Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

11 hours ago, Kopic said:

Great, thank you. I quite like a drink but my girlfriend doesn't so interesting bars etc arent too high up our list. Usually I just enjoy trying the local beers from the supermarkets!

We do both quite like museums etc so that might be good. We're staying in an area called Uzupis which is apparently an independent old town, so should be a decent few days away. I'm expecting it to be quite cold, hopefully get a bit of snow which would be nice.

I actually recently got an email from Bolt giving me £20 international credit so that may sort us out for the trip, thanks for letting me know they are there as I probably wouldn't have checked. Usually always use uber wherever I am in Europe. I believe they also have one of those electric scooter rental schemes, we've used them in poland and explored far more than we would've without them, so may look out for them.

Thanks again.

Sounds good, if the weathers not too icy try and walk up to the castle tower, that'll give you good views across the city, I think it was around 4-5 euros to go in and get to the top.

They were doing some construction work there when I went (September 2019) so I had to walk up quite a steep cobbled path, if it's looking like a no go then there was this pod thing that took people up to entrance, my guess is it'd be a couple of euros to use. 

One last place worth a mention, I saw this on my drive down to Vilnius, it is around 2 hours away unfortunately but should you do anything that'd lead you in this direction on your trip then it's worth seeing. 

https://matadornetwork.com/read/lithuania-hill-of-crosses/

Other than that I hope you both have a great time. If you have any last minute questions before you go feel free to drop me a message and i'll help. 

• Thanks 1

Some cheap flights sent to me from Jacks Flight club if anyone thinking of going to USA. You'll need to book these quickly as they dont last. 

To:

Los Angeles (LAX) - £264
San Francisco (SFO) - £307
New York City (NYC) - £266
Chicago (ORD) - £295
Boston (BOS) - £313
Washington DC (IAD) - £313

London (LHR)
London (LCY)
Manchester (MAN)
Birmingham (BHX)
Glasgow (GLA)
Edinburgh (EDI)
Travel Dates: April - June & August - November (with some additional winter dates on London routes)

Airline: Star Alliance carriers: Lufthansa, United, Air Canada, Austrian, SAS, Swiss

Standard Fare: £750 (in August)

Bags: Carry-on and personal item included. Checked bag costs extra.

Book by: The August prices could go within 24 hours

Here's how to book:

1. Head to Google Flights and use their handy calendar tool to find the best travel dates for your route, by locating the dates with the lowest fares (those highlighted in green). If you prefer to book directly, then follow the link to the airline website and book.

Note: In most cases, TravelUp matches the lowest fares on these routes. You can then get these flights down by an additional £25 by going through them directly and using our Premium member perk, by entering "JFCPREMIUM" at check out. As always, we take no kickbacks or commissions here, all of the benefits go to you.

Good to know:

- If you're new here, read our guide to learn how to combine Google Flights and Skyscanner or Momondo to find cheap flights.

- Deals can go at anytime. If you've checked our example links and couldn't find any more dates at the deal price using the instructions above, it's likely to have expired.

- Our general guide on how to find cheap flights.

ab20116421466258a0175adbd04684f0.png?r=1339611172

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Some cheap flights sent to me from Jacks Flight club if anyone thinking of going to USA. You'll need to book these quickly as they dont last. 

To:

Los Angeles (LAX) - £264
San Francisco (SFO) - £307
New York City (NYC) - £266
Chicago (ORD) - £295
Boston (BOS) - £313
Washington DC (IAD) - £313

London (LHR)
London (LCY)
Manchester (MAN)
Birmingham (BHX)
Glasgow (GLA)
Edinburgh (EDI)
Travel Dates: April - June & August - November (with some additional winter dates on London routes)

Airline: Star Alliance carriers: Lufthansa, United, Air Canada, Austrian, SAS, Swiss

Standard Fare: £750 (in August)

Bags: Carry-on and personal item included. Checked bag costs extra.

Book by: The August prices could go within 24 hours

Here's how to book:

1. Head to Google Flights and use their handy calendar tool to find the best travel dates for your route, by locating the dates with the lowest fares (those highlighted in green). If you prefer to book directly, then follow the link to the airline website and book.

Note: In most cases, TravelUp matches the lowest fares on these routes. You can then get these flights down by an additional £25 by going through them directly and using our Premium member perk, by entering "JFCPREMIUM" at check out. As always, we take no kickbacks or commissions here, all of the benefits go to you.

Good to know:

- If you're new here, read our guide to learn how to combine Google Flights and Skyscanner or Momondo to find cheap flights.

- Deals can go at anytime. If you've checked our example links and couldn't find any more dates at the deal price using the instructions above, it's likely to have expired.

- Our general guide on how to find cheap flights.

Literally just planning my first trip to the US at the moment for late this year so thanks for this! 

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

12 minutes ago, BeardyFox said:

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Croatia is really nice, it's around 3 hours away and you can easily pick up a flight from East Mids or Birmingham (assuming you live in Leics).

There's the obvious town of Dubrovnik which is worth seeing however there is also many options for visiting some of the smaller islands off the coast if you don't want to be amongst the tourists 24/7. They can easily be reached within 30-45 minutes on a boat.

Also further up North there's Split which I have no been to but I've heard good things about there and also Plitvice which is a national park close by.

Montenegro is within 1hr30 of Dubrovnik by car, if you can vaguely see my picture that's where it was taken in Kotor. It's a small old town but has fantastic mountain views all around within a coastal bay. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BeardyFox said:

Sicily is amazing - combination of beautiful coastline with great history and culture. 

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Any chance you could DM me what you're expecting it to cost you in total if that's not too personal. Is it just you and your kid or another adult as well? 

Me, wife and 2 year old. Park tickets for under a certain age are free, but I'll try and get some figures for you and DM.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, E.Rose said:

Can anyone recommend which out of BA, Virgin Atlantic and Delta are best to fly with when travelling to the US?

I'd assume it would be Virgin Atlantic but I was wondering what anyone else's views would be. 

Thank you

I don't think there would be a massive difference. Heard mixed reviews about Virgin with a lot saying the interior of their planes seem outdated but to be honest I would be choosing my flight only based on price rather than company. Any longhaul plan will be good enough. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2020 at 12:55, ousefox said:

Going to Berlin for the weekend on Friday. Any tips I won't find at the top of TripAdvisor?

Scheers Schnitzel is a great locals' schnitzel place at the end of the East Side Gallery, and just over the river from a few decent bars.

Brauhaus Georgbraeu also excellent for home-brewed beer and a bite to eat by the river.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The Spotted Pig is located just off Bleecker Street (which is a great area within Greenwich Village). On this street, there is a bar called Bling Tiger which is absolutely superb on craft beer. 

Cheers added to the list

1 hour ago, E.Rose said:

Can anyone recommend which out of BA, Virgin Atlantic and Delta are best to fly with when travelling to the US?

I'd assume it would be Virgin Atlantic but I was wondering what anyone else's views would be. 

Thank you

Just not BA! In my experience, so rude and arrogant, really is worth paying a bit extra for decent service, especially as there's so much competition on routes to the US

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2020 at 10:31, Unabomber said:

Already sorted accommodation cheers now looking at things to do, places to eat and drink etc.

If you drink wine I'd definitely head to Corkbuzz (https://www.corkbuzz.com/). We had a great time there and had our own sommelier. Riverpark was a fantastic restaurant we went too as well, great views over the river (https://www.riverparknyc.com/).

We went in September and did a few rooftop bars, not sure what good they'd be in March but these were all class...

https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/

http://www.havenrooftop.com/gallery/

https://theknickerbocker.com/dine/st-cloud/

https://www.1hotels.com/brooklyn-bridge/taste/harrietsrooftop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

I don't think there would be a massive difference. Heard mixed reviews about Virgin with a lot saying the interior of their planes seem outdated but to be honest I would be choosing my flight only based on price rather than company. Any longhaul plan will be good enough. 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Just not BA! In my experience, so rude and arrogant, really is worth paying a bit extra for decent service, especially as there's so much competition on routes to the US

Thanks both of you 👍
I think i'll steer clear of BA in that case. It'll be another solo trip for me so I don't want the risk of rude staff putting me on edge. 

2 minutes ago, E.Rose said:

Thanks both of you 👍
I think i'll steer clear of BA in that case. It'll be another solo trip for me so I don't want the risk of rude staff putting me on edge. 

Well if it makes any difference i've used BA countless times (once going to USA) and they were absolutely fine and not rude. But then I mean all you're doing is getting on a plane and sitting on it and waiting. Can't say I needed any help on anything in particular. 

1 hour ago, Simi said:

If you drink wine I'd definitely head to Corkbuzz (https://www.corkbuzz.com/). We had a great time there and had our own sommelier. Riverpark was a fantastic restaurant we went too as well, great views over the river (https://www.riverparknyc.com/).

We went in September and did a few rooftop bars, not sure what good they'd be in March but these were all class...

https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/

http://www.havenrooftop.com/gallery/

https://theknickerbocker.com/dine/st-cloud/

https://www.1hotels.com/brooklyn-bridge/taste/harrietsrooftop

Thanks mate think we will definitely go to bar 65. Did you reserve there? Also drinks or just food and is there a dress code? 

2 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Well if it makes any difference i've used BA countless times (once going to USA) and they were absolutely fine and not rude. But then I mean all you're doing is getting on a plane and sitting on it and waiting. Can't say I needed any help on anything in particular. 

I know the situation is literally as easy as that, getting on a plane and sitting down but as I am in my 20's and I travel on my own 99% of the time I like plan in advance and have some idea of what I'll be letting myself in for, good or bad. 

Whilst i'm not afraid of travelling around the world on my own I still get anxious and personally, I like to make things as easy as I can for myself. Asking people to provide some feedback which has so far lead to an outcome that suggests there may not be a great deal of difference still helps a lot. :) 

3 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thank you

Not used Delta but used Virgin and BA loads of times to the US. Both perfectly fine so always go with the cheapest. If similar prices I'd go with the one with better flight times. 

Used Amerian Airlines a few times as well and they were decent, cabin crew were excellent. Though I'd never use them internally in the US again. Awful 

Edited by Soup
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BeardyFox said:

Try Tuscany...Beautiful inland and coast. Some Good wine orientated hotels/villas, Florence,Siena,montepulciano,Natural Spas ( volcanic)...Every Town & Village just Living museums.Some Hotels/B &Bs Good priced old Pallizios.In the Middle of culture,and adventure.Some Great walking inland or along the coast.

September Not too hot, and quite pleasant but lakes and sea still warm....

Oh!! And Great welcoming people....

Edited by fuchsntf

6 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thank you

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Norweigian Air tend to have some good deals too for US flight, might be worth looking at too.

Listen to Stuntman mike… 

rhey use Dreamliner and are perfectly comfortable…. Bid for a ln upgrade if you’re really bothered…. I use them all the tine out of preference….

Also had experience of an old Virgin plane and no space under the seat in front of me, so, try and serve them now

On 04/01/2020 at 13:55, ousefox said:

Going to Berlin for the weekend on Friday. Any tips I won't find at the top of TripAdvisor?

Go to the Kreuzberg area for bars and shops…. Really cool area and very bohemian (if that’s your thing)

Eat at the long march canteen - really good Asian food

eat some excellent Turkish food too…. German food ain’t that great, but, you should try a curry wurst 

The Berliner dom and museum near it are good…. 

• Like 1