Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Posted (edited)

Off to Croatia on Saturday for 10 days. Got a day in Zagreb, day at Plitvice Lakes, few days in Split, few days in Hvar, and then a day in Dubrovnik. I've pretty much got my itinerary sorted, but if anyone has any recommendations for bars/restaurants/places to see etc that would be great!

Edited by Chris_OGrady
  • Like 1

Going to Gloucestershire next week. Spending a couple of nights in a cottage in the countryside but also making sure to do Gloucester cathedral and Tewkesbury Abbey. Any more off the beaten tracks suggestions, or recommendations of nice pubs, would be much appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Going to Gloucestershire next week. Spending a couple of nights in a cottage in the countryside but also making sure to do Gloucester cathedral and Tewkesbury Abbey. Any more off the beaten tracks suggestions, or recommendations of nice pubs, would be much appreciated. 

Plenty of places in The Cotswolds of course. Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-water(very touristy though & busy), Hawkstone Brewery is worth a visit, nice marquee to try the limited IPA, lagers & cider. 

16 minutes ago, bovril said:

Going to see Edward 2nd? It’s my favourite cathedral out of the three choirs festival, cathedrals. The others being Hereford and Worcester. Unfortunately, I haven’t been to Gloucester as much as the others but the general area is really underrated(between all three). Places like Ross on Wye, The Malverns and Forest of Dean are all not too far but maybe a little too far for your trip.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Plenty of places in The Cotswolds of course. Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-water(very touristy though & busy), Hawkstone Brewery is worth a visit, nice marquee to try the limited IPA, lagers & cider. 

I stayed there overnight last week for work in a B&B on the main street. For early May it was busy with tourists so god knows what it's like at peak season. 

Lovely place though. The soft underbelly of middle England.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Going to see Edward 2nd? It’s my favourite cathedral out of the three choirs festival, cathedrals. The others being Hereford and Worcester. Unfortunately, I haven’t been to Gloucester as much as the others but the general area is really underrated(between all three). Places like Ross on Wye, The Malverns and Forest of Dean are all not too far but maybe a little too far for your trip.

Yes, ticking him off. Went to see Worcester cathedral a couple of months ago. Would love to explore Herefordshire and the whole Welsh marches, looks like quite a magical place. 

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yes, ticking him off. Went to see Worcester cathedral a couple of months ago. Would love to explore Herefordshire and the whole Welsh marches, looks like quite a magical place. 

My partner is from Herefordshire and her parents live there, so we visit too often. It’s stunning at this time of year, late spring. Hereford isn’t up too much but it’s a pleasant afternoon, especially if you’re visiting the cathedral. There is some great history with the Welsh borders and it makes for some great banter with the locals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Off to Croatia on Saturday for 10 days. Got a day in Zagreb, day at Plitvice Lakes, few days in Split, few days in Hvar, and then a day in Dubrovnik. I've pretty much got my itinerary sorted, but if anyone has any recommendations for bars/restaurants/places to see etc that would be great!

Sounds awesome. Would love to see more of Croatia. Zagreb was an interesting place, Plitvice lakes was absolutely incredible, you’ll love it. Felt a real sense of peace when I went 18months ago. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

I stayed there overnight last week for work in a B&B on the main street. For early May it was busy with tourists so god knows what it's like at peak season. 

Lovely place though. The soft underbelly of middle England.

Exactly. Spent a couple of nights in Stow, 2 weeks ago. Caught the bus to Bourton, spent one afternoon there (most of it at Hawkstone !), just to get away from the crowds.

Lots of Americans were milling around, they love all that ‘old historical England’ stuff of course. On the whole The Cotswolds is a beautiful part of the world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Sounds brilliant, never been to Croatia, never thought about it tbh. Report back pls

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 08:08, VLC86 said:

Last day in Sicily before flying home today, unbelievable place. Palermo is a great city and Cefalu is an incredible place to go for a few days on the beach.

The food here is obviously incredible and the local wine is pretty cheap and decent.

Feel like shit today though, 80% cold, 10% hangover and 10% being ravaged by the sun 😂 put me down.

Where did you get to in the end for food and drink? I'm always interested to hear about any new places I haven't been to in PA.

Booked 2 weeks in Japan in September any intel/advice really greatly appreciated, kids have just gone, so its time to have fun.  Places to visit likely a few hours to Tokyo and perhaps how long you should stay there.  Went to South Africa for the same last Nov & it was brilliant.  Haven't got a car, don't really want to fly internally, so train etc. best mode of transport, but open to suggestions, got to try and get a plan together and book everything up ideally by end of June or most of it.

International window of course, so we miss less footy!!!:scarf:

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Where did you get to in the end for food and drink? I'm always interested to hear about any new places I haven't been to in PA.

In Palermo itself we went to a place called Stuzzicando which was decent. Cost about £35 for pizza, pasta and a bottle of wine.

Just before we left we had some food in the market. Now, I’ve made mistakes before by giving myself food poisoning the day before flying home so this was a risky move. I ordered veg wrapped in sardines and Parmagiani which I love and they pull this off the table of food that’s sitting there for anyone to access in the open while my other half “played it safe” with pasta. I’ll give you one guess which of us left a trail of destruction across the Northampton and Harborough countryside on the drive home 😂.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VLC86 said:

In Palermo itself we went to a place called Stuzzicando which was decent. Cost about £35 for pizza, pasta and a bottle of wine.

Just before we left we had some food in the market. Now, I’ve made mistakes before by giving myself food poisoning the day before flying home so this was a risky move. I ordered veg wrapped in sardines and Parmagiani which I love and they pull this off the table of food that’s sitting there for anyone to access in the open while my other half “played it safe” with pasta. I’ll give you one guess which of us left a trail of destruction across the Northampton and Harborough countryside on the drive home 😂.

It's not a true trip to Sicily unless someone is nauseous on the journey home.

• Haha 1

I remember when I moved to Palermo and after about two weeks fell quite badly sick. When I phoned the manager of the EFL school I was working with and started listing my symptoms he immediately cut me off with "have you been drinking the tap water?"

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Harry96 said:

Best hikes in Peak District? Looking to go end of may 

I would second Mam Tor and Castleton as a base is a good place for a stopover, lots of decent pubs but the place does get busy.