Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

14 hours ago, brookfox said:

Thinking of going to Japan next Easter to see the cherry blossom and generally sightsee. Will have two teenage kids with us so will need a mix of culture, being outdoors and stuff “that’s not for boring old people”.

Anyone done similar and have any tips?

No but was looking at an offer on a Japan cruise and stay itinerary this morning. Any idea how expensive Japan is, food and drinks etc, whilst you're there?

On 15/04/2024 at 12:17, bovril said:

Ravenna is both a nice, laid back town and historically one of the most important Italian towns. The medieval art and architecture is obviously amazing, and it's also close to some quite low key seaside resorts. 

Fun fact - there is also a Varenna in Italy, on the shore of Lake Como. I've been to both, briefly.

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Fun fact - there is also a Varenna in Italy, on the shore of Lake Como. I've been to both, briefly.

Never been to Como unfortunately.

If I won the lottery I'd probably spend the rest of my days pottering about Italy on trains reading and taking photos. So much to enjoy and admire.

We have finally decided to step in to the world of cruise ships, a clear sign we are getting older if ever there was one. A week in November around the Canaries and Madeira. We have a cabin at the front of the ship, is this a mistake? Neither of us suffers with seasickness, at least not on other boats we've been on, but I'm aware we will feel more of the ship's movement at the front.

@FoyleFox I'm thinking of you really, as the seasoned cruiser (!) amongst us 

Also if anyone has any tips particularly for Madeira and La Gomera I'd love to hear them, only one day in each, obvs.

It's genuinely a myth that cruises are for old people these days @FoxesDeb Unless it's a longer repositioning cruise. Our last was 28 nights and the demographic was mature!

All of the cruises I've been on except 1, I've had a cabin at the front and always on a high deck. Alledgedly the worst position for motion. 99% of the time I've never felt the ship moving whilst in the cabin, in normal seas, usually its only the vibration of the engines when departing port. Lots of the bigger ships have stabilisers these days to reduce the effects of motion. Are you going on P&O Azura by any chance? 

Madiera is beautiful. You can walk from the dock to the town. The cable car up to the gardens at the top gives great views of the island. If you're brave,  there's a wooden toboggan back down. 

• Thanks 1

Going to be a real wrench to leave Florence today, it’s been a stunning five day break. Duolingo did its bit so I could confidently order and buy things, even if it seems every Italian has a better command of English that your average British knuckle dragger. Fancy Eastern Europe next. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Going to be a real wrench to leave Florence today, it’s been a stunning five day break. Duolingo did its bit so I could confidently order and buy things, even if it seems every Italian has a better command of English that your average British knuckle dragger. Fancy Eastern Europe next. 

Any suggestions other than the obvious? We aren't there for that long (a couple of days) but looking to do the Uffizi, Accademia, Duomo, a Tuscany wine tour and check out the bridges. 

4 hours ago, bmt said:

Any suggestions other than the obvious? We aren't there for that long (a couple of days) but looking to do the Uffizi, Accademia, Duomo, a Tuscany wine tour and check out the bridges. 

Download the AT (Autolinee Toscane) app. The app is in English. 

€1.70 buys an hour’s travel on trams and buses. Tram stop directly outside the airport runs directly to the city centre.

You can block book tickets to make it cheaper. They are stored in the app and you activate one by tapping on its image. It’s easy stuff - I managed it. 

Failing that, you can buy tickets from tram stop machines and kiosks - but these need to be stamped when in transit. Again, same thing about an hour’s transport time. 

• Thanks 1

Can honestly say that Florence would be better off installing a torture room at the airport in place of its business lounge as this would be a sound improvement. 

I holds all the visual delights of an underground, windowless NHS waiting area crossed with a large cleaning products storage cupboard. 

Next to no seats, no air conditioning, pathetic range of food - and what there is is manky as fvck. 

The bar - one red, one white, one bottle of Cinzano, some orange stuff, and a self pour beer. Compared to other places it’s beyond abysmal. 

Oh poor you, you elitist fop, bitching about having to drink just one of two wines for free for four hours.

Yes, you have a point. Shut up. No chairs and crying children. Everyone can shut up this very minute. 

Edited by Daggers
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We have finally decided to step in to the world of cruise ships, a clear sign we are getting older if ever there was one. A week in November around the Canaries and Madeira. We have a cabin at the front of the ship, is this a mistake? Neither of us suffers with seasickness, at least not on other boats we've been on, but I'm aware we will feel more of the ship's movement at the front.

@FoyleFox I'm thinking of you really, as the seasoned cruiser (!) amongst us 

Also if anyone has any tips particularly for Madeira and La Gomera I'd love to hear them, only one day in each, obvs.

Deb I'm not an experienced cruiser, in fact my wife and I only did one, but that was to Madeira and the Canaries, also in November,

I can't comment on the position of your cabin as I deliberately took one in the centre lower part of the ship.  Even in that position there was significant movement on one night as we went across the Bay of Biscay, nothing on the rest of the journey of any significance including the Bay of Biscay on the return leg.  I was told by a more experienced cruiser that 'the more you pay, the more you sway' as movement was more accentuated in the posh cabins on the upper decks.  

Madeira was our first port of call - we took the cable car up the mountain and spent some time in the botanical gardens at the top (my wife likes gardens),  There are other attractions up there and the cable car is an experience and a relatively short walk from the dock.  There was a market on the way to the cable car which my wife also liked.

The cruise offered a number of tours at each destination but we did our own thing, I did a bit of research in advanced and worked out which places we'd like to visit.  This involved some taxi rides which you would have to budget for if you do the same thing, and it's worth leaving any destination enough in advance of the ship leaving to make it back with a bit of time to spare (I found taxis on Sundays a bit too uncommon for my liking).

My cruise didn't do La Gomera so I can't help there I'm afraid.

Our cruise had a number of sea days so we flung ourselves into whatever activities were going to make the most of the cruise experience, including quizzes (which I like - we even won one), bingo and the most hilarious was indoor golf - they set up a putting area where participants had to put golf balls through holes in boards to gain points, the serious golfers turned up in all the gear.  It sounds easy but of course the ship is swaying so the balls can't be putted in a straight line.  Anyway my wife who had never played golf in her life won to the consternation of the serious golfers.  There were so many different activities that you could easily fill your day in the intervals between filling your stomach with too much delicious food three times a day.

The weather in the Canaries was great, just like early summer days - they don't have much rain.

If I had to recommend only one attraction in the Canaries it would be Timanfaya on Lanzarote - its a national park entirely of a volcano and volcanic dust, you can't walk around it, coach tour only, but it's like nothing else I've seen.  Just a personal preference.

I hope that you really enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonthefox said:

I went cruising with George Michael once. Not what i was expecting tbh

George, I can’t understand it as the window is closed, but I swear I keep getting a splash of sea water on me in the night.

I have a question for anyone who's been on a p&o cruise. What do you do if you don't want to dress up for formal evenings? Important to remember i'm a greb ffs and the thought of dressing up doesn't appeal at all.

8 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I have a question for anyone who's been on a p&o cruise. What do you do if you don't want to dress up for formal evenings? Important to remember i'm a greb ffs and the thought of dressing up doesn't appeal at all.

@Milo

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I think you can just eat at one of the other restaurants if you don't want to do formal night, but @FoyleFoxwill know for sure

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

“I’m meant to be the fvcking prince of darkness Sharon” 

😂😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

You’ll be fine. Years ago you would be treated like a leper for not dressing up on the formal nights (and years and years ago there were 3 dress codes that you had to follow). 
Nowadays the P&O ships are big enough, and society in general more relaxed, that you won’t feel uncomfortable with being underdressed.  The ships all have a pub type bar and casual dining restaurant options that will have a mix and match of dressed up/not dressed up people on the formal nights. There are signs outside some of the posher bars reminding people that it’s a formal night and there is an expectation that you’d comply. But plenty of options that you don’t need to worry. 
A two week cruise will typically have 3 or 4 formal nights and for many it’s a big part of the tradition of cruising. 

Aurora is probably the stuffiest of the fleet, and even that’s not too bad. 

If you tried not dressing up on a Cunard ship you’d likely get keelhauled, though. 😬

For info, we’ve got three booked this year - One Cunard one next month and a couple with P&O. Tux and sparkly frocks will be packed (I’ll let you decide which one is mine)! 

2 hours ago, jonthefox said:

You're made to walk the plank...:D

Different cruise lines have different rules, I've never sailed with P&O but Milo has you covered. 

On 15/04/2024 at 23:21, FoyleFox said:

No but was looking at an offer on a Japan cruise and stay itinerary this morning. Any idea how expensive Japan is, food and drinks etc, whilst you're there?

Just returned from a three week tour of Japan. People are so friendly and helpful.Yen v Pound means not expensive at the moment and we brought money back with us. 
If possible go when the Cherry Blossom is out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Glenny24 said:

Just returned from a three week tour of Japan. People are so friendly and helpful.Yen v Pound means not expensive at the moment and we brought money back with us. 
If possible go when the Cherry Blossom is out.

Any recommendations? I’m going in November for 10 nights.

On 17/04/2024 at 00:44, FoyleFox said:

It's genuinely a myth that cruises are for old people these days @FoxesDeb Unless it's a longer repositioning cruise. Our last was 28 nights and the demographic was mature!

All of the cruises I've been on except 1, I've had a cabin at the front and always on a high deck. Alledgedly the worst position for motion. 99% of the time I've never felt the ship moving whilst in the cabin, in normal seas, usually its only the vibration of the engines when departing port. Lots of the bigger ships have stabilisers these days to reduce the effects of motion. Are you going on P&O Azura by any chance? 

Madiera is beautiful. You can walk from the dock to the town. The cable car up to the gardens at the top gives great views of the island. If you're brave,  there's a wooden toboggan back down. 

On 17/04/2024 at 18:33, Crinklyfox said:

Deb I'm not an experienced cruiser, in fact my wife and I only did one, but that was to Madeira and the Canaries, also in November,

I can't comment on the position of your cabin as I deliberately took one in the centre lower part of the ship.  Even in that position there was significant movement on one night as we went across the Bay of Biscay, nothing on the rest of the journey of any significance including the Bay of Biscay on the return leg.  I was told by a more experienced cruiser that 'the more you pay, the more you sway' as movement was more accentuated in the posh cabins on the upper decks.  

Madeira was our first port of call - we took the cable car up the mountain and spent some time in the botanical gardens at the top (my wife likes gardens),  There are other attractions up there and the cable car is an experience and a relatively short walk from the dock.  There was a market on the way to the cable car which my wife also liked.

The cruise offered a number of tours at each destination but we did our own thing, I did a bit of research in advanced and worked out which places we'd like to visit.  This involved some taxi rides which you would have to budget for if you do the same thing, and it's worth leaving any destination enough in advance of the ship leaving to make it back with a bit of time to spare (I found taxis on Sundays a bit too uncommon for my liking).

My cruise didn't do La Gomera so I can't help there I'm afraid.

Our cruise had a number of sea days so we flung ourselves into whatever activities were going to make the most of the cruise experience, including quizzes (which I like - we even won one), bingo and the most hilarious was indoor golf - they set up a putting area where participants had to put golf balls through holes in boards to gain points, the serious golfers turned up in all the gear.  It sounds easy but of course the ship is swaying so the balls can't be putted in a straight line.  Anyway my wife who had never played golf in her life won to the consternation of the serious golfers.  There were so many different activities that you could easily fill your day in the intervals between filling your stomach with too much delicious food three times a day.

The weather in the Canaries was great, just like early summer days - they don't have much rain.

If I had to recommend only one attraction in the Canaries it would be Timanfaya on Lanzarote - its a national park entirely of a volcano and volcanic dust, you can't walk around it, coach tour only, but it's like nothing else I've seen.  Just a personal preference.

I hope that you really enjoy your cruise.

Thanks both, I feel a bit better about the cabin choice :)  We're sailing in and out of Tenerife, it's only a very cheap couple of hours flight away for us so it makes sense, and hopefully we won't have to contend with anything too choppy. 

We've actually chosen to go with the German arm of TUI, TUI Cruises. Like Marella but cheaper, without the Brits, and smoking is allowed on balconies :ph34r:

Already planning a couple more, a week round the UAE out of Dubai and a fortnight out of Singapore, taking in Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Hopefully we like it in November, but I'm sure it will suit us, I'll let you both know how it goes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks both, I feel a bit better about the cabin choice :)  We're sailing in and out of Tenerife, it's only a very cheap couple of hours flight away for us so it makes sense, and hopefully we won't have to contend with anything too choppy. 

We've actually chosen to go with the German arm of TUI, TUI Cruises. Like Marella but cheaper, without the Brits, and smoking is allowed on balconies :ph34r:

Already planning a couple more, a week round the UAE out of Dubai and a fortnight out of Singapore, taking in Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Hopefully we like it in November, but I'm sure it will suit us, I'll let you both know how it goes.

Our stops in Madeira and Canaries were part of a transatlantic sailing so just passing by, all were in Oct or Nov though, and I don't recall any choppy seas.

Hopefully you have a great time. I really enjoyed our UAE cruise from Dubai. I also loved Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand - although we weren't actually supposed to visit them, but it transpired an Asia cruise from Shanghai in February 2020 became, a bit, let's call it, awkward and the itinerary changed a bit :huh:

I know cruising doesn't appeal to everyone, but I love waking up somewhere new each day, or just relaxing by the pool on other days. Plus, if you want lots to keep you busy, there are lots of activities and entertainment. Or, if you're me, you don't have to join in with anything at all.

Flight from Heathrow was £250 cheaper than flying from Brum…But, train would have cost over £200 and hotel the night before is costing £260. 

Still, extra night away from the family \o/