lot more these days and it does seem to be worse. 4 lanes on some stretches and the inside 2 are completely free and some people are cruising along in the outside lanes at less than 70.  In Spain they have a minimum speed limit for the outside lanes would welcome that here. The problem is that people in general just  drive really selfishly, you have a ton of lorries in the inside lane (don't get me started on lorries overtaking other lorries), then selfish drivers in the middle lanes that don't pay attention to the road making it difficult to change lanes if you are in the inside lane, then boy racers flying up the outside lane. If you drive properly, moving back to the inside lane you end up boxed in so  why bother, nobody else does, the benefit of changing lanes is to other drivers and the inconvenience is all yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

You mean undertook?

It's annoying as hell, slow cars in the fast lane, especially when the inside lane is clear but undertaking is still illegal and dangerous.

I'm driving up the motorway a lot more these days and it does seem to be worse. 4 lanes on some stretches and the inside 2 are completely free and some people are cruising along in the outside lanes at less than 70.  In Spain they have a minimum speed limit for the outside lanes would welcome that here. The problem is that people in general just  drive really selfishly, you have a ton of lorries in the inside lane (don't get me started on lorries overtaking other lorries), then selfish drivers in the middle lanes that don't pay attention to the road making it difficult to change lanes if you are in the inside lane, then boy racers flying up the outside lane. If you drive properly, moving back to the inside lane you end up boxed in so  why bother, nobody else does, the benefit of changing lanes is to other drivers and the inconvenience is all yours.

I'm still overtaking but on the inside lane...:cool:

It's at it worst when you enter the M1.  You drive up to 70, nothing wrong in that, but then join on the inside lane doing 70, while people on the next lane across are doing less.

It doesn't matter what car I'm in either.  I always used to think the bigger the car, the more likely people will move out of the way.  However, this has proven to be incorrect in the 4x4 I drive.  So far. lol

8 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm still overtaking but on the inside lane...:cool:

It's at it worst when you enter the M1.  You drive up to 70, nothing wrong in that, but then join on the inside lane doing 70, while people on the next lane across are doing less.

It doesn't matter what car I'm in either.  I always used to think the bigger the car, the more likely people will move out of the way.  However, this has proven to be incorrect in the 4x4 I drive.  So far. lol

I know, it is just bizarre sometimes, the inside 2 lanes are completely empty and you still get people pootling along in the 3rd lane of 4, I'm a big fan of the overtake in the outside lane, the swing back down across 4 lanes to the inside lane in a really passive aggressive manner.

I  also assume your a big fan of those that  brake in front of you to slow down to 70 under every single bridge with a speed camera on between Leicester and London. I just want to scream at them, those cameras only work when they are have a variable speed check. When it is clear you don't have to brake every 5 minutes!!

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I also assume your a big fan of those that  brake in front of you to slow down to 70 under every single bridge with a speed camera on between Leicester and London. I just want to scream at them, those cameras only work when they are have a variable speed check. When it is clear you don't have to brake every 5 minutes!!

Actually this is not necessarily the case. The new smart cameras (yellow boxes on left hand side of the gantries) might be 'live' (I will use the term 'live' to denote where the camera is active when the speed limit is not stated on the overheads).

There is no law which stipulates that the speed signs must be on for the cameras to be live. Thus they can be set at say 77mph when the speed signs are blank (figure used for sake of argument). It is the guidance given by the National Police Chiefs Council that they are not turned on unless the speed limit signs are active (they also advise on 10% +2mph for the trigger point on cameras).

This is only guidance. This leads to a problem where different policing counties can do their own thing. Thus one section of the M1 could become 'live' tomorrow morning without warning (or setting their own trigger points on cameras - for example a strict 71mph).

This then leads to the situation when you are trying to remember which county you are in if you know one county you are going through is 'live'.

The mercury recently stated that the cameras on the M1 in Derby are permanently 'live.'

In the summer I regularly do a late night dash around the M25 and up the M1. I look ahead at the gantries and I control the speed of my car by using the accelerator (lifting off) to go past all those with the yellow cameras. Those who brake are just clueless. The yellow cameras are what you need to look for. They sit on a shelf on the left hand side. Also remember health and safety/other constraints. They wont be on gantries which sit right on the edge of a motorway (ie a fence) as they will hang over into someone elses land. They will also wont be positioned on a gantry less than 300 yards before or on a junction.

I have never received a speeding ticket... 

Funny story - 'got caught' going through one in coventry. Thought "bollxks". Then discovered that the council/police had turned them all off a number of years prior...?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I do it every day going to work and back. Absolute joke. People sitting in the middle lane. But there's never a Police car around to tell them how to drive properly. 

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I do it every day going to work and back. Absolute joke. People sitting in the middle lane. But there's never a Police car around to tell them how to drive properly. 

can you not go in to the outside lane of them and overtake them normally?

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

can you not go in to the outside lane of them and overtake them normally?

Yeah I do that obviously but if, for example, I’m getting off at the next junction nd they’re just sat in the middle. So annoying.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

On 18/03/2018 at 19:48, Legend_in_blue said:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can legally undertake in these circumstances.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q891.htm

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

Good info on those gantries.

This term "smart motorway" is ever so clever.  Very "smart" at catching unaware motorists and bringing in the cash.  Last trip up the M1 and one of those cameras flashed someone a couple of times going in the opposite direction.  They're not in the gantries, they're set off the road, off the lay-bys and are painted yellow.  They will get you if you're not smart enough to see them.  The ones in the gantries I'm not aware of, people seem to steam through those at 80+, no problem.  Nothing of note happens.

As soon as it goes to 4 lanes people are even more clueless than when it is 3.  In fact the middle lane hoarders tend to stay in the 3rd lane, leaving two lanes spare instead of one.

43 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This term "smart motorway" is ever so clever.  Very "smart" at catching unaware motorists and bringing in the cash.  Last trip up the M1 and one of those cameras flashed someone a couple of times going in the opposite direction.  They're not in the gantries, they're set off the road, off the lay-bys and are painted yellow.  They will get you if you're not smart enough to see them.  The ones in the gantries I'm not aware of, people seem to steam through those at 80+, no problem.  Nothing of note happens.

As soon as it goes to 4 lanes people are even more clueless than when it is 3.  In fact the middle lane hoarders tend to stay in the 3rd lane, leaving two lanes spare instead of one.

I don't know how you can miss those new cameras if you're paying attention at your surroundings. 

Those who speed across busy A-roads to get to the middle, just seconds before you cross where they came across.

The A46, just near the old Park Hill Golf Club, is quite well-known for this type of situation.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 22:08, Legend_in_blue said:

Is there a time delay on those cameras from when the speed limit flashes up and the camera becomes active?

I may have been caught on the way to London on Thursday. The limit was showing as 60 as I approached but was switched to 50 as I got too close to slow down and there was a flash to my left. I was doing 60 on cruise control.

I'm expecting a fine and points.

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Those who speed across busy A-roads to get to the middle, just seconds before you cross where they came across.

The A46, just near the old Park Hill Golf Club, is quite well-known for this type of situation.

As is the High Cross junction on the A5

6 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525

Article about blindingly bright headlights and I quite agree, it sometimes feels like I might be safer wearing sunglasses when commuting on a busy motorway on a dark morning or evening.

4 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

I've experienced the temporary dazzling from bright oncoming headlights before. Not at all pleasant, nor safe. I try to combat it by looking away rather than being lured, rabbit like, to gaze into them!

There's a lobby group called Lightmare that is trying to campaign to get this problem brought to the attention of road safety organisations...

http://www.roadsafetyknowledgecentre.org.uk/organisations/lightmare.html

It seems to be a bigger problem with oncoming 4x4 and MPV's

Edited by Parafox

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

Is there a time delay on those cameras from when the speed limit flashes up and the camera becomes active?

I may have been caught on the way to London on Thursday. The limit was showing as 60 as I approached but was switched to 50 as I got too close to slow down and there was a flash to my left. I was doing 60 on cruise control.

I'm expecting a fine and points.

I have no idea about this.

For the 50mph limit you should be ok at 57.  60 is pushing it.  You might be ok.  They're ****'s though at catching out unsuspecting people like us.

It's the cvnts who know exactly what is what and slam the brakes on when approaching the fixed cameras then speed off 10 yards later.  The camera past Silverstone is notorious for that.  Just on top of the hill on the A43.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Parafox said:

There's a lobby group called Lightmare that is trying to campaign to get this problem brought to the attention of road safety organisations...

http://www.roadsafetyknowledgecentre.org.uk/organisations/lightmare.html

It seems to be a bigger problem with oncoming 4x4 and MPV's

I think the problem is with car lights in general.  These new LED clusters are all about how they look than how they function imo.  Indicator lights on many new cars are barely visible at all.

• Like 1

People who park next to you in a supermarket car park when it’s virtually empty.

In sainsburys about an hour ago car park is virtually empty. Come back to my car and someone has parked so close to me that we had to pull out so we could just get the passenger door open. 

Shame they had such a crap car else I would have left little scratch on it.

Edited by Steve_Walsh5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1