Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, bovril said:

One thing I'll say for people going to Sicily is that nothing has brought home the ageing of my digestive system like living there in my mind twenties and going back in my late thirties. The oil, dough and incredibly strong tomato sauce absolutely recked me last time.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha thanks mate, I’ve got a stomach of iron but presume my other half will spend a few days in bits 😂.

I had my colon removed 20 years ago and also have Crohn's disease so it sounds like I'll be on the bog for the entire 11 days lol

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I had my colon removed 20 years ago and also have Crohn's disease so it sounds like I'll be on the bog for the entire 11 days lol

They have lovely grilled fish. Tuna and sword fish steaks. I guess that's good to eat? Just be careful of the passata di pomodoro and the espresso which are both weapons of mass destruction.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

They have lovely grilled fish. Tuna and sword fish steaks. I guess that's good to eat? Just be careful of the passata di pomodoro and the espresso which are both weapons of mass destruction.

I eat loads of fish and love tuna and sword fish so can't wait to try them. Thanks again for all the tips mate.

With all your knowledge and passion on this thread, do you work in the travel industry by any chance? 

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I eat loads of fish and love tuna and sword fish so can't wait to try them. Thanks again for all the tips mate.

With all your knowledge and passion on this thread, do you work in the travel industry by any chance? 

No, just taught EFL for a decade and spent two years living in Palermo.

My posts in this thread are like 90% Italy and the Balkans 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

Looking for city break end of may any recommendations? 

Where have you already been, what are you looking for e.g boozy, food, scenery, atmosphere, football, bit of everything?

40 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Where have you already been, what are you looking for e.g boozy, food, scenery, atmosphere, football, bit of everything?

Only been Budapest Barca and Amsterdam in Europe. Looking for a bit of everything bit of scenery and hiking would be nice 

2 hours ago, Harry96 said:

Only been Budapest Barca and Amsterdam in Europe. Looking for a bit of everything bit of scenery and hiking would be nice 

Krakow isn’t far from Zakopane, a pretty big mountain

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Harry96 said:

Was going to suggest Sofia until you said you'd been to BG.

Verona has a lot to see and good restaurants, and it's close to some beautiful scenery with good hiking options. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2024 at 19:57, Stadt said:

Krakow isn’t far from Zakopane, a pretty big mountain

I went in December,it was snowing so hard we didn’t see the mountains.

Best bit here of Zakopane.

waiting to get on the ski lift, got a notification WBA had scored.Absolutely savage.Got off.Ping.Harry Winks scores 1-2 Leicester.

14 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

I went in December,it was snowing so hard we didn’t see the mountains.

Best bit here of Zakopane.

waiting to get on the ski lift, got a notification WBA had scored.Absolutely savage.Got off.Ping.Harry Winks scores 1-2 Leicester.

How was Zakopane for a ski trip? Like the look of it. Much to do for people not skiing?

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

How was Zakopane for a ski trip? Like the look of it. Much to do for people not skiing?

Sorry,I wasn’t skiing,I went from Krakow.

it was near Xmas so food stalls everywhere and markets.A few shops.We went up the mountain for drinks.

Booked Istanbul for September. Never been, know nothing about Turkey beyond Midnight Express, mental violence at football, and their fascist leader is mental. On lesson three of Duolingo - it’s not like Italian.

17 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Booked Istanbul for September. Never been, know nothing about Turkey beyond Midnight Express, mental violence at football, and their fascist leader is mental. On lesson three of Duolingo - it’s not like Italian.

Well this week they turned the most glorious Byzantine church-cum-museum back into a mosque. You may still be able to visit Chora church, but I doubt it. Otherwise I really like just meandering through the back streets of Zeyrek finding random Roman and Byzantine ruins or medieval churches converted to mosques, and dipping into cafes for tea and cake or little workers' restaurants for grilled meat and fish. Amazing city, maybe my favorite in the world.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bovril said:

Well this week they turned the most glorious Byzantine church-cum-museum back into a mosque. You may still be able to visit Chora church, but I doubt it. Otherwise I really like just meandering through the back streets of Zeyrek finding random Roman and Byzantine ruins or medieval churches converted to mosques, and dipping into cafes for tea and cake or little workers' restaurants for grilled meat and fish. Amazing city, maybe my favorite in the world.

Wandering about a bit is my main aim. I’ve peppered Googlemaps with little green flags and plan to see how much tea I can drink in a week.

8 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Wandering about a bit is my main aim. I’ve peppered Googlemaps with little green flags and plan to see how much tea I can drink in a week.

There are so many characterful little neighborhoods in the Faith district to get lost in. Zeyrek as I mentioned before, also Balat and Fener. Just find a little 'lokanta' - usually the more spartan interior and old blokes the better - and you'll eat amazingly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daggers said:

I went in March - will send over some recommendations later

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just got back from a bank holiday weekend camping in the Lake District with a bunch of old mates. 

All it did was piss down. Barely got chance to do anything. Constant, unrelenting rain. Everything is sodden and caked in shit.

I fvcking hate this drab, wet little island.

Edited by RoboFox

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Where’s a good place to go in either the Algarve or the French Riviera, which has beaches, isn’t too busy but has good weather? 

We like the western Algarve, Tavira is a lovely little fishing town, not too far from Faro airport. Monte Gordo is a beautiful stretch of beach nearer the Spanish border, and we like Vilamoura too, the other side of Faro.

In the french riviera we loved Port Grimaud, it's built round canals a bit like Venice but much smaller, really lovely though and has a long sandy beach. Easy to get the boat across to St Tropez if you fancy it too.

Edited by FoxesDeb
  • Like 1