Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Driving down the A47 Saturday. Steady stream of about 8/9 cars - I'm just behind some nob in a ferrari. Obviously you get the concertina effect, gaps closing and reopening as cars at the front take a turn off. So, my gap to the ferrari closes a little bit. Well off tailgating - about 1.5 car lengths to him. But, I'm assuming he didn't like that for some incomprehensible reason because he then immediately slams on his brakes as the cars in front all carry on as they were, forcing me to slam my brakes on. Then proceeds to do the willy puller gesture in his mirror and speeds back up and catches the other cars...

Beautiful karma though when he decides he doesn't want to be in traffic anymore and flies past them all at 80-odd in a 60 zone, right past a speed camera. 

• Like 1

I'm getting fed up with other drivers at a non-traffic light controlled crossroads turning right as I'm going straight on, nearly causing a collision.

In fact it happens so often that I began to question my understanding of who has priority, so I googled it:

The general rule for priorities when emerging from crossroads is that right turning traffic should give way to oncoming traffic. The vehicle with the priority in the following examples is the same as if the two minor side roads were one major road, however do not assume that the other driver will comply.

Priorities at crossroads

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm getting fed up with other drivers at a non-traffic light controlled crossroads turning right as I'm going straight on, nearly causing a collision.

In fact it happens so often that I began to question my understanding of who has priority, so I googled it:

The general rule for priorities when emerging from crossroads is that right turning traffic should give way to oncoming traffic. The vehicle with the priority in the following examples is the same as if the two minor side roads were one major road, however do not assume that the other driver will comply.

Priorities at crossroads

I always got taught that the vehicle which needs to cross another vehicles intended path always gives way, aside from roundabouts or unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Some utter cvnt at the top of Abbey Lane about to turn right onto Burley's way (right most lane) stops dead before the junction while the light's on green indicating left. Fvcking muppet. You can't go anywhere other than right at this point, so just keep going.

Every day I queue up Soar Valley Way to cross Lutterworth Rd, towards the pork pie on the way home. And every day at least one car undertakes the queue in the left turn only lane and cuts in at the last minute to go straight on. It winds me up way more than it probably should. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Every day I queue up Soar Valley Way to cross Lutterworth Rd, towards the pork pie on the way home. And every day at least one car undertakes the queue in the left turn only lane and cuts in at the last minute to go straight on. It winds me up way more than it probably should. 

No it's fine. They should be killed with a laser

• Haha 1

Was driving in town two days ago on a three lane road where the Charlotte used to be. I'm in the right hand lane, and some utter twonk in the middle lane just pulls straight across infront of me and turns right, didnt evrn indicate or anything, completely oblivious to the fact I nearly smashed right into the side of him as he pulls across sideways infront of me

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Bloody hell that infuriates me too. It's bad enough rolling all the way up Soar Valley Way at 5mph without watching these bastards do that.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Bloody hell that infuriates me too. It's bad enough rolling all the way up Soar Valley Way at 5mph without watching these bastards do that.

Get yersen a scooter, push a button to fold in your wing mirrors and simply filter through the traffic. I estimate my Burgman saves me anything up to 30 mins trying to get home.

E68C1F19-E47F-48B1-89AF-573988D473DA.jpeg

Drivers who can't overtake cyclists without crawling along behind them for ages waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic that allows them to leave the lane completely while they pass. If it's a large vehicle like a bus or an HGV I get it but I got stuck behind a bleeding micra doing it earlier - worst bit is they were only in front of me because I did them the favour of letting them merge from a side road which I know to be a bitch getting out of at rush hour.  Grr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Get yersen a scooter, push a button to fold in your wing mirrors and simply filter through the traffic. I estimate my Burgman saves me anything up to 30 mins trying to get home.

E68C1F19-E47F-48B1-89AF-573988D473DA.jpeg

That would be great for work, but how do I take the children out at the weekends? ? 

55 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Drivers who can't overtake cyclists without crawling along behind them for ages waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic that allows them to leave the lane completely while they pass. If it's a large vehicle like a bus or an HGV I get it but I got stuck behind a bleeding micra doing it earlier - worst bit is they were only in front of me because I did them the favour of letting them merge from a side road which I know to be a bitch getting out of at rush hour.  Grr.

http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.com/p/overtaking-cyclists.html?m=1

Even though that’s the law/Highway Code?

Petrol stations.   I use the A5 quite a bit ..   out of Lutterworth where you join the A5 it’s £1.30 for diesel ...    further on its £1.40 ..   and when you join the A43 it’s gone up to £1.43 ...   just don’t seem right to me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.com/p/overtaking-cyclists.html?m=1

Even though that’s the law/Highway Code?

"give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you  would when overtaking a car"

You're only about a metre away from a car when overtaking on an average road, kind of ambiguously worded if they actually do mean move fully into the oncoming lane.

13 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just put yourself across both lanes.

9 minutes ago, potter3 said:

"give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you  would when overtaking a car"

You're only about a metre away from a car when overtaking on an average road, kind of ambiguously worded if they actually do mean move fully into the oncoming lane.

I leave about 3-4 inches when overtaking a car. 

5 hours ago, potter3 said:

That’s why there is a handy picture to make it clear. It is clear that so many drivers don’t actually know the rules of the road I include myself in this I passed my test nearly 20 years ago and have forgotten so many things/never knew/not kept up to date with changes.

16 hours ago, Captain... said:

That’s why there is a handy picture to make it clear. It is clear that so many drivers don’t actually know the rules of the road I include myself in this I passed my test nearly 20 years ago and have forgotten so many things/never knew/not kept up to date with changes.

If you took that road position when overtaking a car you'd hardly be a few inches away from a car. If they intended you to fully move into the next lane, I don't see why they wouldn't explicitly state that.

It's fine to not leave the lane fully, so long as you leave at least a metre gap and don't cut right in front. So annoying when you have some chump behind you refusing to overtake despite ample opportunity, just makes the queue of drivers behind them frustrated and more likely to overtake like dickheads themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Closest I’ve ever been to a major collision happened about an hour ago. M1 southbound, about half a mile after J23.

Had literally just come on at J23 and was doing 70 in the inside lane. Some hatchback is in the middle lane in front of me doing about 60, and a white van comes bombing up the middle lane up said hatchback’s arse. I’m easing off to try and get him to pull across in front of me, when the van swerved directly in to me!

I’ve slammed the brakes on and swerved out of his way, and pretty much closed my eyes and braced. Didn’t even think to get near the horn, but must have missed him by six inches tops. Ended up at a standstill on the hard shoulder and the cvnt has gunned it up the inside lane.

****ing shaking with anger and adrenaline the rest of the way home. Don’t suppose any of yous saw this happen?

• Like 1