Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 06:52, HighPeakFox said:

People on rural two way roads, that seem to drive in a manner that assumes that nothing will be coming the other way, and act offended when my car has the temerity to exist, thus reminding them that they are in actual fact a bit of a c**t. Happens to me pretty much every day. 

Yeah, coming round an opposing bend (your bend to the left, theirs to their right) and there they are, straddling the white centre line forcing you to evade to your left. Knobheads with no driving skill because they don't anticipate and therefore have their speed wrong to negotiate the bend. They seem to think they're on a racetrack where there's no oncoming traffic, so it's ok to cut a bend. It's not. 

I've been to so many crashes, some fatal, that are the result of, primarily, excessive speed, poor judgement, poor anticipation, poor positioning, distraction, over-confidence, ignorance, arrogance (a biggy), inexperience and age, both young and old. 

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Yeah, coming round an opposing bend (your bend to the left, theirs to their right) and there they are, straddling the white centre line forcing you to evade to your left. Knobheads with no driving skill because they don't anticipate and therefore have their speed wrong to negotiate the bend. They seem to think they're on a racetrack where there's no oncoming traffic, so it's ok to cut a bend. It's not. 

I've been to so many crashes, some fatal, that are the result of, primarily, excessive speed, poor judgement, poor anticipation, poor positioning, distraction, over-confidence, ignorance, arrogance (a biggy), inexperience and age, both young and old. 

It's it just bends mate, there's plenty I've met driving down the middle of a straight bit if road, and they have to adjust their position when you come to pass them.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

It's it just bends mate, there's plenty I've met driving down the middle of a straight bit if road, and they have to adjust their position when you come to pass them.

Yeah, wandering over the centre line because they're distracted, unobservant or have no judgement. I find a lot of female drivers do this and it seems they seem to think their car is wider than it is.

The above posts remind me of a few years back when a young bloke in a Golf GTI came hurtling towards me in the middle of a country lane. He just missed me and as I looked in my rear mirror I thought there's no way he's taking the oncoming corner at that speed without rolling it over.

My instinct said turn back and check and sure enough he was in the bottom of the ditch. The car was a wreck but miraculously he wasn't badly injured. I was so angry at him that I was shouting abuse down at him telling him how fvckin stupid he was. I waited while he rang the emergency services then left him in his mangled wreck feeling sorry for himself. Twat.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 14:14, RonnieTodger said:

Didn't annoy me, but there was a bunch of people on Soar Valley Way pavement yesterday evening and an overturned bicycle. I thought someone had a bad fall, but they were crouched down next to a massive goose. Really odd.

Maybe they just wanted to have a gander?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The above posts remind me of a few years back when a young bloke in a Golf GTI came hurtling towards me in the middle of a country lane. He just missed me and as I looked in my rear mirror I thought there's no way he's taking the oncoming corner at that speed without rolling it over.

My instinct said turn back and check and sure enough he was in the bottom of the ditch. The car was a wreck but miraculously he wasn't badly injured. I was so angry at him that I was shouting abuse down at him telling him how fvckin stupid he was. I waited while he rang the emergency services then left him in his mangled wreck feeling sorry for himself. Twat.

Reminds me of a bit of dashcam footage that was doing the rounds a few years back where this young lad races past the cam car on a country lane then loses control around a corner. When we catch up to him he's upside down in the ditch on the other side of the road and our driver (who turns out to be a mum & her kid) comes to a stop to check if he's ok (he's taken a knock to his pride and his vehicle but nothing else) then starts effing and jeffing at him. :D I tried to find the vid in question but I'm not having any luck.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

Persistent jabbing/stabbing the brake for no reason, unnecessary braking and braking around corners or at the slightest hint of a curve. 

Going downhill (not in a town Centre or anything like that but when it's open), that's an annoying one for me too. 

Edited by Fox92

Driving out of town down Welford road past the gym, so you have the newly installed bike lane down the left hand side that's now removed a lane... what do you have? A cyclist riding in the right hand lane, essentially making that lane useless and making Welford road out of town at rush hour one lane, because you still have idiots parked in the left hand lane. 

Nice one Pete. 

• Like 1

People who don't pull in to the left when the lane is clear - standard annoyance.

Also, on motorways, people who don't / can't keep to a steady speed when the road is essentially pretty clear.

I click on to a set speed (usually about 80). You overtake people, then later on they overtake you, then you overtake them again etc.

Maybe it's just who doesn't understand why drivers speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down when they don't need to.

Some absolute tool driving an Audi yesterday driving along the dual carriageway up towards Newark from Leicester.  I was overtaking a lorry at about 65mph, lorry going perhaps just under 60.  I'd of overtook faster but ya know, was proper windy so I was a bit cautious.

Anyhow this Audi driver is racing up towards me as I'm overaking, at a guess doing 85 .  Obviously has to slow right down to wait for me to pass.  Gives me his lights as if I'm gonna go any faster.  Whole thing was about 10 seconds long at best.

I pull over when past and the Audi driver overtakes , pulls straight in front of me and drops his speed down to 50, causing me to brake and probably piss off the lorry I'd just overtook.

Then he does off again.  I mean seriously, what's the point!

On 13/10/2018 at 21:09, Facecloth said:

I seem to remember something in my Highway Code years ago saying that on narrow country roads you should drive down the middle. I can’t find anything now but other people posting that they remember being told the same thing. I don’t because it seems pointless you drive on the left so keep left, but I remember it being in the Highway Code/theory booklet.

Edited by Captain...

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I seem to remember something in my Highway Code years ago saying that on narrow country roads you should drive down the middle. I can’t find anything now but other people posting that they remember being told the same thing. I don’t because it seems pointless you drive on the left so keep left, but I remember it being in the Highway Code/theory booklet.

I can't say I remember anything like that - the only thing vaguely similar that I remember being told is the road positioning for bends to maximize your view (and to reduce the tightness of the turn). To the left of the lane for right handers, and to the right of the lane for left handers - saying that I'm pretty sure you were still supposed to keep to your lane rather than actually cross into the opposing lane. 

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thoroughly recommend everyone gets themselves over to Cambodia, absolute madness on the roads. It turns out that they don’t really have a designated side to drive on.

Stopped at a service station and someone is literally taking a shit on the floor in front of me. Would never happen in the M n S at Toddington.

Yes I’ll just hop over to Cambodia to try out driving on their roads. (And watching someone taking a dump!)

:D

12 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Honestly if anyone would want to give driving a go over here I will pay for their flight, FUC K THAT.

So I just have to agree to a bit of driving and you'll sort me a holiday? I'll pm my deets in a minute.