Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

9 hours ago, bovril said:

I remember when I moved to Palermo and after about two weeks fell quite badly sick. When I phoned the manager of the EFL school I was working with and started listing my symptoms he immediately cut me off with "have you been drinking the tap water?"

The good (really bad) news for me was I’m not sure I drank anything other than booze for 3 days. Stay safe folks.

Leicester on sea this weekend (Skeg Vegas to many) you either love or hate Skeggy. Been coming here nearly 25 years and love the place. It's had some bad press over the years, but I'd say it's better than many. For me Skeggy is a traditional english seaside town. Give credit the council, they are trying up the appeal of the town, premier inn up and running, redevelopment of a bar complex. Works starting on a new travelodge on the seafront, so things looking up for Skegness. Just need to sort out the railway there. Always cahos to Skeggy, one train an hour isn't great especially when the last train is around 8pm. I'm hoping the news of London services coming into action may see improvement. 

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Leicester on sea this weekend (Skeg Vegas to many) you either love or hate Skeggy. Been coming here nearly 25 years and love the place. It's had some bad press over the years, but I'd say it's better than many. For me Skeggy is a traditional english seaside town. Give credit the council, they are trying up the appeal of the town, premier inn up and running, redevelopment of a bar complex. Works starting on a new travelodge on the seafront, so things looking up for Skegness. Just need to sort out the railway there. Always cahos to Skeggy, one train an hour isn't great especially when the last train is around 8pm. I'm hoping the news of London services coming into action may see improvement. 

I love it, had my stag there. An exceptional weekend

38 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Taking my 10yo son to London next week, Sunday to Tuesday. Aside from the more obvious tourist attractions does anyone have any suggestions?

Met a mate who was over with his 9 year old before they went to a Spurs match (yes I know...) so limited experience of what kids would like but will try!

The museums are huge for adults let alone kids. Maybe focus on what he's into. If he's into dinosaurs maybe the Natural History Museum. 

The basics were the stuff he loved, getting a red bus, getting the tube, seeing Big Ben chime, going to the Lego store, M&M store and Hamleys. Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross is a free novelty.

Greenwich is slightly more chilled but still interesting for the Cutty Sark and naval shit if he finds that interesting.

As you probably know, London is a minefield so just depends on what you are into. Some of the stadiums might be doing tours, the Emirates is easy enough to get to from central london for example.

Just realised a lot of this is the touristy stuff, oh well lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Taking my 10yo son to London next week, Sunday to Tuesday. Aside from the more obvious tourist attractions does anyone have any suggestions?

The Thames barrier used to be a hit with my children, they enjoyed the ride out there on the DLR, there's a nice park and a couple of places to get something to eat or drink. Plus the obvious edge of the Thames and the barrier itself! It made a nice change of scenery from the city :)

• Thanks 1

Gdansk next weekend with friends as a few of us turning 40 around the same time.

Istanbul for 5 days with the Mrs in June.

Any recommendations welcomed (food, things to do etc)

We decided to sack off the cruise round the Canary Islands for somewhere a bit more adventurous, well for me anyway, so we now have 7 days leaving and returning to Dubai and visiting Abu Dhabi, Oman and Qatar.

Apart from the obvious trying to stay out of trouble, covering myself up and generally trying not to get arrested, does anyone have any tips for Khasab, Muscat and Doha? Most importantly can I drink wine anywhere other than the ship?!

43 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We decided to sack off the cruise round the Canary Islands for somewhere a bit more adventurous, well for me anyway, so we now have 7 days leaving and returning to Dubai and visiting Abu Dhabi, Oman and Qatar.

Apart from the obvious trying to stay out of trouble, covering myself up and generally trying not to get arrested, does anyone have any tips for Khasab, Muscat and Doha? Most importantly can I drink wine anywhere other than the ship?!

That sounds way more fun than the Canary Islands. You won’t get arrested and you don’t have to dress like a nun, don’t believe the media scare stories. You’ll be able to drink in hotels and licenced bars in muscat, not heard of the other place and never been to doha. Had a fantastic night out in muscat in 2015. It’s a different culture, explore, learn and enjoy 

• Thanks 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

That sounds way more fun than the Canary Islands. You won’t get arrested and you don’t have to dress like a nun, don’t believe the media scare stories. You’ll be able to drink in hotels and licenced bars in muscat, not heard of the other place and never been to doha. Had a fantastic night out in muscat in 2015. It’s a different culture, explore, learn and enjoy 

Thanks, that's the reason we've changed tbh, a bit of a culture change and a move away from the norm. 

Can't believe you haven't been to Doha tbh, I feel like you've travelled the world round at least three times, maybe that will be my claim to fame when we return, I've been somewhere @grobyfox1990 hasn't lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, that's the reason we've changed tbh, a bit of a culture change and a move away from the norm. 

Can't believe you haven't been to Doha tbh, I feel like you've travelled the world round at least three times, maybe that will be my claim to fame when we return, I've been somewhere @grobyfox1990 hasn't lol

Haha me? Do you have the right person lol? Report back on Doha pls! Flown Qatar airways a fair bit, decent quality airline and brilliant connection airport.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sounds great @FoxesDeb. What ship are you sailing on? As long as you're conservatively dressed, knees and shoulders covered you'll be fine. Obviously, if you're going to any places of religious worship you have to have arms, legs including ankles and head covered. Lots of the mosques will hire you an abaya. Or a sarong will do the trick as a head covering. 

Khasab is beautiful, known as the Norwegian Fjords of the desert. Highly recommended taking a dhow boat trip there. We only went by accident as Sri Lanka wouldn't let us dock, and it was one of the loveliest stops on the trip. 

Doha is also very nice, we did a jeep tour in the desert, that was brilliant and a bit of a city tour. If sail away is dusk the sky line from the ship is just stunning when all the lights come on.

According to my itinerary we did a jeep tour to Wadi Arbayeen from Muscat. I've had to check my photos as I didn't remember that. Muscat was also lovely it would appear. 

The hotels and tourist restaurants all serve alcohol, it's not competitively priced though! Do not consume any in public places other than said restaurants or hotels though, that may get you arrested. Public displays of affection are frowned upon too. 

Are you spending any time in Dubai? If you are I highly recommend high tea at the Burj Khalifa. And the Miracle Gardens. The hop on hop off bus is great for covering the city. It's a fascinating city. We're booked to go back in April next year but the cruise is scheduled to go through the Suez Canal so,  I'm expecting it to be cancelled. Which will be my 3rd cancellation of visiting Abu Dhabi other than driving through it to catch up with the ship when we missed it in Dubai 😂

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Sounds great @FoxesDeb. What ship are you sailing on? As long as you're conservatively dressed, knees and shoulders covered you'll be fine. Obviously, if you're going to any places of religious worship you have to have arms, legs including ankles and head covered. Lots of the mosques will hire you an abaya. Or a sarong will do the trick as a head covering. 

Khasab is beautiful, known as the Norwegian Fjords of the desert. Highly recommended taking a dhow boat trip there. We only went by accident as Sri Lanka wouldn't let us dock, and it was one of the loveliest stops on the trip. 

Doha is also very nice, we did a jeep tour in the desert, that was brilliant and a bit of a city tour. If sail away is dusk the sky line from the ship is just stunning when all the lights come on.

According to my itinerary we did a jeep tour to Wadi Arbayeen from Muscat. I've had to check my photos as I didn't remember that. Muscat was also lovely it would appear. 

The hotels and tourist restaurants all serve alcohol, it's not competitively priced though! Do not consume any in public places other than said restaurants or hotels though, that may get you arrested. Public displays of affection are frowned upon too. 

Are you spending any time in Dubai? If you are I highly recommend high tea at the Burj Khalifa. And the Miracle Gardens. The hop on hop off bus is great for covering the city. It's a fascinating city. We're booked to go back in April next year but the cruise is scheduled to go through the Suez Canal so,  I'm expecting it to be cancelled. Which will be my 3rd cancellation of visiting Abu Dhabi other than driving through it to catch up with the ship when we missed it in Dubai 😂

We're going with the Germans on TUI Cruises, the German equivalent of Marella lol

That's all really helpful, thank you, and the dhow boat looks lovely, we will definitely book that. Yes we will have a couple of days in Dubai and I'd seen the Hop on hop off bus so will probably book that too :thumbup:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're going with the Germans on TUI Cruises, the German equivalent of Marella lol

That's all really helpful, thank you, and the dhow boat looks lovely, we will definitely book that. Yes we will have a couple of days in Dubai and I'd seen the Hop on hop off bus so will probably book that too :thumbup:

Book yourself into here for a night https://www.atlantis.com/atlantis-the-palm/rooms-and-suites/signature-suites/underwater-suite

25 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I can't deny it looks incredible, but at over €6000 a night I can't justify it unfortunately lol

We do need somewhere to stay overnight the day we arrive in Dubai before the cruise though, and as we're there for a significant birthday of mine maybe we'll treat ourselves to one of the cheaper rooms :blush:

23 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Ive worked in the middle east and been to most places.  Abu Dhabi was our family break away, love the corniche and stayed in raddison blu. 

Basically, if your at a resort or big hotel, its very cosmopolitan, drink dress and do what u want.  Outside the resorts you have to be modest.

I loved Muscat, alot of middle east go to Oman as a honeymoon location.  Doha is a cool place loads of bars etc

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I can't deny it looks incredible, but at over €6000 a night I can't justify it unfortunately lol

But...but...there's a free buffet breakfast.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Currently in Naples, Italy.

A mad city, a bit edgy, but l love it.

A rabbit warren of old cobbled lanes. The car & scooter driver's are bonkers, but it somehow works. Football memorabilia, especially Maradona is everywhere. It's so cheap here too. The whole place gives you a slap in the face, but in a nice way. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Currently in Naples, Italy.

A mad city, a bit edgy, but l love it.

A rabbit warren of old cobbled lanes. The car & scooter driver's are bonkers, but it somehow works. Football memorabilia, especially Maradona is everywhere. It's so cheap here too. The whole place gives you a slap in the face, but in a nice way. 

Go during a European away day, it gives you more than a slap in the face then… not in a nice way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2