Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

4 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thanks both of you 👍
I think i'll steer clear of BA in that case. It'll be another solo trip for me so I don't want the risk of rude staff putting me on edge. 

Depends what you like on a plane though. I can't sleep on planes and order a special meal (veg) so tend to use the in flight services a lot. BA consistently never have my meal and don't even try to apologise or find a replacement. Every time I go to the back and ask for more food or drink, it never really happens. Of course if you can get on a plane and nod off none of this matters. Full disclosure by the way, I'm a BA silver member as I have to use them for work travel....just never use them for personal travel!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BeardyFox said:

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

I loved Sevilla when I went there for a week a couple of years ago, 1 week was plenty though which is probably the case for most City breaks.

8 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Can anyone recommend which out of BA, Virgin Atlantic and Delta are best to fly with when travelling to the US?

I'd assume it would be Virgin Atlantic but I was wondering what anyone else's views would be. 

Thank you

I travel about 8 times a year to US with majority being for work.  I would say they all are hit and miss,.it comes.down to the cabin crew, when it comes.to service.

For food, it's the same, but BA can be really ropey.  If your not flying Business or first, then usually they are all ropey.

BA and Delta have a better drinks selection.

Now, BA have the oldest fleet.  Before you boom, you can check the model of the aircraft and reviews of it, interms of age.  However older planes are cheaper then say the newer streamliners.

I hope that helps

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BeardyFox said:

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Have you thought about city's here in the UK that have been voted the capital of culture, I can see Coventry or Hull being cracking in September.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Just booked 6 days out to Vancouver to go skiing at Whistler at the start of March. 

Don't like long haul and always feel a bit unsettled outside of Europe....but hey ho, good to shake off the comfort blanket every now and then 

Whistler is great, where are you staying? 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Staying at a mate of a mate's gaff. I have to get the shuttle bus to Creekside, that's all I know so far!

Nice one. Creek side is one of the lifts but it’s not the main one so I didn’t get to explore much round there really. 

Would love to go back one day.

31 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Just booked 6 days out to Vancouver to go skiing at Whistler at the start of March. 

Don't like long haul and always feel a bit unsettled outside of Europe....but hey ho, good to shake off the comfort blanket every now and then 

Was in Vancouver last April and it was amazing. We took just one day trip to whistler and it was cool. Weather not great for us though. 

31 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Have you thought about city's here in the UK that have been voted the capital of culture, I can see Coventry or Hull being cracking in September.

Salisbury too, I’ve heard there’s a nice Catherdral that has attracted tourists from as far as Russia. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Norweigian Air tend to have some good deals too for US flight, might be worth looking at too.

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Listen to Stuntman mike… 

rhey use Dreamliner and are perfectly comfortable…. Bid for a ln upgrade if you’re really bothered…. I use them all the tine out of preference….

Also had experience of an old Virgin plane and no space under the seat in front of me, so, try and serve them now

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Depends what you like on a plane though. I can't sleep on planes and order a special meal (veg) so tend to use the in flight services a lot. BA consistently never have my meal and don't even try to apologise or find a replacement. Every time I go to the back and ask for more food or drink, it never really happens. Of course if you can get on a plane and nod off none of this matters. Full disclosure by the way, I'm a BA silver member as I have to use them for work travel....just never use them for personal travel!

47 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I travel about 8 times a year to US with majority being for work.  I would say they all are hit and miss,.it comes.down to the cabin crew, when it comes.to service.

For food, it's the same, but BA can be really ropey.  If your not flying Business or first, then usually they are all ropey.

BA and Delta have a better drinks selection.

Now, BA have the oldest fleet.  Before you boom, you can check the model of the aircraft and reviews of it, interms of age.  However older planes are cheaper then say the newer streamliners.

I hope that helps

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated 👍🏼 Shall have a proper look at prices tomorrow and see what comes up best along with your opinions above.

• Like 1

Portugal for our lass’ brothers surprise 30th in July - Albufeira for 4 nights and then me and her are going to break away and head up to Lisbon for 3 nights. Anybody with any recommendations for things to do/places to eat/drink in Lisbon? 

I must say I am buzzing, I’ve heard Lisbon is awesome! 

Edited by Manini

Cheap flights to Phuket if anyone is interested although some of the dates are in the rainy season (although even during rainy season it is only heavy for relatively short periods and then it stops).  

------------------------

The Birmingham and Edinburgh routes are especially nice as these airports rarely see other options to the islands. For London and Manchester, Turkish Airlines complement the remaining dates from the Singapore Airlines route we've mentioned in the last few weeks.

To:

Phuket (HKT)

London (LGW) - £431
Manchester (MAN) - £435
Birmingham (BHX) - £471
Edinburgh (EDI) - £447
Travel Dates: late April - June & September

Airline: Turkish Airlines

Standard Fare: £800

Bags: Checked bag included

Book by: These fares should last 2-3 days

Here's how to book:

1. Head to Google Flights and use their handy calendar tool to find the best travel dates for your route, by locating the dates with the lowest fares (those highlighted in green). If you prefer to book directly, then follow the link to the airline website and book.
2. To get the lowest possible fares (those listed above), head over to Skyscanner, re-enter your itinerary and book with an online travel agent (OTA). You can read more about booking with OTAs here.

Good to know:

- If you're new here, read our guide to learn how to combine Google Flights and Skyscanner or Momondo to find cheap flights.

- Deals can go at anytime. If you've checked our example links and couldn't find any more dates at the deal price using the instructions above, it's likely to have expired.

- Our general guide on how to find cheap flights.

2fd9f0874237e4f58671695ed6d6ba6f.png?r=154940647

Cheap flights to Rio, Brazil (£350).

Stellar fares to Brazil with some new early summer availability. Non-stop both ways, just like we like it.

FYI, we've also just heard that Norwegian is planning to make cabin bags a payable extra from February, so grabbing these now is likely a good move, while those are still included in the base price. Also check out our tip below on getting two checked bags, seat selection and meals included for only £15 more.

To:

Rio de Janeiro (GIG) - £350

London (LGW)

Travel Dates: January - June (excluding Easter holidays, examples below)

Airline: Norwegian

Standard Fare: £600+

Bags: Checked bag is extra (£80 rtn, or see tip below to add for less with an OTA)

Book by: These fares should last 2-3 days

Here's how to book:

1. Head to Google Flights and use their handy calendar tool to find the best travel dates for your route, by locating the dates with the lowest fares (those highlighted in green). If you prefer to book directly, then follow the link to the airline website and book.

Note: To add bags and meals for less than Norwegian charge, proceed to step 2.

Example trips under £360 rtn:

• Jan 27 - Feb 10
  • Mar 1 - 8/13/15
  • Mar 13 - 27
  • May 1 - 11/15
  • May 4 - 18
  • May 6 - 18
  • Jun 3 - 17
  • Jun 5 - 19/22
  • Jun 12 - 19/22
2. Fares are generally higher here when booking with Online Travel Agents, however, if you are planning to travel with hold luggage, some OTAs (Travelgenio and AirFare Network are good examples) sell checked bags x2, and meals for only around £15 more (as opposed to £90+ that Norwegian charges for the same option).

Good to know:

- If you're new here, read our guide to learn how to combine Google Flights and Skyscanner or Momondo to find cheap flights.

- Deals can go at anytime. If you've checked our example links and couldn't find any more dates at the deal price using the instructions above, it's likely to have expired.

- Our general guide on how to find cheap flights.

- Example Itinerary -
91a053cfb3116c392c6bd634cab707df.png?r=1

On 06/01/2020 at 19:59, Wolfox said:

Go to the Kreuzberg area for bars and shops…. Really cool area and very bohemian (if that’s your thing)

Eat at the long march canteen - really good Asian food

eat some excellent Turkish food too…. German food ain’t that great, but, you should try a curry wurst 

The Berliner dom and museum near it are good…. 

Thank you. Definitely agree on the food!

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

Sicily anyone???

Palermo is amazing. A real buzz about the place and probably my favourite place on the island. 

If you're on the other side of the island you must check out Catania fish market. Crazy and you can get a fantastic meal at one of the restaurants right in the heart of it all. 

16 minutes ago, Soup said:

Palermo is amazing. A real buzz about the place and probably my favourite place on the island. 

If you're on the other side of the island you must check out Catania fish market. Crazy and you can get a fantastic meal at one of the restaurants right in the heart of it all. 

Cheers Soup.

We are planning an Easter trip.

Any other advice?

Palermo better yeah?

2 kids in tow aged 11,7 like abit of history etc as brownies we don't need to sunbathe!!!

32 minutes ago, Raj said:

Cheers Soup.

We are planning an Easter trip.

Any other advice?

Palermo better yeah?

2 kids in tow aged 11,7 like abit of history etc as brownies we don't need to sunbathe!!!

We hired a car last time and found that to be the best way around. Sicily is massive and there's stuff all over the place so a car came in really handy.

We flew to Palermo and out of Catania but looking back I'd now pick the car up when we were ready to leave Palermo as driving in that place is mental. Looking back it's funny thinking about it but at the time I've never been as scared in a car. The rest of the trip was fine so don't let that put you off.

The history there is everywhere. The Greek ruins of Agrigento are stunning and definitely should be on anyones list when in Sicily. Went to Piazza Armerina, really cool ancient Roman mosaics. The Greek Amphitheatre in Taormina is also a great place to visit,.it looks down over the bay which adds to the beauty of it. Taormina is also a cool.place to.spend a few nights as well. Smallish town perched up in the hills. Obviously loads more and I'm betting others on here could go into more depth.

But 100% have lunch at Catania fish market:D

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 08:03, E.Rose said:

Can anyone recommend which out of BA, Virgin Atlantic and Delta are best to fly with when travelling to the US?

I'd assume it would be Virgin Atlantic but I was wondering what anyone else's views would be. 

Thank you

Ive flew with Virgin twice to US, most recently on Monday (in NYC now). Not flew with the others, but have a flight to Vegas with Delta tommorow. 

Virgin has been brilliant each time, even in Economy. Kept fed, happy to give you more drinks if you ask all making a comfortable flight. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Ive flew with Virgin twice to US, most recently on Monday (in NYC now). Not flew with the others, but have a flight to Vegas with Delta tommorow. 

Virgin has been brilliant each time, even in Economy. Kept fed, happy to give you more drinks if you ask all making a comfortable flight. 

Thanks for your input 

I've looked at prices and with a discount they're coming up as around £60 less at the moment so it's looking like they'll be the ones I go with. 

On 05/01/2020 at 21:41, Ozwin said:

Barcelona in a few weeks. Any hidden gems on stuff to do/places to eat? Love a good burger so any burger restaurants would be great.

If you are going with your missus or girlfriend who is into Instagram and brunches and want some brownie points then go to Brunch and Cake.   It is bit out of way so do plan your day around it but the food totally surprised me,  it was really wholesome and flavoursome along being instagramable of course.