Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 17/04/2024 at 10:41, Daggers said:

Can honestly say that Florence would be better off installing a torture room at the airport in place of its business lounge as this would be a sound improvement. 

I holds all the visual delights of an underground, windowless NHS waiting area crossed with a large cleaning products storage cupboard. 

Next to no seats, no air conditioning, pathetic range of food - and what there is is manky as fvck. 

The bar - one red, one white, one bottle of Cinzano, some orange stuff, and a self pour beer. Compared to other places it’s beyond abysmal. 

Oh poor you, you elitist fop, bitching about having to drink just one of two wines for free for four hours.

Yes, you have a point. Shut up. No chairs and crying children. Everyone can shut up this very minute. 

Most European lounges at non capital or major airports are a let down - if you think Florence is bad try Krakow

Any tips for long haul during the October half term? Done the Middle East to death as it’s convenient and warm but want to try something new if I can find a reward voucher flight even better 

23 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Most European lounges at non capital or major airports are a let down - if you think Florence is bad try Krakow

Warsaw is OK. I was about to add Krakow into the June trip - maybe not, eh 😂

34 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Any tips for long haul during the October half term? Done the Middle East to death as it’s convenient and warm but want to try something new if I can find a reward voucher flight even better 

Cali…or anything in Colombia, just so long as you don’t fly Avinunca. Everyone needs to develop a love for my favourite country.

• Thanks 1

On 22/04/2024 at 23:48, Tommy G said:

Depends how adventurous you want to be and how much time you have. Vietnam is one of my favourite places and not too expensive when you get there.

If it's a week of sun then maybe Maldives or Seychelles?

• Thanks 1

Anyone used a Currensea card in Europe? Would you recommend it? 

Seems straightforward from reviews with cheaper exchange rate rate and relatively hassle free but havent used one myself. Can’t be arsed opening a Monzo account.

On 24/04/2024 at 08:32, Nalis said:

Anyone used a Currensea card in Europe? Would you recommend it? 

Seems straightforward from reviews with cheaper exchange rate rate and relatively hassle free but havent used one myself. Can’t be arsed opening a Monzo account.

Yes I did recently to lisbon.

Simple practical safe and abit cheaper so go for it👍🏾

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Booked to go Gran Canaria last night. 10 days all inclusive for me and my son in August. Cannot wait! 

Anyone got any recommendations for stuff to do when there? 

Hire a car and head into the centre of the island. It's brilliant, it's almost tropical jungle with brilliant walking.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 17:30, bovril said:

Loads of places to stay in the old town. Ponticello apartments are very very nice. Don't stay too close to the train station, gets noisier and dirtier past via Divisi. Area just north of Piazza Politeama is also really nice to stay in and has some good restaurants.

Trattoria al Sorriso by the station is superb. Great food at pretty low prices. Have fish obviously. Trattoria Trapani is a proper old school cheap trattoria, also next to the station. Pizza e Cucina on via 20th Settembre is my old haunt. Pretty unassuming but just superb pizza and cold beer. Vecchio Club Rosanero is a Palermo FC themed trattoria, pretty decent cheap grub. Ballaro of all the markets probably has the best places to eat, though even that one has become a bit touristy - Kemonia is good if memory serves. Trattoria Bersaglieri is where we always used to go on Saturdays. Bit dodgy and mafiosi but huge portions for very little cost. 

There are loads of places to eat. You will eat well there. I'll wrack my brain for more.

Not long till I’m in Sicily now, I can officially look forward to it after the panic of booking this to coincide with play offs . Any other bar/eat recommendations in Palermo and Cefalu?

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not long till I’m in Sicily now, I can officially look forward to it after the panic of booking this to coincide with play offs . Any other bar/eat recommendations in Palermo and Cefalu?

Don't know many other specific ones apart from those in the original post but I'd say:

- Avoid via Maqueda in Palermo. Tourist trap now. The only good place that's good to eat there now is on Quattro Canti, in an old bookshop. Can't remember the name but you'll know it when you see it.

- Kalsa is quite a good area for al fresco eating and drinking in Palermo.

- The area round piazza olivella is also good for drinking, bit more studenty. Via candelai is popular too but I never liked it that much. There was a bakery nearby that we used to go to after drinking at like 3am and get sfincone straight out the oven. Absolutely unbelievable. But can't remember where it was and what it's called. I dream of having it one more time.

- If you want good solid Sicilian fair, get pasta con le sarde or pasta al forno. Caponata, sword fish and pasta alla norma are also not to be missed.

- 'Pezzi' (or as we used to oh-so-hilariously call them 'doughy ****ers') are very popular, basically bread stuffed with cheese and salami. Ganci is the most popular  The part of Cefalu beach I usually go to - Lido poseidon - has a little bar where you can get pezzi and beer after a swim, still one of life's real pleasures. Cefalu beach is busy, and looks touristy, but the water is gorgeous and the view of the cathedral and mountain when you're in the sea is great. Cefalu cathedral is one of the great cathedrals of Europe. 

- Beef spleen sandwich is also popular.  

- After writing this I'm now mourning the loss of my youth and freedom. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bovril said:

Don't know many other specific ones apart from those in the original post but I'd say:

- Avoid via Maqueda in Palermo. Tourist trap now. The only good place that's good to eat there now is on Quattro Canti, in an old bookshop. Can't remember the name but you'll know it when you see it.

- Kalsa is quite a good area for al fresco eating and drinking in Palermo.

- The area round piazza olivella is also good for drinking, bit more studenty. Via candelai is popular too but I never liked it that much. There was a bakery nearby that we used to go to after drinking at like 3am and get sfincone straight out the oven. Absolutely unbelievable. But can't remember where it was and what it's called. I dream of having it one more time.

- If you want good solid Sicilian fair, get pasta con le sarde or pasta al forno. Caponata, sword fish and pasta alla norma are also not to be missed.

- 'Pezzi' (or as we used to oh-so-hilariously call them 'doughy ****ers') are very popular, basically bread stuffed with cheese and salami. Ganci is the most popular  The part of Cefalu beach I usually go to - Lido poseidon - has a little bar where you can get pezzi and beer after a swim, still one of life's real pleasures. Cefalu beach is busy, and looks touristy, but the water is gorgeous and the view of the cathedral and mountain when you're in the sea is great. Cefalu cathedral is one of the great cathedrals of Europe. 

- Beef spleen sandwich is also popular.  

- After writing this I'm now mourning the loss of my youth and freedom. 

We're going to Sicily end of July and this is really helpful, thanks. You clearly know your stuff!

37 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's near a place called Syracuse in the south east corner of Sicily. Have you been there/heard of it?

Yes I went a couple of times. Lived in Palermo though so don't know the SE area so well. Lots of my friends love it though and there are some beautiful little towns nearby. The old town of Syracuse - Ortigia - is so beautiful.

How long are you there for? Are you hiring a car?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yes I went a couple of times. Lived in Palermo though so don't know the SE area so well. Lots of my friends love it though and there are some beautiful little towns nearby. The old town of Syracuse - Ortigia - is so beautiful.

How long are you there for? Are you hiring a car?

You're getting me excited :D

We're going for 11 nights and have hired a villa with a pool which looks perfect. We booked the villa through Booking.com and flights through EasyJet so it's all a bit DIY rather than as a package with a tour operator.

We haven't booked a car yet but think we probably should. I assume you'd advise us to? 

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

You're getting me excited :D

We're going for 11 nights and have hired a villa with a pool which looks perfect. We booked the villa through Booking.com and flights through EasyJet so it's all a bit DIY rather than as a package with a tour operator.

We haven't booked a car yet but think we probably should. I assume you'd advise us to? 

I don't drive, so I can't ever really tell people to hire a car. But that area is well worth exploring and public transport isn't amazing so perhaps a good idea. Noto and Ragusa are very beautiful towns. People tell me the area round Marzameni has good sea, but I don't know that coast so well. I always go west coast.

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2024 at 09:26, Costock_Fox said:

Would also recommend Cafe Ateneo near Quattro Canti for breakfast. Mainly tourists but they have very good coffee and croissants and sitting outside you have a good view of the people and mopeds rushing past on via Maqueda and the Martorana church behind. 

One thing I'll say for people going to Sicily is that nothing has brought home the ageing of my digestive system like living there in my mind twenties and going back in my late thirties. The oil, dough and incredibly strong tomato sauce absolutely recked me last time.

Edited by bovril

45 minutes ago, bovril said:

Would also recommend Cafe Ateneo near Quattro Canti for breakfast. Mainly tourists but they have very good coffee and croissants and sitting outside you have a good view of the people and mopeds rushing past on via Maqueda and the Martorana church behind. 

One thing I'll say for people going to Sicily is that nothing has brought home the ageing of my digestive system like living there in my mind twenties and going back in my late thirties. The oil, dough and incredibly strong tomato sauce absolutely recked me last time.

Haha thanks mate, I’ve got a stomach of iron but presume my other half will spend a few days in bits 😂.